Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this might be my first post? Ive been lurking forever because they make you post so many times before you can post a pic of your truck. Thats a dumb arse rule if you ask me so dont ask me why they do that? Ill try anyway? Ive had this 2002 for a year now and has been an awesome truck! Ive been spending money on it but not because its been unreliable. I just put new tires all around, new batteries, Ball joints and steering gear box to tighten up the front end and she rides wonderful as she always has. Oh it had 280K miles when I bought it and about 320K now. I drive the heck out of it about 120 miles a day and the biggest bill is my petro bill as you all may know. It gets about 16mpg the way I drive it but I cant complain. My 74 f100 got about 13mpg but it was hardly stock.

It has aftermarket stainless exhaust , 6" lift to rid of them wheel wells, and a nice toolbox. Other than KN type air filter and exhaust its pretty much stock. If I knew more about chips id prolly do that. I have experience with SCT chipped Mustang Cobras but this diesel is new to me. I heard enough about the new trucks and for the cost this 7.3L was a no brainer for the price.

·
Premium Member
11,676 Posts
7.3L motors were not reliable. CPS mean anything to anyone?? Wasn't there an harness that needed to be replaced due to failures??
I'm sure there's NOT a 100% as delivered from the factory/dealer 7.3L out there still making it happen. Garage queens don't count. They ALL have been in for work or needed something replaced due to bad parts or design flaws.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I do feel like I have been seeing alot of issues and questions being asked lately for the 99-03, or 02 whatever that designation is, showing up on my lurkings here. While the 7.3 may or may not have needed the large issues addressed like a 6.0 the fact that you still have to carry spare parts because a CPS can fail or some other small piece doesn't make a vehicle "reliable". It just means it can be fixed easier. I honestly don't care one way or the other on this argument but I don't feel that that should be pointed out. I honestly have a bit of love for all of the Ford diesels, minus the 6.4. They all have the certain quirk or fascinating, to me at least, new feature that is interesting.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Which ever one’s not in the shop, with the heads off, a cam in the mechanics hands as he’s showing you the broken rods and asking someone for a calculator....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice looking truck.
I have an '01 7.3 4X4 Excursion with 273XXX. I love it, and have had many people offer me 12k more than I paid for it. Would not sell it for anything. My husband was pissed when he heard someone offered 20k for it. Said I should have taken it. Hahaha

·
Registered
5 Posts
7.3L motors were not reliable. CPS mean anything to anyone?? Wasn't there an harness that needed to be replaced due to failures??
I'm sure there's NOT a 100% as delivered from the factory/dealer 7.3L out there still making it happen. Garage queens don't count. They ALL have been in for work or needed something replaced due to bad parts or design flaws.
Hey just read this. Do you know a good resource for info on this? I'm looking at a "Garage Queen" for sale and want to know what I oughtta do right off the bat.

·
Premium Member
11,676 Posts
Hey just read this. Do you know a good resource for info on this? I'm looking at a "Garage Queen" for sale and want to know what I oughtta do right off the bat.
Craigslist is the single best source for garage queens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts