Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help from all of you who have gauges. Here’s my dilemma. I am going to get a pillar set with four gauges including a pyrometer, Boost 0-30, and a full sweep trans temp. I would like to know everyone’s opinion as to what my fourth gauge should be. I like the quality of the Di-pricol gauges and that’s what I’m going to buy even though they are a bit more expensive. I like the idea of monitoring fuel pressure, but HPOP oil pressure may be good to keep an eye on also. I may later on add more gauges as I keep adding mods to the truck. Also if anyone has a four-gauge pillar on your truck or have gauges mounted at any other locations post some pics so I can check them out. I’m not sure if there are any good places to put gauges in the dash of an ‘05. I will be adding an SCT and an exhaust in the next three months so keep that in mind.

Thanks in advance. :thumb:
Mark

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts

I am in the same boat, bought the big three but trying to figure out what i want for the last one. and i know that some out here know. and there are soo many places to mount. i believe it is CSIPSD has 16 gauges in his truck

·
Registered
97 Posts
id say fuel pressure also. Have you already purchased the boost gauge? Probably might want to look at a 0-60 instead of the 0-30.

·
Registered
34 Posts
for some reason i would like to know if i have low oil pressure before low fuel pressure.

If the truck stops running due to fuel pressure i can fix it fairly easy compared to if it dies due to lack of oil pressure.But thats just me

·
Banned
1,781 Posts
That's not really the correct logic on a fuel pressure gauge for a 7.3/6.0. Fuel pressure is a decently alarming concern if something is not up to par (ie; stock fuel pump) with a hot tune, especially with the HEUI system.

·
Registered
34 Posts
sorry dave what is the correct logic?

I know in my car when the fuel pressure dives iam running out of fuel oil pressure dives the pans dry that the logic i use its been working for me.I didnt know fuel pressure was that more important than oil with a diesel.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fuel pressure seems to be the fourth most important, if not more important than trans temp or boost.
I agree Dave. It seems like that is what most people like to monitor. You are talking about the fuel pressure that comes from the cap of the filter bowl (6.0L) on top of the engine.

id say fuel pressure also. Have you already purchased the boost gauge? Probably might want to look at a 0-60 instead of the 0-30.
I haven't purchased them yet. I will go with the 0-60 boost gauge. I wasn't sure how much boost to expect. :woot:

for some reason i would like to know if i have low oil pressure before low fuel pressure.

If the truck stops running due to fuel pressure i can fix it fairly easy compared to if it dies due to lack of oil pressure.But thats just me
Bob, I am like you. I have always liked to see oil pressure. I will probably put one on in the future. :nod:

I know that fuel pressure is very important. I don't want to burn up an injector or worse. I think I will get the fuel pressure with the isolater as my fourth gauge.

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in so far. If anyone else has any opinions or pics I would like to check them out.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I'd say that oil pressure is very important as well as fuel press, however, that being said at least their is a stock "idiot" gauge (i.e. light) for oil pressure, I know its not the most accurate. But there is nothing to monitor fuel press stock. I lost an injector due to not knowing what my fuel pressure was. I'd vote fuel pressure gauge with oil presssure next after that,, my .02

·
Banned
1,781 Posts
sorry dave what is the correct logic?
Fuel pressure is a decently alarming concern if something is not up to par (ie; stock fuel pump) with a hot tune, especially with the HEUI system.
Missing pieces and further explanation can be found by searching.

I agree oil pressure isn't a bad idea. The factory gauge is an on/off dummy gauge as mentioned, but it still works better than the factory trans temp gauge.

7.3/6.0 PSD, if there isn't enough oil supply to the HPOP it just wont run, or it will run very badly.

·
Banned
0 Posts
I would rather see fuel pressure than HPOP pressure. Low fuel pressure on HEUI injectors is death to them. Your factory engine oil pressure gauge is sufficient unless you absolutely feel the need to see the exact pressure.

·
Registered
750 Posts
With these engines they will die and do no damage with no oil pressure, with low fuel pressure, your going to destroy injectors. Just my :twocents:

·
Banned
0 Posts
Exactly! If you lose oil pressure your injection system is going to crap out and shut the truck down.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to everyone for your opinions. The people here are what makes this site great. I will be ordering my gauges soon. I can't wait to get them put on.
Mark :icon_ford:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts