Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help. My 2006 F250 6.0L has started to get less MPG lately. I checked the air filter it appeared good. I changed both my fuel filters. After that the MPG dropped even more. It dropped by 3. Can anyone help?

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Do you have a monitor / gauges in the truck?
Any smoke or loss of power?
What boost levels are you seeing?

After filters are checked, a 3 mpg difference could be a number of mechanical/electrical issues. We'll need some more information.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no monitors, no smoke or power loss, and not really sure what you mean by boost levels. Im pretty new to having a diesel so im not really sure what im doing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No change in starts, no smoke at all unless i really get on it and its barely any and it black. Power and turbo seem to be the same.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Has it been to the dealership recently?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same problem, my truck smokes a tiny tiny bit when i start it up and its greyish, then when its warm and driving around it doesn't smoke at all

·
Registered
325 Posts
When the truck is cool have a buddy fire it up. Be under the truck and take your hand and run it around the up pipe. Dont put your hand on it, just around it. See if you feel any air hitting your hand. If you do you have a crack in the up pipe. Some whistle and some just lose a decent amount of MPGS

If you dont want to use your hand get a stethescope from vatozone for 10 bucks and you will hear it if it does.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
For an exhaust leak...

An extendable mirror also helps to see the hard places for the black smoke build up.

If you are going to stick your hand back there, do it fast.
AND to keep the unneeded air turbulence down, block the radiator with something(cardboard), this will give you a better chance of felling the exhaust air, not the eng fan air.

You can also clean off the engine and exhaust pipes really well, then give it a weeks worth of driving, or more, and check for black build up on the exhaust pipes. Purple Power has always done a good job of cleaning for me.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hell, my truck runs great and on 35s I cant get over 10.5 or so in town!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well guys I took it to a mechanic, he said he had to clean the intake because it was filthy. Changed the fuel filters to Ford filters. I would advise not to buy off brand fuel filters. Also cleaned erg valves (whatever those are), and replaced the fuel pressure regulator. After all that it does seem to be running much better. My MPG's have gone back up. He did find that the filter cap under the driver side was not screwed on all the way and that the filter in there was actually shorter than the Ford one that is suppose to be in there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts