Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got to take the truck on a longer trip without a trailer attached. I went down to Fayetteville, WV for my twice a year rafting trip, which is a little over 800 miles round trip. Cruising around 70-75 I averaged 23.5 MPG! Even on the longer trips I've made with a trailer (around 8000-9000 pounds) I averaged 17/5-18 MPG, and I always get 18-19 MPG cruising around town.

I have a heavy foot and I have no complaints about the kind of mileage I have been getting out of this heavy truck. Even with the price differential between gas and diesel I'm still making out better than driving my old 13-14 MPG V8 explorer. Funny thing is, the truck gets the best MPG on the 120 performance tune, if I change it to the 80 economy tune I drop a good 1-2 MPG. Anybody else experience this with a DP tuner?

And of course, those are hand calculated MPG's above, though my trip computer is always within .2 MPG of my calculations.

·
OperationSmile.org
2,011 Posts
I get the best mileage in my 140 race tune. I wish I could get 18. My best mileage is around 13-14 right now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
18-19 seems really good. I noticed a difference from my truck being at stock and then running Hypertech stage 3 that it is now. Definitely picked up a couple mpg's.

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Sorry man I just don't buy this. 23 mpg in a Powerstroke that hasn't been gutted no way. 18 mpg towing a 9K trailer, impossible. Please don't get me wrong I'm not saying your lying, but there is something wrong, either with your calc or with your speedo. I have been around these trucks for a long time and I know when something is way out of line. There was a member of another Ford PSD forum, I won't mention names, he has been in several magazines and he is the king out of milage for his 7.3 and he is just barely hitting 23. He has totally gutted everything out of his truck, something like 800-1,000 lbs removed, he lowered the thing to the ground and even built a wind resistent canopy over the bed to deflect wind, changed gearing to 3:08's along with other serious mods for milage. There is no way a stock truck can be getting 23 mpg. Especially loaded down for a trip like you took and the hills in WV. Flame away!!!!!

NCH

·
Registered
12 Posts
Makes sense to me to get better MPG's on the higher setting, more availlable power means less right foot to keep going. I have also talked to a few guys that are getting in the low 20's, one is even claiming a little over 24 MPG...believe it if you like.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
i agree with nchornet. i dont even see that kinda mileage and my truck weighs only 5500pds. best i got was 21 with a very and i mean very light foot.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
My 97 got 18mpg easy. If it was kept under 50mph, i've gotten 21mpg out of it.

Now my '01 on the other hand sucks fuel compared to it! Best Ive gotten out of it yet is 15 1/2mpg. I WISH it would get better!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Have you guys running 35's taken into account that the mileage that your odometer says is less than what you have actually gone. I have to multiply my mileage by 1.0857 then I can divide that number by the gallons of diesel I got to figure out my mpg. Just FYI, not all people I know take that into account with plus size tire sizes.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Have you guys running 35's taken into account that the mileage that your odometer says is less than what you have actually gone. I have to multiply my mileage by 1.0857 then I can divide that number by the gallons of diesel I got to figure out my mpg. Just FYI, not all people I know take that into account with plus size tire sizes.
I just took my truck in to the dealership and had them adjust the PCM for my tire size. Cost about 90 bucks

·
Registered
166 Posts
my dads old 2000 f-250, 7.3, crew cab, long bed, with the superchip 1705 programmer on tow safe and towing a 28ft all aluminum enclosed trailer at about 7,000lbs and with 4 guys in the truck was getting 18-20 mpg going from the gas station down the street, to our house then 5 miles of city driving and then like 198 miles of highway driving(total trip about 206 miles) to gaylord, mi and when we would get to gaylord he would be just under 3/4 tank of fuel and when we fill up it would take between 10 and 11 gallons of fuel. and hand calculated its usaully between 18-20 mpg, and that is with stock wheels and stock size tires. u can call it BS but we probably made the trip 9 times a winter for 4 winters in a row.

and with the programmer in my truck on hi performance it was getting like 14 mpg.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just the post I was looking for! So I'm a bit new to the Powerstrokes but I have concerns regarding my MPG. I have a 02 F250 Heavy Duty Crew Cab Long Bed with a 4 inch lift with I believe 35's all around. I'm getting around 12ish during my commute which is 12 miles all city driving no highway driving. On our trip over Memorial Day I averaged about 9 MPG that's with towing a 10,000 toy hauler. Should I be getting better and if so what do i need to do?

Thanks
Todd

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
One thing we all might be overlooking is the amount of "foam" that the fuel produces as it's pumped into the tank. Unless you are consistantly filling the tank up the entire way, you really don't know just how much foam is in there and therefore don't know exactly how much fuel you burned.

Just something to think about...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well I have been filling up completely for the past couple months but that is going to stop when it's damn near $5 a gallon here in Washington!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Man, haven't checked this thread in a day or two...

Yeah, I thought about the difference with the amount of fuel I was actually able to put in (concerning aeration of the fuel). Beleive what you want, but all I know is what I have figured out by hand. I could be wrong in my figures, let me know if I am. I'm running 285's on all four corners and sofar my speedometer has been confirmed with my buddies car and the gps unit I have. All I know is the first tank I got 423 miles out of it before I fueled up. I filled the tank about three inches from the filler neck (which takes forever) before this btw. I got about 18.5 gallons in it again (figuring from the $89.86 bill i got at $4.84 a gallon it was in fayetteville, and I filled it to within inches of the filler neck). My mileage thingy said 22.4mpg, with the hand mileage figured at ~22.86mpg. On the way home I had to stop by a buddies house in Lancaster and put on a total of 488 miles. I did some errands and ended up at 523 miles on this tank. Filled it up to the top with $107.95 of fuel at $4.83/gallon in Ephrata. That's about 22.3 gallons of fuel on 523 miles should be about 23.5 mpg. My mileage thingy said 23.2 by the time I got home after running around a little.

Either way, I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
well i guess that could be right then. i didnt notice you had a 6 speed. either way if your tripometer is saying those miles than thats not bad at all.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
people always think its a lie when i tell them i get 21 highway. 515 mi on a tank of fuel. no matter how you look at it its dang good

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, IDK, all the other posts I see on mileage are no where near mine (with comparable trucks), that's why I was so happy when I started seeing those numbers. I know my around town mileage is def. 18-19 because I check that all the time. Maybe I'll have to make another long trip and see if I get the same results :dunno:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
people always think its a lie when i tell them i get 21 highway. 515 mi on a tank of fuel. no matter how you look at it its dang good
I hear that. I was having a long discussion with a couple older guys about my truck and their cars since they had basically called me a moron for buying a diesel truck back in November. Told them what my mileage was on the way down and they just looked at me like I was an idiot.

I didn't even argue with them, just let it go...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
This is very interesting to me. I have 35's on my truck and I guess I never really thought that it would make THAT big of a difference, but I guess there is definetly the possibility that the odometer could be significantly off over time with larger tires. May I ask you how you determined that you must calculate your mileage by multiplying by 1.0857? How do you get to that specific number?

By the way, my truck had 265/75-16's from the factory, now it has 315/75-16's. Should I be calculating my mileage using this 1.0857?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Hoytster, I 100% believe you :thumb:, with a DP Tuner and a light foot you can get that. I get 21 sometimes, are trucks are similar.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts