Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aright guys here is my first impression of the MTW stage 2. Excellent piece! I got my turbo last weekend and threw it in the truck monday night. My turbo had a mishap thanks to fedex so I was unable to run it until tonight. My vgt actuator got smashed in transit so Adrian came though as usual and overnighted me a new one! I have a set of 175 stock nozzle injectors to go with the stage 2. I was able to drive the truck for about 2 hours tonight and really get a feel for it. Background on my truck, I have studs, egr delete, IDP ficm mild flash, airdog2, 4in turbo back, wrapped up pipes, 175 stock nozzle, mtw stage 2 billet wheel. So I ran the truck with stock ECM tuning took it easy at first got used to the new setup. The turbo sounds just like before I sent it to Adrian (no more or less whistle), but when the truck was on high idle you can hear an incredible amount of air getting sucked in when you stand next to the truck. I did a few 3/4 throttle runs and rolled on the power was able to hit 24psi of boost easily and hold it. I did notice from a dead stop I would leave a puff of unburnt fuel that really would linger. Honestly with stock programming and an empty truck I felt the turbo spooled just the same as stock. I will continue to watch my gauges a little better then I was and post up some real data. Never saw higher then 1050 egts. I am going to run it stock for a little longer then move up to a tow tune and so on. I am very impressed by this setup so far, it does have more power then my stock set up (butt o meter) I really can't wait to tune it! When you lay on the throttle it doesn't sound like it used to, there is more of a growl then I remember. All in all so far I am very pleased. Adrian is a great guy to do business with my turbo looks great, dropped right in like it was stock, sounds good, and so far seems to be performing better then I expected! Adrian builds top notch stuff don't be afraid to call him up and pick his brain he will talk to you for hours. He really went out of his way to help me get going sooner rather then later there was no reason for him to overnight me a part that fedex smashed, but it was much appreciated! Ill keep updating as I try my old tunes (for a stock truck) and finally some new tunes (175 stock nozzle stage 2)

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Thanks, and glad you are enjoying the turbo. There's a couple of things I would like to help you with. First if you are running factory intake replace it with aftermarket, it will make a huge differance with the turbo. Next is that you will have to get it tuned, the 175 injectors even tho the stage 2 with billet can handle those injectors, you will have to get fuel pulled at idle.When turbo is not boosting and you hit it hard injectors will smoke they all do, fuel is going in and air isn't there yet. So if you get fuel reduced just alittle so when you hit it so there isn't as much fuel then fuel comes in same as air it will run cleaner. Also once you get the tune right the turbo will wake up really fast and that truck will pull like a freight train. You have just begun the maddness, the right tune and you will have a slime on your face every time you get on the throttle.:icon_ford:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thanks, and glad you are enjoying the turbo. There's a couple of things I would like to help you with. First if you are running factory intake replace it with aftermarket, it will make a huge differance with the turbo. Next is that you will have to get it tuned, the 175 injectors even tho the stage 2 with billet can handle those injectors, you will have to get fuel pulled at idle.When turbo is not boosting and you hit it hard injectors will smoke they all do, fuel is going in and air isn't there yet. So if you get fuel reduced just alittle so when you hit it so there isn't as much fuel then fuel comes in same as air it will run cleaner. Also once you get the tune right the turbo will wake up really fast and that truck will pull like a freight train. You have just begun the maddness, the right tune and you will have a slime on your face every time you get on the throttle.:icon_ford:
What intake do you recommend with your turbos? as i will be buying your stage2 w/billet wheel in a couple months.

·
Real Men of Genius
5,309 Posts
What intake do you recommend with your turbos? as i will be buying your stage2 w/billet wheel in a couple months.
Either an S&B or aFe will do fine.

Congrats on your new toy! I'm also looking at doing the Stage 2 (which I have) with 175s (working on those). Definitely let us know how you like them. I'm running Matt's SRL Extreme tune now, and it runs a little hot - but very fast. I honestly think that I need bigger injectors to get this turbo moving. I have the cast wheel, which might need to be upgraded...

·
Motor Head.
1,767 Posts
subscribed

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so I made some calls today and should have some new tunes to try to get rid of the smoke off idle. Truck is still running the same, feels like the truck has more power everywhere then stock if it didn't smoke off idle it would be perfect. The turbo has no more lag then stock on stock tuning very impressed so far I'll update once I get my new tunes

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've wanted one of the stage 2 ( little boys) for what seem like forever to run with my 175 stock nozzles. If only madd had layaway lol.

·
Registered
58 Posts
the billet wheel is a great upgrade as i had the original and then got the billet..i can really tell the difference in the spool up...not that the original was bad but i think the billet is better..

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know with stock tuning the truck spooled up like stock, I really couldn't tell much of a difference. I only know the billet wheel and I am very impressed by this set up, I just got some new tunes from Matt to run on it and it seemed pretty good. The injectors sound funny when you are coasting to a stop no matter what tune I run but man does the truck pull hard when I am on the throttle. I have yet to run a performance tune just 8k tow. All in all I am happy so far. I still have some dialing in to do but I have been talking to Eric a lot and am considering going to get live tuned.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One other update, I found the problem with the smoke off idle, after talking with Adrian for countless hours and pestering Eric we thought it could have been the injectors, but before I bothered pulling them out I pulled the down pipe (Adrian's suggestion) and found the culprit. When fedex smashed my turbo they did just that, there is a crack somewhere in the center section and I found a slight oil leak in the valley from somewhere above the turbo drain but not the vgt actuator. It was also pumping oil into the turbine wheel. So Adrian said send it right back and he is going to replace the center section! It really is nice dealing with such a stand up guy, I hope we can get fedex to cough up some money because it was obviously abused during shipment. It was packaged well, they must have driven over the thing.

Any way I built a plywood box very tightly around the turbo and will now be shipping it in there with lots of padding and then in another box with more padding. I will let you guys know when I get going again and really get some test time. I feel bad I have been calling Jesse Warren and picking his brain, they were willing to ship out a brand new set of injectors to get me going and I had to telling him just hold off until I figure out whats going on. Eric at innovative has been terrific in diagnostic help I can't thank him enough. All in all the customer support I have received from said people has just been unreal! They are the best for a reason.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Any updates on the situation...I see it's been a while. I have a set of warren 175/30's coming hopefully this week, along with s&b, 58v ficm, and sct from vivian, and ficm tuner from php (kinda an experiment with the 58v/injectors)...turbo is kinda next on the list.

I assume by now you have one back in the truck, and running again?...and if so, what tunes and all have you run with it? how's spool up tuned, and how's mileage been? Any towing? Thanks.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Gearhead, I have not gotten my turbo back yet. Adrian should be sending it back some point this week. He went ahead and replaced the center section and modded my turbine side so I hope to have some updates soon. If I have enough time I will be bringing my truck to IDP to get live tuned, otherwise it wont be until spring.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
I too will be going with the stage 2 to feed my 175/stock injectors. I also have some other things in the works as well. Mike keep this thread updated as I want to know what to expect from a similar setup.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went with the stage 2 over the hybrid mainly because I ordered it just before Adrian decided to sell hybrids and I wanted the .72 A/R compressor housing that the stage 2 has. I will keep this updated with all my feedback!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm building a similar setup, may drop to 155cc(wanted 175s) injectors with stage 2. Will my stock fuel system be enough to feed this setup with blue spring and either 6.4 banjos or stage I fuels lines with a X over? My head gaskets have a small leak and I'll be taking it down for new ARPs so it's time to get a little more out of it but I don't want it to be unreliable at all.This is my plan: http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-.../272758-new-diesel-owner-new-motor-build.html

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
I'm building a similar setup, may drop to 155cc(wanted 175s) injectors with stage 2. Will my stock fuel system be enough to feed this setup with blue spring and either 6.4 banjos or stage I fuels lines with a X over? My head gaskets have a small leak and I'll be taking it down for new ARPs so it's time to get a little more out of it but I don't want it to be unreliable at all.This is my plan: http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-.../272758-new-diesel-owner-new-motor-build.html
I just got off the phone with jesse warren, he said stock fuel system with 175's would be fine, especially with stock/30 nozzles. The blue spring is a preventative measure anyway, and effects pressure more than volume, 6.4 banjos aid in volume (flow). He also assured me again that theyd be great for towing, optimized by tuning of course but that they'd do fine as is, and he seemed very fond of the 58v ficm, which was also reassuring. He mentioned that the 58v also aids in stiction reduction, which coincides with people's claim that 58v starts better and runs smoother. I'm stoked.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts