Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the chance to buy a MTW hybrid for $1000. Should I pull the trigger?
My truck is a 2005 6.0 that i use to tow heavy trailers quite frequently, currently the truck is all stock, just a RCD EGR delete and tunes from matt at gearhead. I planned on doing studs, rebuilt/resized 155cc/30% injectors, and a MTW stage one.
Would the hybrid be the better deal? Or should i stick with my original plan? $1000 for the hybrid and i get to keep my stocker, or sell it

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
I have the chance to buy a MTW hybrid for $1000. Should I pull the trigger?
My truck is a 2005 6.0 that i use to tow heavy trailers quite frequently, currently the truck is all stock, just a RCD EGR delete and tunes from matt at gearhead. I planned on doing studs, rebuilt/resized 155cc/30% injectors, and a MTW stage one.
Would the hybrid be the better deal? Or should i stick with my original plan? $1000 for the hybrid and i get to keep my stocker, or sell it
First IMO I would skip the 155/30... no need for a bigger nozzles on that small of an injector (nozzles also double the price). A 30% nozzle can flow enough fuel for almost a 205cc injectors. I would go with 155/stock, 175/stock, or 175/30

The stage 1 is a great option.

Some people loved the hybrid and some people hated it. I don't think they sell it anymore because of the mixed feedback. Maybe talk to Adrian and see how much he would charge to upgrade the hybrid into a stage 2

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First IMO I would skip the 155/30... no need for a bigger nozzles on that small of an injector (nozzles also double the price). A 30% nozzle can flow enough fuel for almost a 205cc injectors. I would go with 155/stock, 175/stock, or 175/30

The stage 1 is a great option.

Some people loved the hybrid and some people hated it. I don't think they sell it anymore because of the mixed feedback. Maybe talk to Adrian and see how much he would charge to upgrade the hybrid into a stage 2
Should I go with 155s or 175s? I tow 10k regularly and see upwards of 13k so I don't want my EGT's through the roof.
A couple of my buddies made their own stage one so i could always go that route, save some money

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
You can run 175/stock and just have 2 tunes

1 tow tunes that runs just like stock injectors or 155cc injectors
1 race tune that runs like 175cc injectors

It is like having the best of both worlds

You can "make" your own stage 1 but you will either have to do the machine work or make a dura stroke out of a dmax. Then source a billet wheel and rebuild kit. Even after that you won't have all the "special" tweaks that MTW puts into their stage 1.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Lakewood, the guy giving you advice is building what may be the best option out there right now. Cracks me up, maybe he's to humble.

Reactions: peixinho

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can run 175/stock and just have 2 tunes

1 tow tunes that runs just like stock injectors or 155cc injectors
1 race tune that runs like 175cc injectors

It is like having the best of both worlds

You can "make" your own stage 1 but you will either have to do the machine work or make a dura stroke out of a dmax. Then source a billet wheel and rebuild kit. Even after that you won't have all the "special" tweaks that MTW puts into their stage 1.
Yes they run dura strokes, i forgot what they where called. I can build a dura stroke for $300 or so
Lakewood, the guy giving you advice is building what may be the best option out there right now. Cracks me up, maybe he's to humble.
The best option for him yes, i dont want a 700 hp DD though. I would like 500 to the wheels, but i would content with whatever a MTW stage one and 155s get me.

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
Thanks for the support... I am still in R&D phase right now but hopefully soon I can start selling a bunch here soon. I figure there is plenty of business to go around and I don't like stepping on anyone's toes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the support... I am still in R&D phase right now but hopefully soon I can start selling a bunch here soon. I figure there is plenty of business to go around and I don't like stepping on anyone's toes.
I appreciate the help from someone with the experience in 6.0L performance.
I excel in making things last. I've made my 6.0 last over 165k on bolts and gaskets from the factory. Time to play a little more now
I spend most of my forum time on ford-trucks.com, but that site is more for diagnostic and trouble shooting, came here for performance :icon_ford:

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
Well since you came here for performance... make sure you get a billet wheel if you build the dura-stroke. I prefer the 11 blade single plane wheel. Also it would not hurt to throw in a 360 bearing for extra insurance.

155/stock and a stage 1 will put you on average around 440-480hp (depending on supporting mods and FICM strategies)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well since you came here for performance... make sure you get a billet wheel if you build the dura-stroke. I prefer the 11 blade single plane wheel. Also it would not hurt to throw in a 360 bearing for extra insurance.

155/stock and a stage 1 will put you on average around 440-480hp (depending on supporting mods and FICM strategies)
The dura stroke is my wallet talking, my good sense tells me stage 1
I would get a FICM tune

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
This stuff is too funny, I will just sit back and watch. OP, you have obviously already done some respectable research, keep up the good work. Everything is a tradeoff for something else, the ultimate work truck can't be the ultimate play truck, especially on a budget. You are on the right track.

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
This stuff is too funny, I will just sit back and watch. OP, you have obviously already done some respectable research, keep up the good work. Everything is a tradeoff for something else, the ultimate work truck can't be the ultimate play truck, especially on a budget. You are on the right track.

Not sure what that is supposed to mean... but how do you know that I don't offer a great option :poke

Don't mean to derail but what is so funny?

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
What size is a " Dura stroke " ( inlet ) ? I'm coming into this performance " stuff " later
than most and I'm obviously asking eye rolling questions - sorry guys .
Thanks
There are a couple of different sizes of the dura stroke... it depends on the year you make it out of

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Y'all have a different kind of humor on this page. Haven't quite figured it out yet lol.
Im just building an all around street able truck that can tow with the big boys during the day and show the cumapart boys what 8 cylinders looks like at the track

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
I think you are on the right track. Keep doing your research and asking questions. Sounds like you will end up with a great truck when you are done.

I get lost in the humor too... I am not sure what Jetjock thought was so funny but I think you are doing a great job and asking the right questions.

:icon_ford:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think you are on the right track. Keep doing your research and asking questions. Sounds like you will end up with a great truck when you are done.

I get lost in the humor too... I am not sure what Jetjock thought was so funny but I think you are doing a great job and asking the right questions.

:icon_ford:
Thanks, i do my research and lurk before i ask anything.
As daddy always told me, think before you speak

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Not sure what that is supposed to mean... but how do you know that I don't offer a great option :poke

Don't mean to derail but what is so funny?

The humor is how much things change over such little periods of time. Once your on here for five years you will understand the humor. Just like how 6.4 banjos were all the rage for some time (I never replaced mine) now making little adjustments to the turbos is the "in" fad. I bought a MTW turbo so I'm not saying there is not room for improvements or that I'm exempt from accepting new technologies, but lets not pretend we are about to re-invent the wheel. The blatant humor is in one newb telling another newb they just shed light on a "new" concept.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Sorry, The forums are a hit and miss for me depending on what I have going on. As far as peixinho is involved he is a very stand up guy and his turbo would also be something to think about when he starts to sell them. As far as I'm concerned you can't go too big on a VGT turbo. I'm running a stage 4 which is 71mm/95mm compressor, with stock injectors and runs great. I also agree with Charlie, if you want to save money just go with the 155 and stock nozzles, if you want more power then go to 175/30 injectors, you will still be able to tow what you want and make great power.

As far as making you own Durastroke you can do that too, but basically you getting a Duramax and putting that cover on the Powerstoke mid section, then will have to make the difference in the way the outlet comes out with silicon boots. A lot of time the boots will blow off when under a lot of boost, you will also need a boot adapter for the air intake for the turbo. The wheel from the Duramax is also a single cast wheel which was the one I was having the surging issues on some trucks, which is why I switched to a billet wheel, and have stopped all surging issues with any truck running the stage 1.

Now for the Hybrid, I will be getting all the Hybrids that customers didn't like and converting them to a stage 2, all they have to pay is shipping to me. I have been getting all the parts I need to do the converting and will be offering it very soon.

The newbie thing is nothing I agree with about, everyone stated as new and some may have a lot of experience from other things in past that may work better then what is out there now. The new guys are asking questions which might lead to great things, always good to have a fresh new look, might or might not work, but for me always welcome. As always it is just my opinion.

Reactions: peixinho

·
Registered
288 Posts
I did take a little offence to the newb coment, but what the heck it's the internet and jetjock has been around here a while and has a wickedly built truck. I do however have some info to offer after trying for a year to get a hybrid to work on my truck.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.