Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Lariat had one, do the XLT's have them? I test drove an 05 Lariat today and it was above the odometer.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
they have them but dont rely on them as they are inaccurate as hell especially if yuo run bigger tires. just do it the old fashioned way.gal/miles

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they have them but dont rely on them as they are inaccurate as hell especially if yuo run bigger tires. just do it the old fashioned way.gal/miles
Where they do work well is to give you an idea on what kinda MPG's you are getting at certain speeds. Not as an overall average....

·
Registered
231 Posts
My 04 KR has one and its way off. I am runing larger than stock tires. And it seems to be stuck in the high 13's low14's. And with every xx.1, xx.2 exc. seems to correlate to 1 real hand calculated mpg. when I'm at 14.3 on the comp. I'm running 16mpg. Kind of od but o'well.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
My 04 KR has one and its way off. I am runing larger than stock tires. And it seems to be stuck in the high 13's low14's. And with every xx.1, xx.2 exc. seems to correlate to 1 real hand calculated mpg. when I'm at 14.3 on the comp. I'm running 16mpg. Kind of od but o'well.
they can be recalibrated for diferent tire sizes i have been told.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
they can be recalibrated for diferent tire sizes i have been told.
i recalibrated mine with the pda but it doesnt affect the factory gauges the speedo is off 2-4 mph it just tells you on the mph parameter on the pda itself. so im not sure you might be able to take it to ford but i dont think that would be worth the trouble..

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
i recalibrated mine with the pda but it doesnt affect the factory gauges the speedo is off 2-4 mph it just tells you on the mph parameter on the pda itself. so im not sure you might be able to take it to ford but i dont think that would be worth the trouble..
if you recaled i would have thought everything would be adjusted. Humm...sounds like a question for Ford

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
The recal on a tuner is strictly for tranny shift points. Ford will usually reset the speedo for free if you know your service writer. Or most truck/offroad shops have a box to do it for pretty cheap. Luckily, my built in meter is usually within .5mpg of my hand calculations.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
if you recaled i would have thought everything would be adjusted. Humm...sounds like a question for Ford
???? possibly im not sure i now the pda displays the correct speed becasue i also have a gps unit in my truck and the pda speed is the same as the gps so i know that one is right its just the factory speedo is still off but im not really that worried about it. im sure it would be right on if i was to take it in and get it recalibrated by ford but its not that big of a deal to me. i dont think even back when my truck was stock the MPG indicator was on the money by any means

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
The recal on a tuner is strictly for tranny shift points. Ford will usually reset the speedo for free if you know your service writer. Or most truck/offroad shops have a box to do it for pretty cheap. Luckily, my built in meter is usually within .5mpg of my hand calculations.
thats cool, the only thing i have heard about fords mpg unit it is on all the time whether you are driving or just sitting there at a stop sign. i have heard the GM and DODGE units stop when yuo stop and idle and then once your up and running again they will kick back on???

·
Registered
551 Posts
The idiot meter in my truck seems to run pretty close. Though I'm interested in the d-max meter now. If they aren't counting fuel consumed at idle that would explain alot about the extra mpg's my buddies d-max seems to get around town.

:icon_ford:

·
Registered
12 Posts
What causes the meter to recalculate or change?

I know that if I want to reset the device, it can be done manually. It then does some type of instantaneous calculation and displays the current MPG. If you reset while accelerating, it's a low number. If you reset while coasting, it's a high number.

Does anyone know if the device actually keeps some type of accumulation and becomes more accurate as miles go by?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
The number it shows is an average of recorded mileage at intervals. It just keeps averaging from the numbers it gets.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
mine seems to update every 5 seconds or so.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts