Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

161 - 180 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, my alternator seems to always stay around 12.8, even after the glow plugs turn off. However, it goes up to about 13.5 when i rev it. I took it to O’Reilly s and they said it was good... took it to an alternator shop and they tell me it’s not lol smh.

Does anyone know if the alternator shuts off at WOT? My thought process is that if it does the pump is running solely on battery? Possibly lowering the voltage at the pump when at WOT?

I’m testing the pressure at the Y right before the heads, with a snap on power stoke fuel pressure tester kit. It matches the regulated return gauge.

I also see a small drop in pressure while at idling when i press on th pedal.

Everything seems to point at pump..how would you guys go about trouble shooting this?

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
Dead head it and momentarily power it up , like I said it's a quick cheap test for the pump to see if it has any "guts " . You may be on to something on the power side though , I don't think anybody has had issues with this pump , and I've done a lot of reading .
It's a pretty stout pump . Good thinking on your part . Let us know what you find out .

·
Love all, Trust a Few...
4,820 Posts
Installed one on a truck with the stock fuel system, only thing we did was install the pump. Still has stock secondary fuel filter. Set it to 75 psi using the blue dog fpr. Doesn’t drop more than 10 psi. Running 225/30’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,721 Posts
Well, my alternator seems to always stay around 12.8, even after the glow plugs turn off. However, it goes up to about 13.5 when i rev it. I took it to O’Reilly s and they said it was good... took it to an alternator shop and they tell me it’s not lol smh.

Does anyone know if the alternator shuts off at WOT? My thought process is that if it does the pump is running solely on battery? Possibly lowering the voltage at the pump when at WOT?

I’m testing the pressure at the Y right before the heads, with a snap on power stoke fuel pressure tester kit. It matches the regulated return gauge.

I also see a small drop in pressure while at idling when i press on th pedal.

Everything seems to point at pump..how would you guys go about trouble shooting this?
LOL

No the alt does NOT stop producing power at WOT or at any set rpm.

The stock alternators are a pathetic choice made by Ford.
Get at least a 140 amp unit closer to 200 amp is far away your best option.

Lox has some good info there. Nice to see the 6.7 pump can be swapped without a tank drop. That’s a big job that will eat your entire day. I know because I have done it 3 times myself on these trucks to install aftermarket pumps.

Best thing about the 6.7 is it’s a common pump on the shelves across the country. Can’t say that about FASS or AirDog.

Dump that alternator tho. Everything will thank you, like FICM, fuel pump and electronics too.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Well, I guess this thread is still going. 6.7 pump still holding strong! Lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This might sound dumb, but how are you actually connecting the hoses onto the pump quick connects? The speedflow fittings listed in the original post show male fittings and the pump also has male fittings.

Am i missing something?

Thanks
Tim

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
Skip the Speedflow efi fittings and AN6 to 1/2" barb stuff . You end up with way to much stuff hanging off the pump . I tore mine all out and went with the 6.7 plastic line connectors straight to the hose . It's a nice clean set up . You can get them at NAPA for very little cost . They make them to fit both feed and return sizes , 1/2" and 12mm .

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am finally about to install my 6.7 pump while I’m replacing my heads and moving up to the KC Stage 2 to pair up with my 175/30 Holder Premiums and also looking hard at the ODawg SR3 intake manifold. Merc82, I’m glad your pump is still holding up, thanks for all the information guys. I will keep this thread going when I get started.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Very nice Lox, I have an ‘03 Excursion. Looks like yours is newer judging by the HPOP.
I may pull my cab to do my heads and go ahead and clean and paint the frame then knock out the fuel system. You probably post it somewhere but can you give the rundown on your 6.7 fuel system? I can see most of it on the video but just like more in depth information to compare to others so I can do my own. I see a sump on yours and was contemplating this but I need to drop my tank anyway to remove the stock hitch assembly from the frame and fab my mounting brackets for my upgraded full replacement rear bumper so I may go with the RiffRaff 5/8” pickup in the sending unit. I like the XDP sump with built in fuel return. The great thing about the Excursion is the skid plate and tank placement works better to protect the sump from getting compromised if you run over something.
I am thinking I’ll do the 6.7 secondary filter and delete my upper fuel bowl because I already installed the Driven Diesel standard regulated return without the fuel bowl delete. I am guessing your filter on the frame is taking the place of the secondary 6.7 filter, it’s placement doesn’t seem like a pump pre-filter.
Guys thanks for this thread and the useful information! I am looking forward to this installation and keeping this thread alive.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hopefully I can shed some info I have learned. First off new member here!, so bear with me... Been creeping Jugernaut and Mercs posts for a bit now. I have parts sittin on my toolbox to do a fuel system to my 6.0 since my fuel pump just **** the bed.

The return on the 6.7 should be plumbed, there is a thermal recirculation valve that routes warm fuel back into supply to high pressure pump on the 6.7. If its just capped off yes the pump can "cavitate". How others have ran the pump with return bypassed is a mystery to me.

A new fuel pump does come with a filter inside of it.

Merc, why not just run quick connect fittings on the 6.7 pump? I found Dorman #800-111 (napa 7306720) is supply 1/2". Dorman #800-173 (napa 7305734) 12mm. That is the route I will be using, doing this will also allow someone to run the 6.7 secondary filter and buy just the 6.7 filter kit, which I am not doing. I will be running a w/s before the pump that will include a drain and WIF sensor and 3 micron similar to the cat post pump.

Now, with the dummy filters. A person can make a dummy filter for the 6.7 pump. Not as easily as the 6.4/6.0, where you shim the end of the cap with some pvc from what I have read. With my 6.7 pump apart there is a valve in the inlet hole that is opened when filter is installed. I stripped the filter media off the filter and its just plastic and flimsy, I don't recommend making a dummy out of this. Much rather a guy fab something up using aluminum or stronger design, use your imagination.

Here is the valve.

Here is the thermal recirc valve which doubles as relief valve say pump hits it's max rating of 120psi.

Heres the route I went being I'm running a remote w/s before the pump for ease of filter changes.

I just removed it! Found a "cap" at local hardware store, actually brought pump with me and grabbed a bunch of different options but thats what I ended up using. Used JB kwik weld as its resistant to shop supplies, fuel, oil etc. Used a 1/4" die grinder to clean hole out, and had to take some material off the cap so it didnt obstruct the inlet hole. Than applied JB around the hole and around the cap. Inserted and ran some more JB around cap. Let dry. Sanded cured JB and apply another big layer of JB around the hole thing. This port is not pressurized so it should be fine. I am doing this so I dont have to run a 6.7 filter. I will also be installing a shut off valve between Beans sump and first filter header.

I will be creating a thread for my install, just waiting on a few more things to arrive and time to do it. My setup will include sump -(possible 6.4 pump as volume lift pump) - remote header with w/s -6.7 pump - remote header with 3 micron - custom reg return feeding back of heads - aeromotive regulator out front - return back to tank routed through pump to a bulkhead

Big thanks to Merc and Juger for inspiring this to me.
I know this is an old post, but your 12mm "napa" part number is coming up as a mirror! LOL

Is there a chance someone can help out with the napa part number for this fitting? My searches pull up the 1/2" fitting and some 5/8" fittings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Return side 12mm fittings

NAPA # 7305734 or DORMAN 800-173

If you need any more information I have compiled a huge database of information that cross reference several guy’s setups. I’m about to finally get this all plumbed in while I’m replacing my heads and doing a few other things.

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
I had the mirror come up a few times with the number , keep trying , it's in the system . Maybe go rite to NAPA and get
them on it .

·
Registered
136 Posts
Return side 12mm fittings

NAPA # 7305734 or DORMAN 800-173

If you need any more information I have compiled a huge database of information that cross reference several guy’s setups. I’m about to finally get this all plumbed in while I’m replacing my heads and doing a few other things.
Would you mind sharing your info?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been building 05 Xcursion one system at a time till I ran into the POS HPOP that is not a 05 HPOP, thanks Ford. So a 2 Day job Became a full cab off, everything off, do it all now Frame up project. 3 month later I’m about to start reassembling but I need help with the 6.7L FP upgrade. I see Merc and Smackdaddy have 2 different opinions on the Quick Connects and I am looking for the best trouble free option. I am running -6AN & -8AN fittings with SS Hose and a custom built RR with Fuel bowl delete & a 6.4l Filter housing.
I would prefer AN but not leaking is #1

Merc, what sizes on your AN fittings did you end up going with? Do you have the part# for them if they are different from the one’s in the beginning of this thread? Thanks

Smackdaddy, thanks for those part numbers I have been googling QC for a week now with no success.

Are the secondary OEM FF the same size QCs as the FP?

Lastly I would like to thank everyone on here for filling my head with all these crazy ideas for my Xcursion. I have spent countless nights on here learning from everyone the best ways to improve my 6.0 and my wallet is proof of it. Thanks again I hope I too one day will return the jester.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey fellas. Newbie here! just read your entire thread. Just finished pump install on a 05 ex. Went through a lot of trial and error with this set up. Did a kc stage 2 and 190 30s at the same time. Be happy to help if anyone has any questions.

161 - 180 of 215 Posts