Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Get ur cts first check the heath of ur oil cooler, then do the egr delete or bpd egr cooler. Put the money in a saving account for the head stud. What year is the truck
I'll get the CTS, hopefully that'll be ordered this week. How to I check the health of my oil cooler? The truck is an '06.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well guys, I'm spinning my wheels here as to what I should be doing to the truck. Probably just a classic case of over thinking things but I want as many opinions as possible. My goal with any modification I do to the truck is just to reduce the chance of a brake down / preserve the truck for as long as possible, I want to be able to drive from the Northern tip of Canada down to South America and back without worrying about a break down.

The only consistent answer I've gotten is gauges to monitor EGTs, trans temp, and coolant temp. I'm still trying to figure out a way I'd like to do that as I'm not a big fan of gauges and I'd rather have it on a screen like my GPS. Anyone know of anything like that?

I seem to be getting about a 50/50 split on doing ARP head studs and an EGR delete, anyone want to put forth their opinions on them and why you have that opinion?

Right now I have $4k to comfortably put into the truck, I could push it up to $5k if it'd be worth it. What should I do with this money? This is in a completely different "fund" than the rainy day fund for repairs and brake downs. This truck is completely 100% stock, just did an oil change and trans fluid change, working on diff fluid change.
As far as guages are concerned, the best thing I did was to spend $5 on Google play for the Torque Pro app and $8 on ebay for a generic obd-II Bluetooth ELM-127 adaptor. Then I installed the Torque app onto my Galaxy tablet, synced the adapter to my tablet, and created guages for the things I wanted to monitor....boost pressure, rpm's, coolant temp, engine oil temp, tranny temp, battery voltage, mpg's, FICM voltage, tranny gear, GPS speed and a few others that have slipped my mind. As for whether you want to use tunes, get yourself a dedicated tuner like BullyDog or Banks. You certainly can buy tuners that also have guage monitoring, but you're gonna spend a crap-load more that way, and they don't offer the monitoring capabilities that Torque does. The only thing I still can't monitor, that I plan to, is the exhaust gas temp. For that I'm gonna have to get a separate, dedicated kit just for it. Other than that, I've done the high-idle mod which works great in the winter to warm the truck up quicker! Once I get my cold air intake, I'm gonna seriously consider doing the zoo-dad mod as well. Just my $.02 worth!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Smart phone can't to egts's or fuel without a lot of time a patience programming the sensors in.

There are 1000's of 6 leaker on the road not bullet proofed with a few hundred thousand miles on them. Rattlesnake's is one of them.

Sure, get rid of the EGR, but why do the cooler if the deltas are fine. Maybe it was already replaced.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Agreed! Mine just turned 229,000 miles yesterday and it's not been bulletproofed. It does have the egr delete done to it as well as having replaced the FICM with a Sinister 58v FICM. Also agree with the comment about the cooler. If you're deltas are good then it's almost a waste of money at this point.

Just my $.02 worth!

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
I'll get the CTS, hopefully that'll be ordered this week. How to I check the health of my oil cooler? The truck is an '06.
Once you get the CTS/CTS2, follow the directions inside the packaging and do the updates. Then, plug it into your OBDII port and setup the PID's (Parameter Identifier) you want to monitor on your screen. The ones I monitor daily on my 1st screen are (others might have different ones, but these are the ones I chose):

VGT duty cycle
ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature)
EOT (Engine Oil Temperature)
Transmission temperature
EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperatures) - you will need to get an EGT probe for this
Fuel Pressure - You will need to get an additional sensor for this
ICP voltage
FICM voltage
Battery Voltage

I have a 2nd screen setup with these PID's and others on it for when I want to check the truck if it's acting funky or I suspect something is going on that shouldn't be.

As for checking the health of your oil cooler, take the truck out and drive it to get it to operating temperature (190*F on oil/coolant temps). Find a straight, flat road and set the cruise on 65MPH (assuming you have 3.73 gears) for 10-15 miles, checking your ECT/EOT temps while driving. Your EOT will always be a bit hotter than your ECT. The delta between the two should not exceed 15* - if it does, this indicates that coolant passages in your oil cooler are clogged with debris and the oil cooler is not doing it's job.

Hope this helps some.

-jokester

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
As far as guages are concerned, the best thing I did was to spend $5 on Google play for the Torque Pro app and $8 on ebay for a generic obd-II Bluetooth ELM-127 adaptor. Then I installed the Torque app onto my Galaxy tablet, synced the adapter to my tablet, and created guages for the things I wanted to monitor....boost pressure, rpm's, coolant temp, engine oil temp, tranny temp, battery voltage, mpg's, FICM voltage, tranny gear, GPS speed and a few others that have slipped my mind. As for whether you want to use tunes, get yourself a dedicated tuner like BullyDog or Banks. You certainly can buy tuners that also have guage monitoring, but you're gonna spend a crap-load more that way, and they don't offer the monitoring capabilities that Torque does. The only thing I still can't monitor, that I plan to, is the exhaust gas temp. For that I'm gonna have to get a separate, dedicated kit just for it. Other than that, I've done the high-idle mod which works great in the winter to warm the truck up quicker! Once I get my cold air intake, I'm gonna seriously consider doing the zoo-dad mod as well. Just my $.02 worth!!
Don't put bank or bully dog on ur 6.0, get sct with some custom tunes or the new cts from php

·
Mitch
999 Posts
Once you get the CTS/CTS2, follow the directions inside the packaging and do the updates. Then, plug it into your OBDII port and setup the PID's (Parameter Identifier) you want to monitor on your screen. The ones I monitor daily on my 1st screen are (others might have different ones, but these are the ones I chose):

VGT duty cycle
ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature)
EOT (Engine Oil Temperature)
Transmission temperature
EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperatures) - you will need to get an EGT probe for this
Fuel Pressure - You will need to get an additional sensor for this
ICP voltage
FICM voltage
Battery Voltage

I have a 2nd screen setup with these PID's and others on it for when I want to check the truck if it's acting funky or I suspect something is going on that shouldn't be.

As for checking the health of your oil cooler, take the truck out and drive it to get it to operating temperature (190*F on oil/coolant temps). Find a straight, flat road and set the cruise on 65MPH (assuming you have 3.73 gears) for 10-15 miles, checking your ECT/EOT temps while driving. Your EOT will always be a bit hotter than your ECT. The delta between the two should not exceed 15* - if it does, this indicates that coolant passages in your oil cooler are clogged with debris and the oil cooler is not doing it's job.

Hope this helps some.

-jokester
To add to this, make sure you do some reading in the sticky section: http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/861145-6-0-general-discussion-stickys.html

Also, if you are interested in reading about montoring once you get the CTS, check out this thread: http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/259257-write-up-monitoring-6-0l-psd.html

yhou can get a much bigger screen tablet and dedicate that to the truck. along with a charge cable easy peasy :thumb:
the only reason i did not recommend it right away is the difficulty adding egt and fuel pressure probes but as I dont have one perhaps I should keep that idea to my self and let someone else who has done it speak on the subject... :bump:
one of our regulars has a very ice set up but i forget who :doh:
I believe that is @G8orFord

OP, To piggy back everything and summarize.

Get the CTS 2 and add-ons to monitor and make sure the truck is healthy.

If you want to and have the funds to, go ahead and do the studs and BPD stuff. It won't hurt anything but your pocket book. Some people feel the don't fix it if it ain't broke but ultimately, it is your truck and you do what you want to it. If you do decide to do the studs, just make sure you do all of the relevant updates and make sure the heads get checked over and cleaned up by a machine shop.

Do the blue spring upgrade as another stated. Bad fuel pressure can hurt injectors and the blue spring (a Ford part) will improve fuel pressure.

Change as many fluids as you feel comfortable changing. Power steering, transfer case, rear end and front end, coolant. There is a PDF that was created years ago that shows how to change the coolant. It is a good read and has good DIY directions. I personally changed my coolant by draining and doing a cascade dish detergent flush, oil cooler back flush, and a bunch of distilled water flushes, then adding Zerex ELC (ZXED1).

Make sure your batteries and alternator are healthy, bad ones can hurt your FICM and injectors. You can get alternator upgrades that increase the output amperage. I did this as I plow in the winter and went with a DC 190 I believe. There are other brands out there too.

Read read read. Educate yourself on the truck and you will become more comfortable to do fixes yourself as you become educated on the subject. I read about the 6.0's for 2 years prior to purchasing my current truck.

·
Premium Member
11,603 Posts
Yep, that's me, but unfortunately PLX discontinued the hardware necessary to get the EGT and FP through Torque. You needed the old style PLX Kiwi2 and the iMFD adapter to read the module information into Torque. They no longer offer the old style Kiwi2 or the iMFD adapter. They do still sell the modules and sensors and have released the Multigauge Link that will eventually work with there own app that's supposed to be released sometime next summer.

·
california deplorable
10,397 Posts
I am trying to remember if bully dog and sct joined forces...seems i remember that from somewhere...
BUT...
even if so I am uncertain the bully dog is able to program the trans to work WITH the tune which is the downfall of all other tuning systems and WHY we all go with the sct...

no need tearing up a perfectly good trans with shift points that are off for the new power bands and power parameters...
just sayin

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
You may not be a fan, but the performance tune from my BullyDog works great with my 6.0!!! Just saying!
See how bullydog works on upgrade injectors or turbo. I'll put php, tsd and wpe custon sct tunes up against the bullydog any day of the week. I will say the bully dog is better then banks.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I am trying to remember if bully dog and sct joined forces...seems i remember that from somewhere...
BUT...
even if so I am uncertain the bully dog is able to program the trans to work WITH the tune which is the downfall of all other tuning systems and WHY we all go with the sct...

no need tearing up a perfectly good trans with shift points that are off for the new power bands and power parameters...
just sayin
Think there are some places doing custom tunes for the bully dog gt

·
california deplorable
10,397 Posts
I am thinking this is where i mentioned the ice crystals that grow out of the ground here
pics do no justice and they are melting and falling over,9yea I should have dug out the camera and gone yesterday but...
anyway I have seen them in other parts of the sierras and cascades but in spring garden the ground water in proximity to the surface seems to make them blossom

·
Registered
87 Posts
BUT...

just sayin
You may not be a fan, but the performance tune from my BullyDog works great with my 6.0!!! Just saying!
See how bullydog works on upgrade injectors or turbo. I'll put php, tsd and wpe custon sct tunes up against the bullydog any day of the week. I will say the bully dog is better then banks.
I'd never heard or read anything about possible tranny issues. I'll have to look more into that! As for upgraded injectors and turbos...having stock injectors and a stock turbo, for my use, I've no need to go any further into tuning with custom tunes. Should that change, I'll reevaluate my stance at that point. For now, it works great.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
So, as far as bang for the buck goes, what should I be doing? I know I need the CTS 2 (still don't know if the insight will let me get an economy tune or if I need a different model?), and change out the coolant. Engine oil, trans fluid, diff fluid, and brake fluid are all done, next step is power steering fluid.

Of my current list that has changed many times, what shouldn't I do yet? For example it sounds like people are telling me don't stud it because if / when the head gaskets go, it's the same process to change head gaskets as putting new studs in, so just wait to see if they fail. With this train of thought, what should I keep stock and what should I upgrade / delete? I assume still delete the EGR as from what I understand the EGR cooler can clog and then over heat the engine / blow head gaskets. What about the oil cooler, water pump, changing FICM, etc?

As far as testing the batteries and alternators, I don't have fancy tools (I know parts stores near me will do it for free), but will the Edge CTS 2 check these for me? Also for everything you guys recommend me monitor, what range should these things be at? Is there a write up on that?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
So, as far as bang for the buck goes, what should I be doing? I know I need the CTS 2 (still don't know if the insight will let me get an economy tune or if I need a different model?), and change out the coolant. Engine oil, trans fluid, diff fluid, and brake fluid are all done, next step is power steering fluid.

Of my current list that has changed many times, what shouldn't I do yet? For example it sounds like people are telling me don't stud it because if / when the head gaskets go, it's the same process to change head gaskets as putting new studs in, so just wait to see if they fail. With this train of thought, what should I keep stock and what should I upgrade / delete? I assume still delete the EGR as from what I understand the EGR cooler can clog and then over heat the engine / blow head gaskets. What about the oil cooler, water pump, changing FICM, etc?

As far as testing the batteries and alternators, I don't have fancy tools (I know parts stores near me will do it for free), but will the Edge CTS 2 check these for me? Also for everything you guys recommend me monitor, what range should these things be at? Is there a write up on that?
You could look at the sct x4 to

SCT X4 + Custom Tunes - Power Hungry Performance

·
The Maddawg
5,734 Posts
I just got tunes from Quick Tricks on my Bully Dog. It's the same as SCT now. Keep the BD and get customs on it!

Quick Tricks
Gear head
MPD all do it

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I just got tunes from Quick Tricks on my Bully Dog. It's the same as SCT now. Keep the BD and get customs on it!

Quick Tricks
Gear head
MPD all do it

Good to no, is that only on the bully dog gt, do you like the custom tunes better then bully dogs can tunes

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
We ought to create a sticky with this info.

·
The Maddawg
5,734 Posts
Good to no, is that only on the bully dog gt, do you like the custom tunes better then bully dogs can tunes
I would never run canned BD tunes. They don't tune the TCM.

I LOVE the Eco/City tune I got. 28gal tank and I get 425ish miles to the tank where I was getting 330 untuned.

41 - 60 of 102 Posts