Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For reference, I have a 2005 F350 with 96k miles on it. I run Erics Race Tune with a SCT tuner. 4" exhaust. K&N Intake. I just got the FICM replaced by Ford.

Noise was being made before and after FICM replaced.
Noise also made with or without tune.

About 2 weeks ago, the truck started to make a funny noise, but it wasnt consistant. What it sounds like a a Whine. It would do it randomly, from a start all the way up to cruising speed. The noise is consistant with RPMs. The higher the RPMs the higher the noise.

Lately it is more and more consistant.

The crazy part is I found a way to make it go away, but I dont even know what it is. All I do is, once I hear it, I throw it in neutral, slam the gas to get the RPMs up over 2500 and let off. There is no more whine / noise anymore.

I have done a little research on the .org and thought it might be the degas bottle cap, or the EGR valve (needs cleaning). Not sure on either one of those.

Also, it has normal boost, but it seems like there is a lack of power when it is making this noise?

I also thought that it might be a fan belt (as that is what it almost sounds like, is a loud fan). I dont know how to check for a loose belt or anything else?

ANY IDEAS?? Please help!!:dunno:

I have an iphone and took some sound clips, but they are in .m4a format, and I dont think that I can attach them here.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Mine does the same exact thing, at first I thought it was the turbo, but it doesn't change when it shifts gears like the turbo does. I'm thinking maybe it is the degas cap, as I don't have the new updated one from Ford, but I could be wrong. So, needless to say, I'm subscribed.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I talked to a Ford Tech and sent him the audio file, he said that it is the EGR valve. He said that if it is crusty inside, its just the valve, but he said if its wet inside, that means the whole thing is bad. no fun. Looks like I get to pull apart the valve and hope for the best... and he said that the list on the part is like $130.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
I talked to a Ford Tech and sent him the audio file, he said that it is the EGR valve. He said that if it is crusty inside, its just the valve, but he said if its wet inside, that means the whole thing is bad. no fun. Looks like I get to pull apart the valve and hope for the best... and he said that the list on the part is like $130.
My EGR system is MIA. :doh:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
We'll see. Mine is going in the dealer pretty soon for various issues I am having, and I'm gonna add that to the list.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hopefully replacing the degas cap and the egr valve tonight. lets hope its one of those 2 items...

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
hopefully replacing the degas cap and the egr valve tonight. lets hope its one of those 2 items...
Let me know man, I'm thinking it might be the degas cap. Or atleast I'm hoping. :hehe:

Try the degas before the valve replacement and see if just that fixes the problem.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Did you figure it out?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not sure which one was the real fix. I put both on, and actually the sound was still there.

I recently took the truck to Ford, and I had the coolant flushed. When I replaced the degas cap, I noticed that there was no liquid in there. So after driving for a few miles, I went to the local store and filled up the coolant... no more sound...

Might want to check your coolant... =)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Since you both have autos, how many miles on your trans fluid? Could it be just slight debris causing a whine in the trans/TC.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
not sure which one was the real fix. I put both on, and actually the sound was still there.

I recently took the truck to Ford, and I had the coolant flushed. When I replaced the degas cap, I noticed that there was no liquid in there. So after driving for a few miles, I went to the local store and filled up the coolant... no more sound...

Might want to check your coolant... =)
She's got plenty of coolant, and she shouldn't be leaking coolant anyway, after the EGR ran away with my head bolts. :dunno:

Since you both have autos, how many miles on your trans fluid? Could it be just slight debris causing a whine in the trans/TC.
That is probably my deal, I've been about 60-80k without a fluid change, but she's going in to Ford next week to get the tranny flushed, as well as get everything checked on.

And I will also go ahead and get the new degas cap, just for kicks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She's got plenty of coolant, and she shouldn't be leaking coolant anyway, after the EGR ran away with my head bolts. :dunno:

That is probably my deal, I've been about 60-80k without a fluid change, but she's going in to Ford next week to get the tranny flushed, as well as get everything checked on.

And I will also go ahead and get the new degas cap, just for kicks.
Good luck my friend. I hope you find out what your noise is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts