Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EngOk i installed the diy filter set up with AFE filter and a diamond eye 4" turbo back exhaust with muffler. My mpg seems to have gotten better with no load, but when towing they seen to have gone down? Does anyone have any advice is this normal? It didn't go down much but did decline. The load is only like 5000 # am i doing something wrong?

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
doesn't add up. maybe you are more rough w/ the throttle pedal now w/ the new exhaust and intake.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured i would get a 2 mpg better and i did with no load. Not sure what the deal is. When it changes gears i really hear the turbo sound like it spools down, i am new to diesels. I can Getty around 20 mpg unloaded and like 9.5 mpg with my boat aground 5000 # load? I was hoping for like 13 or 14 mpg towing.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
I figured i would get a 2 mpg better and i did with no load. Not sure what the deal is. When it changes gears i really hear the turbo sound like it spools down, i am new to diesels. I can Getty around 20 mpg unloaded and like 9.5 mpg with my boat aground 5000 # load? I was hoping for like 13 or 14 mpg towing.
9.5mpg while towing 5,000lbs? My LIFTED obs w/ 35's gets 14-15mpg towing a 5,000lb load... 18-22mpg unloaded.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am only running 285s

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Right. Something is up. You should be getting better mileage.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I just did the Bb mod under the fpr and my mpgs went up from 13.8 around town to 15.8 that's on the trucks overhead display

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Don't go by the overhead display, it's not accurate.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is the bp mod? And does anyone have a clue to why my mileage is low towing?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Don't go by the overhead display, it's not accurate.
I figured that comment would spark a debate but my truck is only off about 1 mpg from the overhead and hand calculating I just hadn't hand calculated yet but from 13.8 to 15.8 is a noticeable differnce

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
The Bb mod is where you put a Bb under the fuel pressure regulator spring on the side of the fuel bowl it ups the fuel pressure and it helped my truck by 2 mpg better. I have a DIY intake and 4 inch turbo back and a old hypertec programmer. I also removed the restrictions in the filter housing

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Who else has done the bb mod ? Is it safe, are there any down sides?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I tried to do the BB mod but I could not get the cap to bolt back on with the BB in. I would put the BB in then the spring and it is like the spring bottoms out. did you have a problem bolting the cap on??

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I didn't have a problem but I did have a problem with leaks I ordered a fuel bowl o ring kit from diesel o rings to rebuild my bowl

·
Registered
320 Posts
so the cap pushed right on flush and bolted up with little effort? I could not push it flat and did not want to force it and brake the new one I had to get.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Mine went on with little effort but..., I forgot to mention I took apart a spare 1/2 inch drive craftsman ratchet I had and used the bb out of that sorry about mentioning that. The ratchet ball bearing is a lil smaller than a bb

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
No sure don't I Just know it was out of a craftsman 1/2 inch drive ratchet
I had a regular bb and it took off across the driveway couldn't find it and all I could think of was inside one of my ratchets

1 - 20 of 30 Posts