Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, i made the jump from Spartan to a H and S mini today :woot:. Really like the idea of custom trans tuning being just a download away. Running the HOT D*** 300 with the S1L shift tune and love it. Cant wait to get my KEM tunes in tomo and see what all the rave is about. I know Kem is considered one of the best, but i honestly dont see how it can get any better than this!

I got everything from Ben at Rudy's. the service was excellent and i highly recommend them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Man just exactly what I needed to hear. I keep hearing that spartan really is the best but if someone that had it decided to switch that means something. Without getting personal why did you switch?

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
you running KEM tunes isn't going to be much of a difference than running spartan tunes. Mike used to write tunes with spartan. He's tweaked a little here and there but over all there the same tunes. But glad you are happy with your purchases.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Without getting personal why did you switch?
I too would like to know this. I think it may have something to do with shift on the fly settings. My local shop says they're currently selling more H&S than Spartan tuners to the 6.4 crowd for quite awhile now. Never really got an answer from them as to why either.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was having issues with my 275 tune. The 275 tune wouldn't lock the tc till 80+ under moderate to heavy throttle. Tried re-learn, fresh fluid, suncoast direct solenoid, but still no dice. Have been promised an up-date to fix it for awhile but never saw it. I'm not trying to down Spartan at all, but I just couldn't wait around while they came up with a fix. I wanted my tc to lockup when I feel it's supposed to and h and s delivered. While I was at it I got the kem tunes to 345. They should be in tomo, but I'm so happy with the hot d*** and S1L shifTing that I really couldn't ask for anything better.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
you running KEM tunes isn't going to be much of a difference than running spartan tunes. Mike used to write tunes with spartan. He's tweaked a little here and there but over all there the same tunes. But glad you are happy with your purchases.
I've heard that before, but the 275 shifted like a midget trying to work a clutch with a broom stick. I know it's a race tune and its supposed to do that, but I wanted a big tune that wasn't so violent but still had early lockup.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Man just exactly what I needed to hear. I keep hearing that spartan really is the best but if someone that had it decided to switch that means something. Without getting personal why did you switch?
Yeah I wondered myself, but after doing the research I got the Spartan because it's harder for a Tech to see it and Spartan swears by their trans code. They said you could run into problems with "trans relearn-onthefly". :dunno: I LOVE this tuner and code and really dont see the big deal about the onthefly stuff. But to each his own. I dont think you could go wrong with either really. :thumb:

Dom

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
How hard was it to switch over? Did you just return to stock with the Dashdaq, and plug in the H&S and retune?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yeah I wondered myself, but after doing the research I got the Spartan because it's harder for a Tech to see it and Spartan swears by their trans code. They said you could run into problems with "trans relearn-onthefly". :dunno: I LOVE this tuner and code and really dont see the big deal about the onthefly stuff. But to each his own. I dont think you could go wrong with either really. :thumb:

Dom
I also read that all the time. A friend of a friend of mine is a tech at a local dealership and he told me if they are lookin, they will find it.
I also really liked my Spartan, but the lockup issue kinda ran me off:dunno:

The only time the shift on the fly would hurt the trans is if i ran around on mild or stock power level and then jumped to the 300 and romped on it without a re-learn, which i wont do, EVER.

·
Buckeye Power Strokes
365 Posts
I recently went from Sct to h&s
Best choice I've ever made!!!!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
185 Posts
I also read that all the time. A friend of a friend of mine is a tech at a local dealership and he told me if they are lookin, they will find it.
I also really liked my Spartan, but the lockup issue kinda ran me off:dunno:

The only time the shift on the fly would hurt the trans is if i ran around on mild or stock power level and then jumped to the 300 and romped on it without a re-learn, which i wont do, EVER.
This is a common misconception. You can switch between any power level you wish, and not have a problem. NO RELEARN IS NECESSARY. Other companies may bash the shift on the fly, but it is only because they don't understand it, and don't offer it. We have the track record and customer base to back it up, shift on the fly flat out works.

-H&S

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
That may be one of the answers you were looking for as to why your local shop is selling more and more H & S products alberta ease of use and excellent customer support

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
This is a common misconception. You can switch between any power level you wish, and not have a problem. NO RELEARN IS NECESSARY. Other companies may bash the shift on the fly, but it is only because they don't understand it, and don't offer it. We have the track record and customer base to back it up, shift on the fly flat out works.

-H&S
Thanks for clearing that up. I just can't say enough about the tuning man. Smooth, consistent shifts and power to boot.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been running the hot damn 300 for about 20000 miles now and it still puts a smile on my face. I dont think you'll regret switching.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've been running the hot damn 300 for about 20000 miles now and it still puts a smile on my face. I dont think you'll regret switching.
Have you been running on the Hot power for that long? Or just one of the lower settings?

·
Registered
99 Posts
That is gret that the shift on the fly works well with the stock tunes, but does it work with the cutom tunes from KEM? I thought that was a no, but I am looking to switch from the spartan and go with the Black Maxx.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Have you been running on the Hot power for that long? Or just one of the lower settings?
I turn it down to mild when i pull the dump trailer, but other than that its been on hot the whole time. I tow my boat with it on hot and the egts dont get much higher then when im empty.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
I was having issues with my 275 tune. The 275 tune wouldn't lock the tc till 80+ under moderate to heavy throttle. Tried re-learn, fresh fluid, suncoast direct solenoid, but still no dice. Have been promised an up-date to fix it for awhile but never saw it. I'm not trying to down Spartan at all, but I just couldn't wait around while they came up with a fix. I wanted my tc to lockup when I feel it's supposed to and h and s delivered.
Did you ever update to the latest set of tuning files that we released back in May with the new early lock and smoother shifting?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts