Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever experiment with mpg's using different brands of fuel. I work with a cummins guy who swears some are better than others in his and it is enough of a difference that it is worth the extra cost vs. the cheap fuels. I've been using walmarts murphy in both of mine and don't seem to get as good as many on here claim they are getting. I'm thinking its time for me to experiment with different brands just to see if I can improve mpg's. I just wanted some input from anyone that has noticed a difference in the brands.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I tried that once, I bought Chevron diesel for about 4.19 a gallon. I was only averaging about 13 in town, then I went back to the cheap truck stop fuel (3.84) and get 14.( but thats with diesel Kleen additive)

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
I can usually get better MPG with Hess over Sunoco. But (Duh!) my truck really likes 500..

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I haven't noticed to much of a difference myself, around me I have sunoco, bp and getgo. Usually the truck gets filled at bp but I've tried the others and no difference to me

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
My only rule is that I don't fill up at the podunk stations that are known for selling cheap gas. :wink[3]:

·
COLLEGE KID
3,226 Posts
I use truck stops just cuz I think since the fuel is always being pumped it gets stirred alot?? I made up my own theory

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Years ago I had a gasser and used Phillips 66 gas because I got better mileage with it. I know around here with gassers there are 2 stations I get better mpg with, Shell and Marathon. I had just never tried it with diesel but I do use Diesel Kleen in both of mine. With the difference in prices being as much as .30 it might not be worth it to try it. I know in cars ethanol is not a very efficient fuel and WalMart mixes ethanol in their diesel so I was just kinda thinking it might be hurting me as far as mpg's go. I kinda make my own theories too Looie, works for me anyway.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Try 2 stroke oil instead of Diesel Kleen.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Why 2 stroke over Diesel Kleen?
I ran Diesel Kleen in a few tanks of mine. Didn't notice any changes at all in mileage, start up, power, etc. Switched to a 1:128 ratio of 2 stroke oil (1oz per every gallon of fuel). Truck is much quieter, runs smoother, and I get better mileage. Plus, it adds lubrication that the ULSD has taken away from our trucks.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ran Diesel Kleen in a few tanks of mine. Didn't notice any changes at all in mileage, start up, power, etc. Switched to a 1:128 ratio of 2 stroke oil (1oz per every gallon of fuel). Truck is much quieter, runs smoother, and I get better mileage. Plus, it adds lubrication that the ULSD has taken away from our trucks.
I'll have to give that a try, I don't have anything to lose.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
If you have any place handy to get it Biodiesel is about the best additive you can use in as little as a 2% concentration. Really quieted my truck down. I throw about 2 1/2 gals in when I fill up my long bed 38 gal tank. I am thinking about going to 5 gals. The difference in the truck is really amazing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts