Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been using WIX from NAPA, but this time I bought a Motorcraft FL-1995 oil filter for my 7.3 and was wondering why the gasket appears beveled. It looks like it might push down to flat once screwed on but this makes me nervous.

The WIX and FRAM I have used before have always been flat (and every other oil filter I have ever used for that matter).

I checked a couple more Motorcraft oil filters and even looked at a different store and they all have the beveled gasket.:dunno:

·
Registered
601 Posts
puralator is also beveled. dont know why but they work fine. o ya mobil1 i believe is also beveled

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Why would that make you nervous?

·
Premium Member
14,491 Posts
The gasket needs to be put on a specific way, but for the life of me I can't remember which way right this second.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, the beveled makes me nervous because it seems like a flat gasket would seal better due to more surface area contact and a flat gasket is what I have normally seen on oil filters.

Just to clarify, I am talking engine oil filter here, not fuel filter which always has had the beveled gasket.

Maybe the beveled gasket pushes further down in the groove and is flat once installed.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
If it makes you feel any better bob, I never had any trouble with the seal on my fuel filter until they switched to that style.

·
Registered
407 Posts
If you look at other seals (axle seals, crankshaft seals etc) you'll see that they too have beveled lip facing in. The reason for this is that when pressure is applied the beveled lip pushs up against the steel surface it rides on. More pressure = more push on sealing lip. If the filter is tight then there's no way the beveled lip can do anything but make a tighter seal. :icon_ford:
GOD bless America!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts