Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any of you guys running 285 BFG's on the OEM wheels... have you had any MPG loss? They weigh in at +4 LBS over stock AT/S's. Figured I'd ask before, with the price those things are going for. Those tires are 2x the OEM price tag. I'm debating running stock tires and getting a Detroit locker for the rear. that way I get supurb traction and don't sacrafise mileage any. Or run the BFG's and keep the stock LSD.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have two buddies that claim they lost almost 100 miles per tank with BFG's. Seemed kinda drastic to me so I called a dealer buddy and he said he had heard of worse fuel milage with them but couldn't rattle off any numbers. He did say due to there tread pattern they did have a high rolling resistance.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Comments like that and $5 diesel make me want to put OEM or Michelin LTX's on, or better yet a SRA. But I really don't want to buy tires from a company (goodyear) who feels the need to do business with Iran. Seems like I'll end up with more traction and money in the long run if I do a OEM type tires and a Detroit locker. I really miss my Detroit!!! and when buzzing down the road... good mileage, cheap tires, and off-road probly better than a LSD and BFG's sucking gas on the hwy. Heck the money in the long run would most likely pay for the locker.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Has anyone found anywhere where someone has actually tested different brands and documented the effects on fuel milliage?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I ran 285 BF All Terrains for a few months. I didn't see any drop in mileage compared to stock. If anything my highway mileage went up because of the drop in RPM's. That's actually one of the mods Diesel World recommended on "Project MPG". Gets you closer to the torque peak. As for brand comparison, I've never seen any real changes due to switching brands. I've run BF's, Goodyear ATS, Toyo Open Country's, and now I have a set of Cooper Discovery's (thet were cheap :dunno:).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts