Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to add some MPG's to a 99' 7.3 PSD. It is a 4wd ext cab. So far only have a Superchips Flaspaq programmer. Want to add power and mileage and not have it extremely loud.

What combo's do you all run and what kind of MPG are you getting? START THE LIST!

Thanks!

·
Registered
423 Posts
intake exhaust programer gears iget 22mpg on highway

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Install a high strength bunjy(sp?) cord from your knee to your toes, that will help greatly with milage!! :hehe:

Seriously~
No black smoke
No brakes (especially uphill)
Under 2000K
Under 6 lbs. boost
Quality fuel additive

Nobody wants to hear it, but that is the best way to save MPG's, by adjusting your driving styles and habits...This will gain far more mpg's than any programmer.

:twocents: FWIW

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
More power and better MPG don't usually go together, except for DP's 80 econo tune, but you need some prior mods first. Which you should have done before buying the Superchips Flashpaq anyway, but since your sig isn't filled out I must assume you have no other mods. You have put the cart before the horse and may be asking for trouble. You don't want to add more ponies to a powertrain not designed for it. You need to back up to step one. The very first mod needs to be gauges. By doing them first you will have a good baseline on how your truck performs and you will be able to see how all future mods affect your truck, instead of saying "it feels like I have more boost, etc...." Get your gauges from Ken at www.kensperformancesolutions.com , tell him NCHornet sent you. Using the Superchips without gauges is playing with fire!!! Just allowing the 7.3 to breathe will make a huge difference. Get a good flowing intake ( not K&N drop in filter) I prefer the AIS system, but if you are on a budget and don't mind increased noise you can do the DIY Tymar set up for $50, if you go with the AIS make sure you perform the zoodad for the forced clean air, it will help some with a open element filter but not like on a closed system. next is exhaust. I have preached this a long time on diesel forums, most don't listen, those that do have some extra change in their pocket. You don't need a 4" system, the 3.5" stock system flows plenty, you need to remove the restriction, which is the factory muffler, it necks down the 3.5 to 2.5 and then throws the exhaust gasses through a offset which further builds backpressure. Backpressure is good on a gasser not on a diesel. Buy the Walker BTM muffler from Napa ( 45) this thing is massive and a straight shot 3.5" all the way through. Between the AIS/Zoodad and the BTM my exhaust temps dropped 100-150 degrees. My buddy has the same year and we did the same mods but he went with a 4" system and our EGT's are within 10-20 degrees, if that is worth a new exhaust system go for it!! I have never had to back out of my go pedal due to EGT's, even wide open towing heavy up a steep hill, this only happens from good air flow and proper tuning ( Thanks Jody) After this you need to support the auto trans, do this with a new valvebody, my favorite is the FTVB, but BTS and JW also make a fine product. Only after all these are you ready to add more ponies and still have a reliable truck. So you see there is a investment to be made if you want more power with mpg. The only tune I have seen both increased power and mpg is the 80 econo as I said before.

If you just want better mpg, as does everyone right now, follow the same advice posted on her daily recently.

Increased air flow and remove restriction in exhaust

Air up your tires

Remove all uneeded weight

keep rpm's below 2000

Make sure air and fuel filters are clean

keep boost as low as possible

draft off the truckers ( just kidding)

Buy a Geo Metro

·
Registered
429 Posts
TELL me more about the Auto tranny valve body. Is dis something i can install myself? and what excalty does it do? how are the prices on dis upgrade. Very interested
Thanks

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
next is exhaust. I have preached this a long time on diesel forums, most don't listen, those that do have some extra change in their pocket. You don't need a 4" system, the 3.5" stock system flows plenty, you need to remove the restriction, which is the factory muffler, it necks down the 3.5 to 2.5 and then throws the exhaust gasses through a offset which further builds backpressure. Backpressure is good on a gasser not on a diesel. Buy the Walker BTM muffler from Napa ( 45) this thing is massive and a straight shot 3.5" all the way through.
Good advice. I have been thinking of this for some time too. If I get the muffler, will it fit in place of the stock one if I turn the S pipe, or will I need some more 3.5 inch pipe to make it fit?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Drive sloooooow!

·
Registered
429 Posts
YES I agree, i've changed my driving habits 180. and my mpg's have increased not much but i get very close to 500 miles per tank 38 gal. 99psd 4X4, edge tuner Mac intake 5.5 fabtech lift. & 35 nitto grapplers 4" exhaust on the way and tranny valve body (future).
which is not bad for a 8000 lb (+) truck. Unless some smart *** cuts me off than the foot drops and there goes the mpg's HA

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Unless some smart *** cuts me off than the foot drops and there goes the mpg's HA
No matter how reserved you try to drive, I think that happens to all of us from time to time. :approve:

Oh, and NCHornet is right on all counts as usual...

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
TELL me more about the Auto tranny valve body. Is dis something i can install myself? and what excalty does it do? how are the prices on dis upgrade. Very interested
Thanks

Yes if you can change your own oil you can install a valvebody, but it is a messy job!!!! Make sure you have access to a inch lb torque wrench and follow the torque pattern and specs. I have the FTVB with a lighter 1/2 shift and love it, but as I said BTS and JW also make good units. Prices are $200-$300 and will save you clutch packs in the trans because it shortens the shift duration!!

The Walker BTM will fit right in by rotating the S pipe, no extra piping is needed. I paid $50 to show some idiot how to install it!!! A 4" system isn't needed, if you stick a 5/8 garden hose in a 6" pipe is it going to flow any more water? Think about it!!! I sure wouldn't go with a 4" downpipe, not if you like your low end torque.

NCH

·
Hate stupid people
8,536 Posts
i'm in the same boat as you jgalanti i also have a 99 w/ superchip. i did exhaust and also the diy intake and i usualy get 16-17 mpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts