Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought my transmission was on it's last legs. I do haul a 30 ft 5th. The trans was not shifting properly and had an intermittent mild shudder going into OD.

No flashing OD light though.

Was actually shopping around for transmission prices :eek:hnoes:

A fellow Power Stroke owner recommended Graham at Mr Transmission on 104 Ave just up from King George Hwy. He told me Graham knows these transmissions well and does good work. Mr Transmission in Langley was also recommended by Joel. But the one on 104th is much closer to home :)

Well I took it to Graham. He road tested it and then dropped the pan. He said it had a leak which I knew. Pulled the filter and I saw that it had some material in it. I was told it was a little more than normal but not enough to be concerned about.

He said there was no codes.

So a new filter and synthetic fluid and we're back on the road again. The trans feels great now. And I didn't need a new trans after all (for now anyway).

The real test though will be when we haul the 5th out to Cultus Lake in week and half :please:

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Im sorry to bet against you Shayne, but urban legend says if the fluid hasn't been changed in a long time, and then you change in, the trans will die shortly after.

Been proven many times. Including mine. :)

Good luck though

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
Im sorry to bet against you Shayne, but urban legend says if the fluid hasn't been changed in a long time, and then you change in, the trans will die shortly after.

Been proven many times. Including mine. :)

Good luck though
I fully agree with this. Get ready within the next 6 months or so... It will go out. I've had it happen on a few rigs before.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm.... When I bought the truck about 2 and half years ago I did not know the maintenance history or any better and changed all the fluids in the truck including the transmission :doh:

When I bought it it had 198,000 km (123,750 miles). I have put 22,000 km (13,750 miles) on it since. The truck has made multiple trips over the Coquihalla Highway both ways and a trip over the Cascade mountains all with the 30 ft 5th on.

Won't be going very far with the 5th this year. I've already resigned myself to having to get a rebuilt transmission so it's not a big deal. Even the wife is on side :D

How many more miles do you think are left in it? Maybe we should start taking bets for bragging rights :hehe:

·
Registered
310 Posts
BC Diesel Truck Repair

Let me know if I can help out.... we can offer some pretty good deals on a BD Transmission & Converter package, especially if we are installing. We also have some better than stock in house re-build options if a BD Transmission in not in your budget.

Hope this helps
Dave

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For the record I was kidding

I would have done more than a pan drop fluid swap since that only gets a third of the fluid out
What else would you have done?

I was told that because it now had synthetic in it that if it needed fluid to only add synthetic fluid. That regular fluid should only be used if in a pinch and synthetic is not available.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
So Shayne, how's it holding up? Still shifting strong?
Maybe you were one of the lucky ones

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So Shayne, how's it holding up? Still shifting strong?
Maybe you were one of the lucky ones
Well, 350 km since. Seems to be working fine.

The test will be later this week when hauling the 5th from Tsawwassen to Cultus Lake and back :please:

We'll see. At least if it goes it won't be a shock :hehe:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts