Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Realized this week that my original muffler is rusting out and falling apart fast. I thought about replacing it with a delete pipe kit but don't know how much louder that would make it. Can you really trust watching videos on YouTube vs. hearing one live?

I know there are plenty 4" straight pipes running, but would a 3" straight pipe system be louder than a 4" due to the higher back pressure, etc? I'd like to open it up (no muffler), and not ready to go with a full turbo-back 4" as I'm not sure how much longer I'll have the truck.

Thanks
Bryan

·
Registered
615 Posts
It will be significantly louder, but nothing insane. If your exhaust is rusty I would recommend getting a full system. I got a diamond eye 4” no muffler for less than $250. You can get them with mufflers that will be close to stock sound, only slightly louder for just a little bit more money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I've straight piped stock exhaust and like it. 3.5" pipe, a bit of time with a sawzall, grinder, and mig welder and you're set!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm getting ready to order the delete pipe, but on an '02 F250 CCSB what do you do about the welded hanger rod that's just in front of the muffler?
If I cut just behind the hanger the delete pipe won't go over it. Or do I make sure to get a delete pipe that's swaged down to go inside of the cut end?
I don't have a welder so it'll be clamped on.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm getting ready to order the delete pipe, but on an '02 F250 CCSB what do you do about the welded hanger rod that's just in front of the muffler?
If I cut just behind the hanger the delete pipe won't go over it. Or do I make sure to get a delete pipe that's swaged down to go inside of the cut end?
I don't have a welder so it'll be clamped on.
When I first got my truck I took it to a local muffler shop and they did the delete and put a new hanger on for 65 bucks.
Money well spent

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only exhaust shop in town that says they can straight pipe it was going to replace the muffler with 3" tube. Supposedly, no one here can bend 3.5"...

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have a long box and didnt need any bends

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I called several shops within 30 miles this week, and no one can bend 3.5" pipe. A few suggested I buy a pre-bent delete pipe and they could weld it in for $100 to $150, but with a new 4" kit at only $250 to $300 that just doesn't seem to make sense. One shop would install a 4" no-muffler system for $300, but it's only from the down-pipe back.

Back to my question, if I got a delete pipe and put it in myself, how do I handle the hanger just ahead of the muffler: cut before and use a new hanger, or will a flared-down pipe go into it and I would just clamp it? How have you guys done on yours?

Thanks

·
Registered
524 Posts
Just buy the full 3.4 or 4 inch diamond eye turbo back kit. Fairly cheap on amazon, usually has prime.
Easy to install. The rest of your system looks rusty and in need of replacement anyways.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 7.3_TurboDiesel

·
Registered
615 Posts
I got a 4” diamond eye exhaust for around $250 downpipe and everything. Any muffler shop should easily be able to install that for you

·
Registered
839 Posts
IF YOU ARE GOING TO GET RID OF THE TRUCK SOON.....AND YOU DON'T WANT TO SPEND VERY MUCH MONEY ON THE EXHAUST.....JUST LEAVE IT ALONE.....AND TAKE A COUPLE OF BUCKS OFF OF THE PRICE WHEN YOU SELL THE TRUCK.....

THE NEW OWNER IS PROBABLY GOING TO REPLACE THE WHOLE EXHAUST ANYWAY.....

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, unfortunately the underside is very rusty from where I blew the main brake line when driving salt-covered winter roads several years ago and it was parked for a few months before I got it fixed. If I keep it, I'd like to remove the bed and front end, and lift the cab enough to blast and POR15 the frame. It's also needs new bed supports.

Back to the exhaust, if I go with the Diam Eye 4" turbo-back, just how hard is it to get the old downpipe out and the new one in place? I remember seeing posts from a few years ago where someone said they had to take a sledge hammer to the firewall to get a pipe in. Maybe that was a 5", not sure, but I don't want to do that to mine. I can't leave it as-is because it needs a state inspection.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I though supposedly the SD trucks are easier.
My 94 4x4 wasn't bad. I didn't touch the firewall.
My kit was 3 about halfway down the dp, to 3.5 then 4 at the bottom, iirc.
Getting the old one out, I cut the elbow off at the turbo.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
615 Posts
OBS trucks are the ones that are a pain to get the downpipe to fit, a 4” will slide in no problem at all

1 - 15 of 15 Posts