Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

My 6.7 fuel pump install

89K views 218 replies 44 participants last post by  junior125 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Did a lot of work to the truck last year including the addition of 190/30 injectors and a custom regulated return woth a fuel bowl delete and with fuel being fed from the rear of the heads. Previously I had installed a 6.4 pump before my HFCM. After I got the truck back together and added a fuel pressure gauge, I saw that I would drop from 60 to 40 psi on a WOT run. Which leads me to this, after comptemplating a custom Fuelab setup I decided to chose the 6.7 pump. Here is the parts list for what I have gathered to build my system. I listed where I picked everything up from as well. My system is going to tie into the custom regulated return I built with 6AN hose. My plan for fuel flow is as follows: Sump- 6.7 pump- Cat fuel filter on frame - "Y" feeding the rear of heads- existing regulated return - back to tank with 1/2 return added to factory sender. I will update as I progress.

1× PFB-103-BC3Z-9G282-E 6.7 pump only (no bracket) (Ebay)
1× BC3Z-9A335-E Bracket for the pump (Ford)
1× WPT-778 3U2Z-14S411-EUAA Pigtail for pump power (Ford)
1× 84-899785K30 Mercury marine relay harness and wiring kit ( from my work)
4× 716-08-08-BLK Speedflow 1/2 efi adaptor fittings 8AN (Ebay)
1× Wix 24770 fuel filter head (Amazon)
1× Cat 1R-0749 fuel filter (Amazon)
2× AER-FBM5008 Aeromotive 1/2 NPT-8AN adaptor (Summit part #)
3× FRA-209008-BL Fragola 90° 8AN fitting (Summit #)
6× FRA-200108-BL Fragola 8AN straight fitting (Summit #)
1× VPE-10432 Vibrant 8AN-6AN reducer (Summit #)
1× VPE- 10807 Vibrant 8AN-6AN "Y" (Summit #)
2 × FRA-871508 15ft Fragola 8AN push lock hose (Summit #)
1× Vulcan 1/2×5ft 8AN fire sleeve (Amazon)
1× EAR 165108 8AN to 1/2 tube adaptor (ANPLUMBING.com)
1× EAR100037 1/2 Aluminum tube 10" (ANPLUMBING.com)
1× EAR992408 8AN bulkhead nut (ANPLUMBING.com)
1× EAR983208 8AN bulkhead fitting (ANPLUMBING.com)

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks like a good build. Interested in pics and and how it all pans out for you, I plan on doing this in the next year or so.
:popcorn:

#4 ·
Thanks, no pics yet. I haven't done anything. It's my season at work so have been super busy, so finding time to do projects like this is scarce. I plan on knocking it out over a coming weekend.

#5 ·
Please go way overboard on pics. Pics of every detail. I'm about to start on this same thing on mine. Did I mention pics?

#6 ·
Thanks for the wright up.
I am looking to replace my Airdog II at some point.

#7 ·
May I ask what benefits this has over an airdog or fass fuel pump?

#8 ·
It does just as good of a job, and is available at any dealership or parts store.

#10 ·
What are you planning to do with the 6.7 filter? If you keep it do you have to buy the upper and lower as a set and just toss the upper one away?
Thanks for the list. You can use most of these parts and adapt it to a 7.3.

#12 ·
Gonna be a sweet setup for sure.
Will be watching this, as my 6.4 pump prob wont hold with my next injector upgrade.....

#13 ·
what is the difference between the 6.4 and the 6.7 pumps? pressure? volume of fuel? I couldn't find any data or the pumps themselves.

#14 ·
Anybody have any data on these pumps yet? I know a few guys running them, but not much data.

I am about to put together another project that will eventually make its way up to higher HP numbers. Does anyone know how big of injectors the 6.7 pump will support?

#15 ·
MPD and Juggernaut are the only two who come to mind who have really pushed the pump to it's limits. MPD says it held up to 285s.

Reactions: peixinho
#17 ·
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0l-performance-parts-discussion/613890-6-7-l-pump-install-beginning-pic-heavy.html

Here is the thread that started it all for me. Juggernaut did some testing on this and the water seperating that the pump/filter is capable of. As far as the lengths of hose I purchased... I haven't done the install yet, I just haven't had the time. Had a few questions on the materials I acquired for the install and decided to start a thread. I always buy a little extra when getting into projects like this because when I finally get time to doing it, I gotta get it done quick, my truck can't be down long, so I would rather pick up more than I need. I will post what what I actually used in the end.

#18 ·
Thats a good write up... pretty wild how well that pump gets rid of water. I definitely understand the idea of just using the Ford filter. Only issue i see is the Baldwin/CAT/Donaldson water separator filter only runs about $18-ish. The set of 2 filters for the 6.7 run what? $50? $60? So unless you do your RR into the back of the heads and run the inline filter, you're paying quite a bit more everytime. Almost makes sense to just set up a second Filter mount and run a pre-pump water separator.

#19 ·
I have no idea if it's possible to run a dummy filter in the 6.7 pump, the 6.0 HFCM in my current setup has one and I have no issues. I have no problem paying a little extra on filters, just a drop in the bucket to what I have already put into this thing..FWIW, Here is the Donaldson equivalent to that cat filter:

Donaldson P551311 Fuel Filter Caterpillar

#22 ·
Yeah, I know.... I haven't got to this one yet. Still trying to find time to do it. It will happen soon.

#23 ·
Sailfish season is about to start, all those boys with V-rods will be out chasing billfish and you will have plenty of time! Lol.

How many backwards steps do you think you have to make from your current 6.4/6.0 pump setup?
How is your sump holding up?

#25 ·
Anybody know the amperage protection needed for both the 6.0 and 6.7 pumps ? Could
we not activate the new 6.7 relay using the existing wiring that's there for the 6.0 ?
This way your not messing with any fuse panel wiring and it would be a clean install
with a heavier set of wires from the battery to the pump (6.7) thru the new relay activated by the 6.0 circuit . Just need to fuse at the battery ( or a circuit breaker ) @
whatever amperage is needed .

#26 ·
I got a 40 amp with my relay harness. The wiring kit I have has a slick little fuse assembly, I already drilled and tapped the plate on driver's side fender and mounted both of them, to the untrained eye, you would swear it was factory. The kit also comes with quite a bit of 10 gauge duplex.

#28 ·
Whats the actual amp draw on the 6.7 pump?