Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, I'm spinning my wheels here as to what I should be doing to the truck. Probably just a classic case of over thinking things but I want as many opinions as possible. My goal with any modification I do to the truck is just to reduce the chance of a brake down / preserve the truck for as long as possible, I want to be able to drive from the Northern tip of Canada down to South America and back without worrying about a break down.

The only consistent answer I've gotten is gauges to monitor EGTs, trans temp, and coolant temp. I'm still trying to figure out a way I'd like to do that as I'm not a big fan of gauges and I'd rather have it on a screen like my GPS. Anyone know of anything like that?

I seem to be getting about a 50/50 split on doing ARP head studs and an EGR delete, anyone want to put forth their opinions on them and why you have that opinion?

Right now I have $4k to comfortably put into the truck, I could push it up to $5k if it'd be worth it. What should I do with this money? This is in a completely different "fund" than the rainy day fund for repairs and brake downs. This truck is completely 100% stock, just did an oil change and trans fluid change, working on diff fluid change.

·
AMERICA!
22,939 Posts
Get an Edge CTS2 and you can have info on a screen. You can get some EAS add ons to monitor the stuff you want and even add cameras. If I was wanting to make a trip like you said then I would want to be able monitor as much as I could, which the CTS can do with the right add ons. The CTS will also allow you to pull codes for trouble shooting. PHP has a CTS2 unit now that will do all of that and tune your truck, you should look it up and see if it suits your needs. @[email protected] can get you hooked with a CTS2 or @cthursto09if you want the PHP option.

IMO... if you have the money to do head gaskets, studs and other items known to be issues then I would to be safe and have a better peace of mind, otherwise, deal with the issues as they arise.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Buy an edge CTS2 and drive the hell out of it. Read up on what to monitor and then decide what to do. I would also add a coolant pressure gauge in the cab so that you can monitor the coolant pressures also.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I'll look into the Edge CTS.

What is EAS and PHP? You say I can add cameras, so I can put a backup cam on and wire it to the Edge CTS2?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
For where you want to go, I would forgo the normal bulletproofing and invest in a good toolbox,spare parts and a 51 gallon or larger tank. I think a breakdown kit will be key. Also some antitheft device like a ravelco kill switch. What i mentioned above will be $5k.

I would not fix it if its not broke.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I spent alot bulletproofing and as soon as i got it out of the shop, the starter went, then the alternator. Bulletproofing is never-endingand a bbottomless pit if not done right.

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
#1 is get a monitor for sure! I personally like the Edge Insight CTS2 myself, but there are other less expensive options out there. The one good thing about the CTS or CTS2 is that you can add on accessories (fuel pressure gauge, degas pressure gauge, EGT probe, etc.) with their EAS system. Not to mention, it sits on a bracket that suctions to the windshield and runs down to the OBDII connector just like you're looking for. Then, you can monitor most all critical PID's on the truck either from the PCM or through your EAS inputs.

Again, this is just my opinion.

-jokester

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So for the Edge CTS / CTS 2, what is the difference between 1 and 2? Also would you be concerned about buying one used? I can get a new CTS 2 for $429.99 online, or a used CTS for $200 (Craigslist).

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For where you want to go, I would forgo the normal bulletproofing and invest in a good toolbox,spare parts and a 51 gallon or larger tank. I think a breakdown kit will be key. Also some antitheft device like a ravelco kill switch. What i mentioned above will be $5k.

I would not fix it if its not broke.
What would be considered "normal bulletproofing"? Would that be BPD FICM, oil cooler, and billet water pump? Does that include EGR delete and head stud kit?

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
The most important thing for me was monitoring. Immediately after that was a coolant filter. I drove for a while with the original coolant (ford gold) cleaning as I drove 1000 miles or so. I wanted to clean the cooling system as much as possible. Next was the egr delete,SCT live wire and coolant change.
As far as I have read and talked to owners ,it's all about the coolant!!!!

·
california deplorable
10,493 Posts
So for the Edge CTS / CTS 2, what is the difference between 1 and 2? Also would you be concerned about buying one used? I can get a new CTS 2 for $429.99 online, or a used CTS for $200 (Craigslist).
I have the old cts (was new when I got it :look:) and I love it "thumb:
I think the cts2 just monitors more and more is better in this case but up to you.
cts2 does up to ten pids I believe and leveling
and yes you can add a camera to it an egt probe and fuel pressure and you should be in business.
I am still putting a backup camera on mine and a second on the back of my 28 foot travel trailer the truck to the stereo and the trailer to the cts just so I dont have to get out and run back trying to fit my trailer into tight spots
coolant filter is also a good idea and I am a fan of elc rated coolant :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
I think the cts2 just monitors more and more is better in this case but up to you.
You can do up to 12 with the CTS2 - neener neener neener :haha: :wink:

-jokester

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would also change the fuel filters if you haven't done that already. Also look into the blue spring mod, which increases your fuel pressure to keep it in a safe range. It is fairly cheap ($30-40) and good insurance to keep your injectors happy. I think we should make a sticky thread with a list of must do mods to first time 6.0 buyers. It would give people a good idea of what they are going to have to spend after the initial purchase price.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
What would be considered "normal bulletproofing"? Would that be BPD FICM, oil cooler, and billet water pump? Does that include EGR delete and head stud kit?
No such thing as "normal bullet proofing" really. If you call Bullet Proof Diesel up, they have a premier package, a Level III, bulletproofing for around $9k, depending on what you want. Another guy locally will Bullet proof your truck for $1k by swapping the studs 1 by one. That's from one extreme to the other.

If your budget is $5k to be ready to make the drive and you want to leave soon, then a complete fluid change, with the coolant waiting until after the monitor gets there to be sure the oil cooler is good. For coolant, I would keep the gold. If your truck has gold, I would replace it with gold. If the oil cooler is good, then gold has done it good for a decade so a few more months won't hurt it.

If I were making your run across the continent,I'd use a Toyota Hi Lux:

There's also a part 2 to this video where they drop it off a twenty story building and it still starts. With a 6.0 diesel, I'd be worried about breakdowns in remote locations where parts are not available. Don't know about Central America, but a HiLux you can get parts for it all over Asia. The only reason I turn wrenches right now is I brought my American Ford car to South Korea and when the breaks were squeaking, the South Korean garage said bring the parts and I'll fix it. I'd hate to hear those words in Guatemala. That's kind of what I'm getting at with having a good travel kit. No matter what you bullet proof something can easily go wrong that is not at all related to the Bulletproofing you had done. Also, a lot of pickups in AZ are stolen to make drug runs south of the border. Once south of the border, I can only guess that they are an even easier target.

If you're not planning on going through Central America anytime soon, I'd watch the ECT EOT difference do a:

1) Break Fluid, Differential Fluid, Transfer Case, Transmission Fluid, Oil Change with Rev-X $300.
2) Edge CTS monitor with Fuel Pressure, EGT, and Low Pressure oil probes $1000
3) Coolant swap to CAT 1 ELC with IPR coolant filter bypass
4) BPD EGR and remote oil cooler by myself $2000
I would then hook the Coolant Filter in line with the oil cooler
Clean Turbo and veins.
Change Turbo oil lines if needed.
5) If not a 2003 or early 04, Stand Pipes, Dummy Plugs, STC fitting $500
6) A 6.0 toolkit with a starter, alternator, and toolbox with 6.0 unique tools $1k
7) Ravelco Kill Switch $500

That would take you close to what your budget is. Some of those prices are high. Others are low. My big thing is up to #2 is right away and the others would be a few months down the road when you're ready for the next oil change. By that time you'll know if Head Gaskets are bad and what you really want to do with the truck.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't plan on actually doing that trip, just used it so you guys could get an idea of how reliable I want my truck to be.

I do plan on getting the Edge CTS / 2, how many monitors wold you guys recommend I get / what should I be monitoring? How do I swap coolant? How hard is it to put an EGT probe in and have it monitored by the CTS? Is there a write up on that? Is this level 3 bullet proofing $9k for just parts, or is that installed? If that's installed I might wait a couple months to do that and just do the maintenance stuff like the monitors and swapping coolant.

·
Vendor
12,833 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll look into the Edge CTS.

What is EAS and PHP? You say I can add cameras, so I can put a backup cam on and wire it to the Edge CTS2?
EAS=Edge Accessory System.

The EAS Comp kit comes with EGT probe, a 0-100 pressure sensor, a -40*-300*F temp sensor, and the expandable harness.

I do have them on sale too.

$386.95. CTS2
$321.26. Comp kit

PHP= Power Hungry Performance

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
6.2 Convert
1,385 Posts
I have the original CTS like yours. Do a software update on it and you can get the screen that displays 10 pids at once and the truck leveling pitch and roll indicators. I think you'll like it. Ever since I updated it, that's the only screen I use anymore. Last time I updated it was a few weeks ago and it asked me if I wanted to upgrade it with tuning capabilities. I declined since I figured if I had it, I might be tempted to use it!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Get an Edge CTS2 and you can have info on a screen. You can get some EAS add ons to monitor the stuff you want and even add cameras. If I was wanting to make a trip like you said then I would want to be able monitor as much as I could, which the CTS can do with the right add ons. The CTS will also allow you to pull codes for trouble shooting. PHP has a CTS2 unit now that will do all of that and tune your truck, you should look it up and see if it suits your needs. @[email protected] can get you hooked with a CTS2 or @cthursto09if you want the PHP option.

IMO... if you have the money to do head gaskets, studs and other items known to be issues then I would to be safe and have a better peace of mind, otherwise, deal with the issues as they arise.
I can't help with the PHP version. @Chatham036 can though

·
AMERICA!
22,939 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't understand how you guys aren't screaming STUDS/HEADGASKETS/UPGRADED OR DELETED EGR and OIL COOLER and the right coolant??? This guy wants his truck to be as reliable as possible, the are the KNOWN weak components of the 6.0..

IMO, purchasing a $$$ monitor that can't really do anything that a smart phone and bluetooth OBDII connector can is not really the right thing to suggest. A CTS Edge can tune and data log right? This in no way makes a 6.0 reliable. I can understand wanting to monitor certain things, but a $15 OBDII connector and a smartphone with the Torque APP can do everything but tune. If he isn't into the ability to switch between multiple tunes quickly, a high dollar monitor is poorly spent money.

A new oil cooler, EGR delete and if the coolant pressures are elevated even a little, studs and head gaskets because it will need them eventually anyway. Maybe go ahead and replace the alternator (that was the 1st thing to die on my 6.0) and carry a few key sensors in the toolbox with you. Other than that, you can address the turbo cleaning if it needs it and maybe send the ECU and FICM to Power Hungry Performance and have them bench tune it. You can pick up some MPG's and improve the general drivability of the truck with $300 in tuning with them.

Forget the CTS EDGE and buy a couple of Glocks if a trip to South America is really in order, they will serve a much better purpose.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts