Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i just hit the 14000mi mark and went on a 600 mile trip this weekend. first half of the trip i averaged 17.6 mpg and on the second half i averaged 18.2 mpg. but boy did i have to baby it to get it. truck never went over 65 85% 2 lane highway probably had a moving average of 61 no wide open passes. kept the truck shifting at 2000 rpm and let the turbo do the work. truck was empty (besides laggage). and i got a little over 400 miles on my last tank of fuel. best ive got since the truck was new

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Thats pretty damn good mileage...and thats with the DPF on still right?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep dpf on no program, just my afe intake. i took off fri at 5am to pick a truck up at the body shop and i drove normal ( like an *** ) shifting 2500- 3000 and averaged 14.5 then i had time to kill for the rest of the trip so i took my time for the next 600 miles and it payed off. only went into regen one time.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Thats impressive.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im hoping it might be breaking in. i doubt it tho probably just got lucky between regens. it tried to break me this winter when they start running winter blend fuel. i was lucky to see 12mpg.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Break in does make a huge difference. Also some fuel is just better than others. The wind is also a major factor, the single most difference I have seen yet. I ran 75 to 80 mph 1300 miles and was getting 16.5 or so earlier this week. When I run 66 mph I usually get up in the 19's. 30,000 miles on the truck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I do see it in one of your sigs, but you should post your gear ratio, manual or auto, 4X or 2X, body style of the truck and type pf terrain to make this worth while......

otherwise it doesent make much of a comparison for anyone.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Still not impressed with the mileage out of mine at 21,000 miles. Its broke in by now for sure. 9 to 10 pulling 12k on the flats. 8 in the hills. Its a good thing diesels cheap:hehe: I only spent 2k this week in fuel and 65% was in my ford. I like the truck though!

·
Registered
20 Posts
well i just hit the 14000mi mark and went on a 600 mile trip this weekend. first half of the trip i averaged 17.6 mpg and on the second half i averaged 18.2 mpg. but boy did i have to baby it to get it. truck never went over 65 85% 2 lane highway probably had a moving average of 61 no wide open passes. kept the truck shifting at 2000 rpm and let the turbo do the work. truck was empty (besides laggage). and i got a little over 400 miles on my last tank of fuel. best ive got since the truck was new
Finally someone telling te truth about the mileage! Good job by the way. :thumb:It is a bummer having to baby it so much to get mileage from it but it can be done. I have Spartan 150 dpf delete tune, Edge Juice, Gibson exhaust and Snow performance methanol injection and have a best of 21.2 @65-67 mph.also raised my in town fron 11.1 average to 12.9 so far. Once the tuning on the methanol is finished I expect a little more.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I had a guy come in today that has an 08 6.4. He inform me he was getting around 18-19 hwy.:dunno:
Pretty darn good in my book.
I'm a little jealous of y'all.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Finally someone telling te truth about the mileage! Good job by the way. :thumb:It is a bummer having to baby it so much to get mileage from it but it can be done. I have Spartan 150 dpf delete tune, Edge Juice, Gibson exhaust and Snow performance methanol injection and have a best of 21.2 @65-67 mph.also raised my in town fron 11.1 average to 12.9 so far. Once the tuning on the methanol is finished I expect a little more.
Sounds like your saying everyone else is lying.:hehe:

It does not even matter to me what the mileage is. :wink[3]:

I needed the truck so I bought it. :thumb:

It gets anywhere from 0 to 24 mpg.:dunno:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Still not impressed with the mileage out of mine at 21,000 miles. Its broke in by now for sure. 9 to 10 pulling 12k on the flats. 8 in the hills. Its a good thing diesels cheap:hehe: I only spent 2k this week in fuel and 65% was in my ford. I like the truck though!
4.10's are killing you. Once you are on the freeway, especially in the flats rpm is the only thing that is gonna help you. If you are only towing 12,000 lbs You should get 3.73's . my opinion anyway.... I towed with 3.73's and about 12,000 lbs for a few years and it was perfect. When I towed the same exact load with my dually and 4.10's it towed fine but mileage went down the shoot.

I am an F-450 know with the 4.30's and its 2WD with a manual trans. I see 12.5 mixed empty and 14.5 strictly highway empty. I get 9.5 loaded with 19,500 lbs no matter where I drive it. I live in San Diego, it doesent have any flat ground :rofl: I am definately glad I dont have 4.88's an auto and 4X4 :hehe:

Oh and byt the way... If you really spent 2G last week on fuel. you should seriously consider getting a gear vendor. Its about 3500 installed but It will pay for itself quick if you drive that many miles. It will help major when unloaded or loaded light.

·
Registered
71 Posts
4.10's are killing you. Once you are on the freeway, especially in the flats rpm is the only thing that is gonna help you. If you are only towing 12,000 lbs You should get 3.73's . my opinion anyway.... I towed with 3.73's and about 12,000 lbs for a few years and it was perfect. When I towed the same exact load with my dually and 4.10's it towed fine but mileage went down the shoot.

I am an F-450 know with the 4.30's and its 2WD with a manual trans. I see 12.5 mixed empty and 14.5 strictly highway empty. I get 9.5 loaded with 19,500 lbs no matter where I drive it. I live in San Diego, it doesent have any flat ground :rofl: I am definately glad I dont have 4.88's an auto and 4X4 :hehe:

Oh and byt the way... If you really spent 2G last week on fuel. you should seriously consider getting a gear vendor. Its about 3500 installed but It will pay for itself quick if you drive that many miles. It will help major when unloaded or loaded light.
I was just giving an example on a light load. I normally have about 18 to 20k behind it with some wind drag. This truck always has a load behind it, its what I do for a living. A gear vendor over drive will do nothing for me. If I got 9.5 I wouldn't be happy my dodge with a 6.7 gets 12 mpg with 12k behind it. To those of you that are 9 to 10 mpg I'm jealous. Yes, I really spent 2k in fuel last week between my two hotshot trucks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
9.5 is awesome when I am towing just under 20,000 lbs and there isnt a flat piece of ground around me dont you think? there is a big difference in 12000 and 20000.....

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think your doing great for mileage for the 6.4. My truck gets about 7 with that kind of weight, but it is an auto. Dodge gets a little over 10 with 24k behind her.I would be happy if I got 9.5 with 20k behind my Ford. Maybe it will get better with time haven't had it long. Only has 22,000 on the ODO.

·
Registered
50 Posts
10-4 on that... I only have 5500 on mine:woot:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts