Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to install a 6637 filter (Wix 46637) in my 2000 F-350 to see how much the noise level changed. I had my wife take some video from the back seat while I did a few roll-ons from 30 to 60mph with the truck floored, plus some cruising at 60mph. I really didn't hear any difference at all, certainly not enough to pick up in the video (using a good Canon video camera), so there wasn't any point in posting it for comparison.

I pulled out the old air box lid, filter, and air box, leaving the battery mount and air snorkel in place. I used a 3" section of 4" exhaust pipe, deburred, to hook the filter up to the existing intake elbow that had previously been connected to the air box lid.

I have decent hearing, and the turbo whine was almost imperceptibly louder, and I heard a slight "whoosh" as the turbo spun down between gear changes (ZF-6).

I'm curious what other mods folks have done that cause tons of turbo whine and other complaints that I've heard attributed to the 6637/Tymar air filter setup.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I didn't notice a big differance either, but I could hear the air coming into the turbo better.

If you looking for more noise then do a foil delete and maybe a WW.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol...I'm not looking for more noise. Maybe folks just tend to exaggerate, but some people have said "OMG! The turbo whine is HORRIBLE with a 6637", that sort of thing. So....I didn't really know what to expect.

·
Banned
287 Posts
mine was pretty decent but i have a 5" exhaust, wicked wheel and foil delete also.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Well on my E99 I have a WW stock, as well as no foil and a 4in exhaust, so with that combination the turbo noise was pretty loud. I also live in a very hilly part of the country, so when you'd get chugging up some of those 2-mile hills at 75mph that sucker would sure be screaming. I didn't mind too much, I have grown to like my quieter intake better, but my biggest concern with the 6637 was water intrusion, which drove me to the AIS. If I lived in a drier climate, I'd probably still be running the open element.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I have 6637's on all my Superduty's... even the Excursion, and you can hardly hear the diffrence on it, likely due to the better sound deadening on the Ex... the F-350 with the DP Tuner, much more noticable, probly due to the hole in the fire wall I haven't closed up yet and foil delete... the F-250 (6sp) hardly ever hear the 'whoosh' like I do on the other 2 auto trucks... still trying to come up with a better air intake/cleaner system on the E350 work van, it really needs it, the air box it cracked/broken. As far as I'm concerned, any noise increase is minor, and well worth it for the benifit of the huge air filter when compaired to stock. Both the F250 and the Excursion got the 6637 treatment within 100 miles of when I got them, as well as straight pipe on the F250, and I'd bet the Ex follows the straight pipe path soon...

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I really only hear the noise when the windows are down.

When up hardly noticable...but it is a diesel...

When down..the kids immitate the engine noise when towing:doh::doh:

Guess I just like to hear a diesel engine run...it's when I don't hear noise is when I worry:nod:

But...to each their own,the 6.4 and 6.7's are way too quiet for me..I like noise:woot:

But..I did notice a noise increase to the larger intake filter though..just for the record:wink[3]:

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
I heard more air noise but no turbo noise. Once I did the foil delete, I was happier :hehe:
More compressor whistle.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
not much difference here either. but with my OBS the diffrence was HUGE. i couldnt stop playing with it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Well on my E99 I have a WW stock, as well as no foil and a 4in exhaust, so with that combination the turbo noise was pretty loud. I also live in a very hilly part of the country, so when you'd get chugging up some of those 2-mile hills at 75mph that sucker would sure be screaming. I didn't mind too much, I have grown to like my quieter intake better, but my biggest concern with the 6637 was water intrusion, which drove me to the AIS. If I lived in a drier climate, I'd probably still be running the open element.
I agree with you Completely! The noise difference on a late 99 or newer is basically nothing except for when you let off. If you add a WW of course it sounds about the same as an early 99. While I was driving back from vacation I kept thinking to myself I wish I had a stock intake so the whine wasn't so annoying.... In fact after I put the open element on I drove it for a day and pulled the stocker out of the trash and put it on the shelf because it was kind of annoying already.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I did a tymar and while i was at it i did the foil delete, man its crazy at how much louder the turbo sound is. Before i couldnt tell i had a turbo now you can hear it windows down or up, i bought a ww and a buddy asked if i installed it yet and i said nope :rofl:

Mine whines no matter what and the more throttle the louder the whine, i cant imagine a ww or what a 38r sounds like. I actually popped the hood to check to see if its still hooked up its that much louder :nod:

·
Registered
305 Posts
On my early 99 it is not much different with the 6637 or the stocker just driving the truck around by its self. The turbo has always been loud and I don't mind that, however towing over 10,000lbs at interstate speeds it gets a very annoying intake drone noise.

·
Registered
549 Posts
On my early 99 it is not much different with the 6637 or the stocker just driving the truck around by its self. The turbo has always been loud and I don't mind that, however towing over 10,000lbs at interstate speeds it gets a very annoying intake drone noise.
mines gets loud underload so i wounder how its gonna be when hooked up to something, i could see it getting annoying on long trips.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just have a drone to what i think is associated with the 6637. it gets worse with a load on it. Thats the only thing that bothers me with it. WW to come in the near future.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
I just have a drone to what i think is associated with the 6637. it gets worse with a load on it. Thats the only thing that bothers me with it. WW to come in the near future.
If that bothers you then you'll hate the WW :woot:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Really? I figured it would give it more of that whistle we all love. Well some of us. Not drone more.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Well yea you're right. It made sense in my head.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Mine has the factory WW and i have the 6637 intake...I like the whistle sound,if my windows are up..not bad at all,radio or conversation no problem,even when hooked up to 12,000 lbs.

No factory foil either....maybe I just love the sound:dunno:

It's just all in what one likes or not-that's one decision:nod:

I just see the louder-the more power:hehe:

But that's just my opinion:nod:

Do what makes you happy...it's all good:wink[3]:

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Every time I do one of these mods, I quicky forget how much it made a difference. If I set my truck back to 100% stock, I'd probably sell it tomorow :hehe:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts