Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my brother-in-law's 7.3L diesel shut off and now it won't restart. think it might be something in the fuel system. maybe injectors? maybe relays? fuel flow not there. any suggestions?:confused:

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
does the tach move when trying to crank?? if not, go to Ford dealer for a free CPS replacement to start.

if still won't start, watch to see if the "wait to start" light comes on. if not, you have a blow fuse.

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Is there fuel in the tank. Just because the gauge says there is don't mean there is. I suggest you put 5-10 gallons in the tank and try to start up the truck. It may take a bit to prime the system. But it should fire after a few tries.

If this does not work then you need to check the fuel pump out. Scan for codes, your going to need to test the hpop as well. You will aslo need to test the idm too. So I suggest you get ahold of a diagnostic computer or someone with Auto enginuity. That way you can run tests and check for codes.

Also you may want to check the cps as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my brother-in-law's 7.3L diesel shut off and now it won't restart. think it might be something in the fuel system. maybe injectors? maybe relays? fuel flow not there. any suggestions?:confused:
more info...1994-95 7.3L. truck shutoff on its own. tachometer moves when cranked. acts like it wants to start. fuel not getting to all injectors.
Is there a relay or wiring problem to keep injectors from opening?:help1:

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
The tach movement isn't valid after 2000, since this is a 94 my bet would be CPS, they are only $28 and you should have a spare anyway, I would change it and see if she starts, if not you have your spare. You really need to have it read for codes if this doesn't fix it. Not sure if a 94 is OBDII compliant. I know the 99-03's aren't. You really should try and post this in the OBS section you will get a better response.

NCH

·
Registered
31 Posts
$28.00, or $128.00? I paid $132.xx for mine, but I got it from a dealer... Overpriced... Well maybe, but it still works, 4yrs later. I'm sure they're less now regardless where they come from.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
The tach movement isn't valid after 2000, since this is a 94 my bet would be CPS, they are only $28 and you should have a spare anyway, I would change it and see if she starts, if not you have your spare. You really need to have it read for codes if this doesn't fix it. Not sure if a 94 is OBDII compliant. I know the 99-03's aren't. You really should try and post this in the OBS section you will get a better response.

NCH
Then why would you plug AE into your OBDII port if it is not OBDII compliant? I have never understood this. OBD II is newer than OBDI so why would a 94 be OBDII and the 99-03 not?

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
It's not the port that's OBDII, it is simply a connection, it is the computer language the two use to communicate with each other. You have been around diesel forums a long time, you know the fact that the generic scan tools from AZ, Advance etc.... don't work with our trucks without the specific software bundle for our trucks, this is because once a vehicle goes above a sepecific GVWR they don't have to be OBDII compliant, they can use their own codes and communication system in those vehicles. Our trucks fall into this catagory. How many times have you read posts where somebody argues they have no stored codes because the dude a pep boys checked it and said so, only to find out later that when a proper scan tool was used the codes were retrieved and pointed to the problem? When you buy the AE software, you must buy the one compatible with our trucks. I hope this helps.
NCH

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
$28.00, or $128.00? I paid $132.xx for mine, but I got it from a dealer... Overpriced... Well maybe, but it still works, 4yrs later. I'm sure they're less now regardless where they come from.

Where have you been?? lol!!! probably close to a year ago Ferd introduced the new improved CPS selling at all dealers for $30 or less. The only thing that really changed was the part number went from ending in A to B. Ferd finally got enough people complaining about $130 for a simple magnetic counter, they decided they need to do something about it. Nonetheless they made 100's of thousands on CPS 's for many years. Prior to this most of us bought them on Ebay for around $50 in sealed Ferd packaging. Bob at Powerstrokeshop.com sells the new CPS's for under $16, I highly recommend everyone carry a spare and the tools to change it on the side of the road. You will need a 10 mm socket, 3" extension, ratchet, and a flat blade screwdriver to pry the old one out.
Good Day

NCH

·
Registered
796 Posts
If not the CPS I would check the wires under the valve covers I fought my truck for a week trying to figure why it wouldn't start and that was it might as well put fords stupid shim kit in to while you have the covers off just to save hassle down the road.

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
It's not the port that's OBDII, it is simply a connection, it is the computer language the two use to communicate with each other. You have been around diesel forums a long time, you know the fact that the generic scan tools from AZ, Advance etc.... don't work with our trucks without the specific software bundle for our trucks, this is because once a vehicle goes above a sepecific GVWR they don't have to be OBDII compliant, they can use their own codes and communication system in those vehicles. Our trucks fall into this catagory. How many times have you read posts where somebody argues they have no stored codes because the dude a pep boys checked it and said so, only to find out later that when a proper scan tool was used the codes were retrieved and pointed to the problem? When you buy the AE software, you must buy the one compatible with our trucks. I hope this helps.
NCH
You are 100% correct... except I question the GVRW part. In my snap-on OBDII books, they state that anything over 14000 would not be OBDII. The same "generic ODB II" cartridge works on my diesel or my Jeep.

I believe the reason that most scanners do not read the powerstrokes properly is that they do not have all the codes defined or ranged. They only incorporate the codes that they know 99% of the cars/light trucks will have. Which is odd, our trucks are still considered "light trucks".

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Sorry but it does have to do with the GVWR , a vehicle is either OBDII compliant 100% or it isn't. There is no partial compliance. I can research and find the exact numbers if you wish. Could you imagine the nightmare mechanics would have if every vehicle manufacturer could be partialy compliant but then throw in their own codes to be different? They made them all comply below a certain GVWR so they would all be the same and use the same code readers etc.... Our Superduties exceed this GVWR and therefore aren't OBDII compliant.

NCH

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
94? I say CPS. Mine was bad and my tach still moved.
:thumb:Thanks, it was the CPS unit in his truck.

Now, can anyone recommend where my brother-in-law can get a decent manual for his truck? Ours does not cover his year. Plus it's difficult to explain things to him when he's in San Antonio and we're in Ohio

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Haynes has a nice manual, the factory book is nice too.

·
Registered
185 Posts
i never realized these cps failures were leaving trucks on the side of the road without restarting. my best friend is the original, and only previous owner of my 2000 f350 7.3, and he was saying how when his cam sensor went the service engine light was on for months. he said maybe even 10k miles. he scanned it when it first came on, but let it go. and finally it started to stall on him, but it started back up first try always. i knew a kid who had a little crappy ford contour, and his light came on. he scanned it, and it was the cam sensor. he neglected to replace it, and kept driving the car for a few months until he sold it with no problems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts