Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone run motorcraft 5w40 synthetic oil,ans if so is it good or bad,i use rotella right now,but for alot cheaper i could get the motorcraft synthetic,thanx sheldon.

·
Registered
659 Posts
syn is great oil for sure.that is if you can afford it in a diesel.that is all i will put in my wife car but it only takes 4 qts.i have been using rotella for years and totally love it.when you pull my dipstick at 2 or 3 thousand miles it is still clean.as long as you keep up on changes you do not need syn oil in a diesel.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx for the reply,the reason i ask is because i spend around 16 dollars for 5 quarts of rotella,and i can get 5 of the motorcraft synthetic for around 11 dollars,im just not sure if its good oil or not,thanx sheldon.

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
WHere are you buying the 5-40 MC syn oil at!!!!!!!????? NObody around me has it. One stealership wanted $38/5qt jug. He was on crack.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
walmart for 11 dollars a 5 quart jug.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
whoa, wait a minute.. 5w-40 synthetic Motorcraft Diesel oil, 5qt jug at walmart for $11? Where in gods name do you live? That's fantastic.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Motorcraft 5w40 synthetic diesel is a great oil to use. Ford recommends it and it has been thoroughly tested by Ford. Amsoil is widely used and it is also a GREAT oil, but it is EXPENSIVE and can be costly changing Amsoil synthetic every 7500 miles at $170 just for the oil.

Using Motorcraft, Mobil 1 or Rotella T seems to be viable options to the Amsoil and still gives excellent protection over standard non-synthic 15w40 diesel oil.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Are you sure that wasn't for the non synthetic Motorcraft diesel oil? That's about what it costs normally. It's very likely they just stocked it in the wrong place at Wally World.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
exactly. $11/5qts 15-40 Dino @ wally. I called up some local dealers for the motorcraft 5-40syn. $40/5qts. Cheapest syn I've seenis Rotella 5-40 at wally for $20/4qts.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I run regular motorcraft and change it every 3k, oil is very important in our diesels with the HEUI injection, its best to keep it clean and change it often.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Motorcraft 5w40 synthetic diesel is a great oil to use. Ford recommends it and it has been thoroughly tested by Ford. Amsoil is widely used and it is also a GREAT oil, but it is EXPENSIVE and can be costly changing Amsoil synthetic every 7500 miles at $170 just for the oil.

Using Motorcraft, Mobil 1 or Rotella T seems to be viable options to the Amsoil and still gives excellent protection over standard non-synthic 15w40 diesel oil.

All the INDEPENDANT tests I've seen rate Mobil 1 BETTER than Amsoil, but NONE should go that long. Even the Mobil shears down to a 30wt VERY quickly in a 6.0.

Granny truck runs 15w40 motorcraft summer and winter with 4K oil changes. The injectors let me know when it's time, since they get as cranky as an old woman when the oil gets nasty. :hehe:

·
Registered
953 Posts
Shell Rotella T 5w40 synthetic is simply the best protection for the cheapest price. Motorcrfact 5w40 diesel synthetic is $40/gallon, the Mobil 1 turbo diesel syn is $7/quart, and Amsoil is $160/15quarts and this with a preferred cust discount.

At $21/a gallon the Shell Rotella T 5w40 synthetic simply just seems to be the best deal:thumb:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I agree. I'm running either 15-40 MC, or 5-40 Syn Rotella if someday down the road I need to.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
A friend of mine works at Walmart. I had him do an inventory check. Walmart does not stock a full synthetic Motorcraft diesel oil anywhere in the country. What they have is a Motorcraft semi-synthetic 5w/40, and it's the exact price of the one mentioned in this thread. It is possible for a store to special order something, but it was almost certainly semi-synthetic he was looking at. I will say that's a pretty good price even for semi, though.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Really, Semi syn 5-40 CJ4/SM Motorcraft oil? At walmart for that price.

·
Registered
953 Posts
The full synthetic 5w40 MC oil is readily available at Ford dealerships or Autozone...

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Autozone huh... I've only found the dino 15-40 at parts houses around me. I'll have to look at autozone.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Anyone running the 5w-40 semi-synthetic motorcraft oil?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts