Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
I did mine cab-on back in 2015 I think. Been going strong since with fel-pros. Put on about 50k trouble free miles with just oil changes, fuel filters, and diesel fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
I hear alto about resurfacing the block when you do a head job. Did any of you mic your block prior to the new install? Is this an issue that should be of concern?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Very detailed pics at each step...... had a 03 6.0 for 4 years now and I’ve done hg, studs, oil cooler, well you get the idea..... anyways, I’m getting to the point where I see these images when I sleep
Wish I had your thread when I did my hpop this winter.

·
Registered
150 Posts
so I hear...... 6.0s don’t have many head bolts so lifting the head off the block becomes easier with added power. But I’m not an expert

·
Premium Member
1,697 Posts
@iqraceworks
Hey so are you on the stock/orig oil cooler? My deltas are within 4-6 degrees and im on what i think is my original cooler at 197K. BPD EGR so im not worries about that.

if i can get away with JUST doing the gaskets like you did, this will make it rather affordable for me. ive already done other maint like STC, etc. but figured id ask.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
@iqraceworks
Hey so are you on the stock/orig oil cooler? My deltas are within 4-6 degrees and im on what i think is my original cooler at 197K. BPD EGR so im not worries about that.

if i can get away with JUST doing the gaskets like you did, this will make it rather affordable for me. ive already done other maint like STC, etc. but figured id ask.
Yep....just running the stock oil cooler. My deltas are around 5-7 degrees unloaded on the highway. When I'm towing the camper they run between 7-12deg..I've seen 15dege a few times if I get to the top of the hill and the fan kicks on and drops the coolant temp really fast. So far I'm not regretting the Felpro HG's and ARP studs I went with. Everything is working great. No, I didn't go with O-rings in the heads, I just had them surfaced so that they are flat. No issues as of yet....truck's still running like a champ.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for this writeup. Did you choose felpro for any reason specifically? I might be doing this soon and figure I would just do what you did.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Thanks for this writeup. Did you choose felpro for any reason specifically? I might be doing this soon and figure I would just do what you did.
Yes....a few reasons why I went with the Felpro Head Gaskets. The local diesel performance shop in my area will ONLY warranty "bullet proofing" work if they use FEl-PRO head gaskets. If you want another brand, they will not warranty the work. The have told me that they have never had a Felpro Head Gasket fail on any of the motors they have done. I figured that had to be worth something. So when I started researching them, it looks like Felpro actually came out with an updated 6.0 head gasket....with some added features that aid in sealing. After searching google, diesel forums, any everywhere else...I never found a single person saying that they had a Felpro HG fail....as long as the heads were flat and prepped right.

Felpro has a tech document out on the 6.0 head gaskets....search google and you can find it. They are great gaskets, designed specifically to address the sealing issues on the 6.0's....and it's Felpro, they know gaskets.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Running like a top! Put around 700 miles on the truck so far.....pulling some weight. No issues, running great!
Great write up, thanks. Mine has 115k on it 100% stock and runs perfect. Did have the injectors replaced a month ago. The egr is original and when checked last month was clean. I do religiously use a fuel additive mostly amzoil or PS. I keep asking myself, should i do the head bolts or wait....

81 - 94 of 94 Posts