Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
His original post...

My 1999 F-250 7.3L diesel is hard to start after sitting 4 or 5 hours. I have pulled the codes and I get P1211, P1212, P1247. I have reset back to factory settings and all 3 modes of my tuner with no change. Once I get it started it revs high then bogs down and stalls I restart. This may happen 3 to 5 times. Once the engine gets to full operating temperature she runs normal no further issue until she is shutdown for a few hours. I am leaning towards the EBPV but not sure. The toss up is EBPV and MAP Sensor. I have run the tests for the 1211 and 1212 codes all is well. I have checked all fluid levels as well. Stopped by the Ford Dealer in Clarksville and was told they are backed up for the next 10-14 days. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
We data logged it this afternoon as it seems to be gettin worse. It's luggin while goin down the road now. He detuned, and I cleared all his codes before we started. His DC's and ICP at idle looked fine to me. DC maybe a touch high for no tune. But about normal. His MAP looked normal. I couldn't get any reading out his throttle sensor though. But, if it was bad, it wouldn't even move. It'd put the truck in limp right? I'm still learning, and not sure exactly what I'm supposed to see out EBV, but it didn't kick any codes while I was in it.

His ICP sensor is the cleanest I've ever seen. Looked brand new. The whole motor is as clean as I've ever seen. Not even a trace of anything leaking in the valley. His fuel bowl is full. Nothing that I can visually see wrong with anything.

I'll attach the data log. He goes WOT from line 6 to line 21. He backed out and the pressure spiked in 22. Notice it drops to 338 at one point! And goes up and down. It continued to act up through 26 where it spiked again, then drove normal for the rest of the log. We didn't go WOT again though. Notice though, that his DC's climb normally. Now, with my old HPOP and no tuning, the DC's never got over 38%, but I was easily at 3000 ICP.

It kicked another 1211 code when we went WOT, but nothing on EBV.

So, this data log looks almost like really bad tuning to me.

Could it be a bad ICP even though it's clean? I've seen 'em full of oil and the truck still runs fine. IPR maybe? Or is it time for a new HPOP? With nothing leaking, and as clean as the motor looks, I don't know what to think about the data I see.

Techs, if there's something else I need to look at, lemme know. Please include any parameters it should be within too.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As this was a pretty obvious problem, we stopped lookin at things, so if y'all know what else we need to look at, post up please.

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump for the night crew. It's his daily driver. Gimme some ideas. We don't wanna throw parts at a problem 'til it goes away.

·
Premium Member
5,133 Posts
The way the ICP jumps all over the place is crazy. Would a "sticking" IPR cause those results?

·
Registered
190 Posts
All if anyone has a solid lead as to what we should replace please jump in and help. As Tommyboy said this is my daily driver, normally not a big deal I would just ride my motorcycle. However, that is not an option for me as I had knee surgery last week and cannot even sit on the bike let alone ride it. I would appreciate any help that someone could provide. It is getting worse by the day and I drive 42 miles each way to work and back.

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
Im with Shane here

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You think the IPR is stuck Dave and Shane? Kinda on the track we were on, we just hoped to be a little more sure before we started throwin parts. Any other way to test for that?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Wait man this could be a leaking injector! or check ball. You should get the truck to the point that it dont want to start, let it sit over night and pull the plug on the top of the hpop reservor. and see if it is low. this would make the reading go all over the place too. It should be full to the top. and if it is low then top it off and see if this will do the trick. and if you already checked this sorry its late and im realy tired. buck check the oil on the front top part of the motor under the plastic cover.

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I know what you're talkin about. We'll look. And I'll run a buzz test on his injectors, and a contribution test on the cylinders. To the best of our knowledge though, the truck isn't using any oil.

·
Tennessee Powerstrokes
2,830 Posts
Yeah, I know what you're talkin about. We'll look. And I'll run a buzz test on his injectors, and a contribution test on the cylinders. To the best of our knowledge though, the truck isn't using any oil.
No Offence to anyone else intended here, but we need Scruffy828's input on this.

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a used IPR, so we're not really gonna be out anything anyway. And we haven't really got much input, and the input it right along what we were thinkin.

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well...

It's not the IPR... The one I put in it today, worked perfectly. His truck still ain't runnin right. It still drops to 3- something a second after goin wide open.

After a couple tests we didn't take the time to do the other day...

The number 8 cylinder injector contibution ballance failed. P0284.

During the Key On Engine Running test, the EBV Range/Performance fails. P0476.

During the Key On Engine Off test, Turbo Boost Sensor A Range/Performance fails. P0263.

Also, after I swapped IPR's and we fired it up. We had a Cam Position Sensor A circuit intermittent (Bank 1 or Single Sensor?). P0344. He had the recall completed in May though.

There were a couple other codes, but they're all obviously associated with the ICP bein way low, and spiking. So we need to figure out what, other than a stuck IPR, could be causin his pressure to go crazy.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Man you realy need to check the oil not on the dip stick but you will have to pull the puge to check it. and it will not use oil. this could very well be a leaking injector o ring.

·
Registered
781 Posts
this pic is hard to see but i will try to get a good one up in the morning.

Attachments

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Man you realy need to check the oil not on the dip stick but you will have to pull the puge to check it. and it will not use oil. this could very well be a leaking injector o ring.
I know the one you're talkin about. And if that's empty, coupled with the #8 failin the contribution test, we would have pretty solid evidence that the #8 injector is shot?

·
Registered
781 Posts
ya very well could be. but could also be a bad oring. if it is low then you could send them to rosewood diesel and have them tests all of them. but it is located in the front of the vaily it you pull of the cover thta it on the top of the motor that says powerstroke then you will see a plug that is an allen head. you pull that out the then the oil sould be all of the way to the top.

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes I'm very familiar with HPOP resivor port. The local dealer is backed up right now, and Gators shop ain't finished yet. I'm sure we could pull his injectors, but... I'd hate to leave a truck sittin outside with the heads torn down, and he drives it to work and back everyday. We ain't far from Swamps, Beans, and Casserly. So flow testin would be easy. We just need to be sure it's and injector before we tear that down. How else can I test his injectors.

As I understand it, the resivor drainin out overnight is a sign.

The contribution balance test is another.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts