Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 102 Posts

·
Vendor
12,759 Posts
Smart phone can't to egts's or fuel without a lot of time a patience programming the sensors in.

There are 1000's of 6 leaker on the road not bullet proofed with a few hundred thousand miles on them. Rattlesnake's is one of them.

Sure, get rid of the EGR, but why do the cooler if the deltas are fine. Maybe it was already replaced.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Smart phone can't to egts's or fuel without a lot of time a patience programming the sensors in.

There are 1000's of 6 leaker on the road not bullet proofed with a few hundred thousand miles on them. Rattlesnake's is one of them.

Sure, get rid of the EGR, but why do the cooler if the deltas are fine. Maybe it was already replaced.

I've got 15 to 20 buddy that have 6.0 all of them have over 125000mile, there's only 2 of us that are studded.

·
AMERICA!
22,939 Posts
I've got just under 175k on my truck with stock HGs and TTYs.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I don't understand how you guys aren't screaming STUDS/HEADGASKETS/UPGRADED OR DELETED EGR and OIL COOLER and the right coolant??? This guy wants his truck to be as reliable as possible, the are the KNOWN weak components of the 6.0..

IMO, purchasing a $$$ monitor that can't really do anything that a smart phone and bluetooth OBDII connector can is not really the right thing to suggest. A CTS Edge can tune and data log right? This in no way makes a 6.0 reliable. I can understand wanting to monitor certain things, but a $15 OBDII connector and a smartphone with the Torque APP can do everything but tune. If he isn't into the ability to switch between multiple tunes quickly, a high dollar monitor is poorly spent money.

A new oil cooler, EGR delete and if the coolant pressures are elevated even a little, studs and head gaskets because it will need them eventually anyway. Maybe go ahead and replace the alternator (that was the 1st thing to die on my 6.0) and carry a few key sensors in the toolbox with you. Other than that, you can address the turbo cleaning if it needs it and maybe send the ECU and FICM to Power Hungry Performance and have them bench tune it. You can pick up some MPG's and improve the general drivability of the truck with $300 in tuning with them.

Forget the CTS EDGE and buy a couple of Glocks if a trip to South America is really in order, they will serve a much better purpose.
I decided against the torque pro app just because it drains my phone battery fast, and I want something dedicated to the truck.

Any idea how much a new oil cooler and EGR delete will run me installed?

I also have dual alternators, should I replace both of them while I'm at it and just keep the old ones as spares in the toolbox?

Someone linked me to a FICM tuner from power hunger performance, if I get this would it monitor my EGTs, coolant temp, trans temp, etc?

·
Vendor
12,759 Posts
Instead you could do the Insight CTS2 PRO from PHP then also add the EAS Comp kit. It comes with tunes also. I do carry these now. I forgot off hand the price.

·
california deplorable
10,228 Posts
I have the original CTS like yours. Do a software update on it and you can get the screen that displays 10 pids at once and the truck leveling pitch and roll indicators. I think you'll like it. Ever since I updated it, that's the only screen I use anymore. Last time I updated it was a few weeks ago and it asked me if I wanted to upgrade it with tuning capabilities. I declined since I figured if I had it, I might be tempted to use it!
thank you!!!! I wrote edge and asked that very question and never head back so i left it in the truck :dunno:

Wow... how in the hell did I screw up that tag?:doh:
you have read MY typing and still have to ask? :rofl: :hehe: :rofl:

I decided against the torque pro app just because it drains my phone battery fast, and I want something dedicated to the truck.

Any idea how much a new oil cooler and EGR delete will run me installed?

I also have dual alternators, should I replace both of them while I'm at it and just keep the old ones as spares in the toolbox?

Someone linked me to a FICM tuner from power hunger performance, if I get this would it monitor my EGTs, coolant temp, trans temp, etc?
yhou can get a much bigger screen tablet and dedicate that to the truck. along with a charge cable easy peasy :thumb:
the only reason i did not recommend it right away is the difficulty adding egt and fuel pressure probes but as I dont have one perhaps I should keep that idea to my self and let someone else who has done it speak on the subject... :bump:
one of our regulars has a very ice set up but i forget who :doh:

I really have no knowledge of dual alts other than there are guide to replace them with a single set up...which didnt speak highly to me about running a dual but again I should let someone with direct experience speak as to the virtues of both systems :dunno:

Instead you could do the Insight CTS2 PRO from PHP then also add the EAS Comp kit. It comes with tunes also. I do carry these now. I forgot off hand the price.

this may be the way of the future. It changes the way tunes are written and for that reason I am interested in the final outcome.

seems someone asked about the ficm tuner and yes it can monitor some but last i looked they were the pre cts edge and only did four pids...the more the merrier :thumb:
I have heard great things about ficm tuners and will get one when my budget allows but for now I am just day to day and hoping to make it out alive and into the trump era and see if we can't get a little recovery in our "recovery" :look:>:):woot:

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

Thank you, I'm not too interested in tuning the truck, just being able to monitor the vitals.

·
6.2 Convert
1,385 Posts
thank you!!!! I wrote edge and asked that very question and never head back so i left it in the truck :dunno:
I just figured you don't update very often since your internet consists of two tin cans and a piece of string! :stupidcomputer:

·
california deplorable
10,228 Posts
I just figured you don't update very often since your internet consists of two tin cans and a piece of string! :stupidcomputer:
:hehe: :rofl: :hehe: :rofl: :hehe: :rofl: :hehe: :rofl: :hehe: :rofl: :hehe: :rofl: :hehe: :rofl: :hehe: :rofl: :hehe:
I havent updated mine since i wait...I NEVER updated mine for that very reason :look: :doh:

The CTS2 can display 16 PID's at a time too.

When the FICM tuner was mentioned, that's why I mentioned the CTS2 PRO with PHP tunes.

need me a ficm tuner one of these days :nod:

·
california deplorable
10,228 Posts
ok walking the dogs up the back road to a waterfall my wife discovered and wants to show me
back later

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
If ur going to buy a cts try and get one from [email protected] he's a site sponsor and you will get a real warranty.
Definitely planning on buying a CTS 2 and I like supporting member of any community I'm in! Once my tires sell I'll pick one up from him.

·
california deplorable
10,228 Posts
so that was why she wanted to bring that shovel along...I thought it was for obama ready jobs :look:
good thing for me the ground is so damn frozen :nod:
I need to drag my camera out there.
I dont know how =many are familiar with ice crystals that grow out of the ground...
35 years in the mountains and i have never seen them the way they grow here...
anyways there are patches of them up to 4 and 5 inches long crystals sticking up out of the ground :thumb:
it really is pretty cool to see :nod:

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
so that was why she wanted to bring that shovel along...I thought it was for obama ready jobs :look:
good thing for me the ground is so damn frozen :nod:
I need to drag my camera out there.
I dont know how =many are familiar with ice crystals that grow out of the ground...
35 years in the mountains and i have never seen them the way they grow here...
anyways there are patches of them up to 4 and 5 inches long crystals sticking up out of the ground :thumb:
it really is pretty cool to see :nod:
So you tell us this cool phenomena happened and didn't post a picture? :worthless[1]:

·
california deplorable
10,228 Posts
I will try to get some pics tomorrow

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Quick question regarding the Edge CTS 2. Will the insight allow me to do tunes like the economy tune, or do I have to move up to a different one? I wouldn't want crazy tunes, just an economy tune.

Also I was talking with a friend about what I want to do with the truck and wanted your opinions on his opinions. His advice was don't do anything until stuff breaks. Ideally I don't want to put my truck in the shop and have down time, but on the other end of the spectrum, I can afford to have down time especially if it means that that I might save money if I get a new truck / die before X part goes bad. My only issue with that is that from my understanding, EGR coolers go bad because they get blocked, then they take head gaskets with them. At the point the head gaskets go and heads have to come off, I may as well do head studs then because if stock TTY studs have lasted this long, maybe they're alright for my application? With this minimalist train of thought, what should I do? Should I do an EGR delete since that is on the list, but skip the head studs until the head gaskets blow? What about the oil cooler?

21 - 40 of 102 Posts