Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To keep from derailing Adrian's MAD turbo werks: MAD TRUCK BUILD:::: thread any further, I figured I would start this thread for guys with their MTW Stage 2s to post specific information about their experience with this turbo. I am looking mostly for the following: list of applicable mods, EGTs, boost output, HP/TQ numbers if you got em, how you use your truck, any other tid bit you may feel is important. I think this will help people that are looking at the Stage 2 to be able to determine if it will fit their building goal.

NOTE: Please DO NOT post about any other turbo (Powermax, Non-VGT, any other MTW turbo, etc). Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I went to the Stage 2 from the LBZ durastroke (one of the first turbos that Adrian ever made and is the predecessor to the Stage 1) just so I could see what it would do with a set of 190/100 injectors. My injectors are from Renegade Diesel and are actually just under 190cc (they are actually cut to ~188cc but that is really close enough for me to call em 190s). Well to cut to the chase with my truck, the Stage 2 wasn't really enough turbo for the size of the injectors that were in my truck. I could hit 1800F on my pyro with a WOT run from 40-80 mph with Eric's Xtreme X and IDP's Mild FICM tune and I rolled more coal that a cummings fag would. Now with my SPD tune from Chris @ TSD, the EGTs only made it to about 1760F on a WOT run from 30-101 mph (where I let out) and the smoke was lighter as well. My boost numbers with this turbo were about 28psi at WOT (according to my MAP sensor displayed on my CTS) with this turbo. I unfortunately didn't keep this turbo very long (about a week), so I wasn't able to get a real good feel for what this one is capable of. I know my cruising EGTs with all of my tunes (Eric's, Vivian's, Chris's, and Matt's) was about 720-750F at 70-75mph and OAT was in the 85-90F range.
I know this turbo is capable of handling 155/50s without a problem and is probably capable of handling 175s as well (not sure on the nozzle size yet as that remains to be determined). I know when Adrian and I were at the TS event and watched Bill run his truck with 175/stock injectors, he launched at the line with like mid to upper 30s for boost and there was NO (ZERO) smoke. Of course the turbo did surge some but I really think this turbo needs live tuning to see what the full potential of this beast really is. I think this turbo with full fuel 175/75s will put one in the 550hp range and is still responsive enough to allow the truck to be defueled for towing as it just needs a little extra fuel in comparison to the stock turbo to get spooled down low (below 1500 rpms). JMOs here. Hope they help.

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
My build plan is 175/75% with a stage 2 (still deciding if I need the billet wheel):dunno:

So I like this thread! I think this build is gonna be good for towing and the pocket compared to the 190s/ stage 3! Cuz then I would need a tranny REAL quick knowing how I drive:lol:

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I personally think the Stage 2 with 175/75s would be REAL fun. I have been spending the last few days crunching A LOT of numbers and I truely believe that a truck with the supporting mods with these injectors will make ~540-550rwhp (stock tires and stock gears). I think the truck will smoke a decent haze and EGTs will be in the 1500-1600F range at WOT and 100+ mph on a race tune and a mild FICM tune (Atlas 40 or IDP Mild Flash). I also think that since the Stage 2 has been proven to be very fast spooling with stock injectors and a race tune, I think with defueled 175s on a tow tune, the Stage 2 will have no problem spooling up and with the benefits seen with other turbos that have ran a batmowheel, I think the Stage 2 would only spool faster with one of those. JMOs here.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You will need a fuel system with these injectors. At the very least you'll need a RR kit and sump. I would recommend starting there and seeing how the fuel pressure holds up.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Heres my take on the little bit I drove my stage 2. Very nice turbo! Seriously I only ran it on stock tuning and gear heads 8k tow neither set up for the turbo or my 175 stock nozzles. I am running all supporting mods and a moderate ficm tune from IDP. My stage 2 has a batmowheel also. spool up on an empty truck running stock tuning was really no different, the only difference noted was less boost pressure then with stock turbo, but spooled up and ready at the same rpm. My thoughts are if your gonna spend the 1500 on a stage 2 just do it and get the batmowheel. I will post up some more details as I get them. So far I am very pleased with my purchases and can't wait to continue testing.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey man, not trying to be a jerk or anything, but let's start a thread about your build and carry the discussion about your questions there so we can keep this thread cleaned up for the MTW Stage 2 owners and I think this way you'll be able to get more attention to your questions. Thanks man. :thumb:

·
Registered
380 Posts
sorry, total hijack. if you can delete those comments I would be fine with that. I was just trying to get a good feel for the supporting mods that are a must to make this work. Thats all.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Now I feel like an ***. If you notice I only have a bit over a hundred posts. I usually do a lot more reading that posting. I Would love to know what supporting mods a lot of these guys have with this turbo. You know what's working and not working for them. I got a bit overboard with my "will this work" ideas.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Nate thanks for starting this thread, I have the money to get this turbo and just want to see more guys post on this thing. as you know, just finished the RR and all the other bells and whistles. If I get the billet wheel does that negate the Batmowheel what ever that is? And is there any tuffer sub for the aluminum exhaust turbine.

·
Premium Member
22,934 Posts
Sweet, another MTW thread!! Subscribed.:thumb:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the stage 2, 175/75s. I have had a tremendous experience with Adrian, and now Matt with customer service and support.

My current plans are to eventually move up to a stage 3, probably with the same injectors. (I hate smoke, my dream would be to have none. That's not going to happen, I get that, but I think I would real popular over at the cummins forums right now. With the high school kids...)

I do want to get the problems I am having with this turbo straightened out before I move up, both because it is a challenge and because it will help out the community as a whole. It will happen, I can feel it.

I may have a problem of some kind with my truck, very good possibility, or it is also likely it is just that the programming needs sorted out. I am not aware of anyone near Arizona that does live programming so we may be at the mercy of someone with this combo getting it live tuned. Maybe even Adrian.

Been very hesitant to post regarding this because I would rather post after we get it sorted out, but hard to ignore this thread when I think I will have relevant info.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nate thanks for starting this thread, I have the money to get this turbo and just want to see more guys post on this thing. as you know, just finished the RR and all the other bells and whistles. If I get the billet wheel does that negate the Batmowheel what ever that is? And is there any tuffer sub for the aluminum exhaust turbine.
The "billet wheel" option is the batmowheel for a GT4088 turbo. They are one and the same. Also since the Hybrid only comes with a billet wheel. That billet wheel also is a batmowheel for a GT4088.

·
Motor Head.
1,767 Posts
subscribed as I will probably be getting the stage 2.

·
Registered
948 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Im subscribing because hopefully ill have my stage 2 in a couple months. Working on my newly found fuel leak at my tank and my 155's injectors this weekend!

·
Registered
371 Posts
I think 175/75's or smaller would be a great match for it. It would be a very fun quick truck. It will not clean up my 190/75s though. Still plenty of power, and a damn quick spooling turbo. I have only seen about 1600 running wot with the xtreme x and the atlas 80. Im trying to get a spoolup video and smoke video as soon as i find a damn go pro lol.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's good to know Chad. If you're seeing 1600F for EGTs, I think 175/75s will be in the 1500F range. What are you seeing for boost numbers?? Have you had Eric rework your Xtreme X since you put the turbo on the truck??

1 - 20 of 94 Posts