Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of mpg are yall gettin with yalls 6.4? ive heard they get bad.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Mine came with 3.55 gears. Ford did this for 2010 to try and improve the economy. Didn't work too well.. With the DPF on and stock tuning I was getting 12/13 on a good day and that's highway driving. Took the DPF off, Spartan tuning and now I'm seeing 16-17 for around town driving and the lie-o-meter told me it was doing 21mpg on the last road trip I took. Glad I spent the go-fast $$!!

·
Registered
693 Posts
3.55 gears!!!! Thats terrible! Hell, these 3.73's I have always slip like crazy! Cant imagine how weak your rearend is!!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
3.55 gears!!!! Thats terrible! Hell, these 3.73's I have always slip like crazy! Cant imagine how weak your rearend is!!!
How can the gears in the rearend slip? Unless it's set-up competely wrong. Really.. with a diesel, 3.55 is sufficient, alot of gassers with 32/33" stock tires come with 3.73 and their power band is alot higher.

·
Registered
693 Posts
How can the gears in the rearend slip? Unless it's set-up competely wrong. Really.. with a diesel, 3.55 is sufficient, alot of gassers with 32/33" stock tires come with 3.73 and their power band is alot higher.
Im not saying the gears inside the dif slip, Im just saying that the low gearing makes one tire want to spin in slick spots... They dont want to lock up like at 4.10 or greater would... Catch my drift Snake?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The reason one tire spins is not your gear ratio, its the shoddy limited slip used by ford, or lack of limited slip all together. This is were a rear locker would come in handy, by linking the axle together (locking it) and making both tires spin. The reason you can't do this all the time is when you go around corners one tire will turn more than the other and you'll break something.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Im not saying the gears inside the dif slip, Im just saying that the low gearing makes one tire want to spin in slick spots... They dont want to lock up like at 4.10 or greater would... Catch my drift Snake?
4.10s offer MORE torque multiplication than 3.55s. Therefore, the 4.10s would be MORE likely to spin in traction-limited situations. Catch my drift?

·
Registered
221 Posts
mpg's suck!! Stick with what you have or go with a different brand if MPG's is a high priority. Or wait for the Scorpion, maybe that will be better, if dealing with DEF is OK with you.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Mine came with 3.55 gears. Ford did this for 2010 to try and improve the economy. Didn't work too well..
3.55:1 was not new for 2010, it started with 2008 Job 3. I know because I have one.

Have no complaints about performance.

Then again I'd complain if it got 30 MPG, wanting 40 MPG.

65 MPH results in about 16.5 MPG measured at the pump. Or 10 MPG if towing 6,000 pounds. About 14 MPG commuting to/from work, exactly where my Prius honestly does better than 50 MPG.

Drive the Prius to work during the week so I can drive the truck on weekends.

·
Registered
222 Posts
3.55:1 was not new for 2010, it started with 2008 Job 3. I know because I have one.

Have no complaints about performance.

Then again I'd complain if it got 30 MPG, wanting 40 MPG.

65 MPH results in about 16.5 MPG measured at the pump. Or 10 MPG if towing 6,000 pounds. About 14 MPG commuting to/from work, exactly where my Prius honestly does better than 50 MPG.

Drive the Prius to work during the week so I can drive the truck on weekends.
What I mean't by new for 2010 is that you can no longer get 3.73:1 gears as an option on the SRW trucks as you could previously. Only 3.55 in open and limited slip versions.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have just over 3k miles on my 2010 and I am getting about 14 to 15 mostly mixed driving. Best so far is 15.38 on about 60% Hwy and 40% City. Can't wait to see what happens with the DPF/DOC delete and SCT

·
Banned
3,771 Posts
heck the best i've got on my 7.3 was 17.8, but i get 14.5 towing..ha! got 14.8 last tank, 200+ miles of towing..up a mountain in the desert and back. i was quite happy. so eh ya'll aint doin bad unloaded..towing kills.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have just over 3k miles on my 2010 and I am getting about 14 to 15 mostly mixed driving. Best so far is 15.38 on about 60% Hwy and 40% City. Can't wait to see what happens with the DPF/DOC delete and SCT
Do you plan to do this (DPF/DOC delete and SCT) soon? I'd like to keep track of your progress since I have the same truck & intentions?

·
Registered
37 Posts
It will most likely be another month or two. I kind blew my wad buying the Truck, Banks CIA, Exhaust, and Frontier side steps for now. Gotta get some more mad money saved so the old lady won't ***** about how much money I am dumping into my 3 week old truck.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts