Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a 4” turboback on my ’07 psd. No cat, but there was an aFe muffler installed. Ever since then, I’ve been kicking myself for getting that muffler put in. So I’m considering cutting it out and replacing it with a straight pipe. I’m just wondering…what difference will I notice?
And don’t say “it’ll be louder” haha. I know that lol. What about the turbo whistle…will it increase when idling? When accelerating? What about the engine rumble…louder at idle? Louder during acceleration? Let me know! Thanks for your input! :)

·
Registered
501 Posts
if you want whistle, get an 03 turbo straight piped and prepare for lift off!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you want whistle, get an 03 turbo straight piped and prepare for lift off!
I know, that's what I've read. But if I'm gonna spend that kinda cash for a new turbo, I'm gonna wait...save up...then blow it on a MTW Stage 3, 190 injectors, new fuel system with RR, etc. Ya know? lol

Any way to get more whistle for the time being out of my 07 turbo? lol

·
Premium Member
10,835 Posts
Mild whistle from the '05-'07 turbos. The rumble is MUCH better about the 2200+ range and sounds great to me. Now I run a Pmax on a straight piped exhaust which has a great whistle and rumble as well.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mild whistle from the '05-'07 turbos. The rumble is MUCH better about the 2200+ range and sounds great to me. Now I run a Pmax on a straight piped exhaust which has a great whistle and rumble as well.
So what do you think will happen if I get that muffler taken out??

·
Premium Member
10,835 Posts
More of an air wooshing sound at idle (say hand dryer), tad more turbo sound when accelerating, on the pedal more rumble during the mid RPMs, HWY cruising won't really be too loud,....

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
I had a guy pass me with an 08 psd with out a muffler and it sounded like chit. I mean like a hair dryer about to die, no turbo whistle. Mine is an 04 and it sounds like a jet engine. If it was me I would straight pipe it and change turbo next. Mad werks can build you a bad a?! turbo. Check out you tube, search mad werks.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I had a guy pass me with an 08 psd with out a muffler and it sounded like chit. I mean like a hair dryer about to die, no turbo whistle. Mine is an 04 and it sounds like a jet engine. If it was me I would straight pipe it and change turbo next. Mad werks can build you a bad a?! turbo. Check out you tube, search mad werks.
yea you had a 6.4 pass you haha it dont matter what they sound like these things will move, i would much rather have a truck that is way more performnace capable then a little bit more noise. i agree you cant beat the sound of a 6.0 but the 6.0 wont keep up with a 6.4. so i take performance over sound anyday

·
Registered
84 Posts
The whistle is VERY noticeable in my straight piped 04 but I've got used to it and love it, my wife hates it though

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
yea you had a 6.4 pass you haha it dont matter what they sound like these things will move, i would much rather have a truck that is way more performnace capable then a little bit more noise. i agree you cant beat the sound of a 6.0 but the 6.0 wont keep up with a 6.4. so i take performance over sound anyday
:doh: Yeah I kind of ran into that one. We all know hands down the 6.4 is for performance. 7.3 for longevity, and 6.0 Is a cheap in the middle fix of the 2. I bought my 6.0 cheap. I'm not knocking the 6.4. Good luck with straight piping.

Either of the 3 trucks are great work horses.:ford:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it was me I would straight pipe it and change turbo next. Mad werks can build you a bad a?! turbo. Check out you tube, search mad werks.
Yeah I know about MTW lol. I'm just trying to see what I can get from my stock turbo for the time being.

If I decide to start getting over that 500hp mark and head up to 700hp, I'll be looking for a MTW stage 3, an AD150 w/ RR, and some Swamps 190's lol. Not to mention at that point I'll need to get a better tranny and probably an intercooler.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:doh: Yeah I kind of ran into that one. We all know hands down the 6.4 is for performance. 7.3 for longevity, and 6.0 Is a cheap in the middle fix of the 2. I bought my 6.0 cheap. I'm not knocking the 6.4
Emphasis on the price difference between the 6.0 and the 6.4. Holy shiii.. I've always loved the style of the 08-10's but the prices they go for...jeez. Got a great '07 6.0 instead.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I recently installed a 4” turboback on my ’07 psd. No cat, but there was an aFe muffler installed. Ever since then, I’ve been kicking myself for getting that muffler put in. So I’m considering cutting it out and replacing it with a straight pipe. I’m just wondering…what difference will I notice?
And don’t say “it’ll be louder” haha. I know that lol. What about the turbo whistle…will it increase when idling? When accelerating? What about the engine rumble…louder at idle? Louder during acceleration? Let me know! Thanks for your input! :)
A very noticable sound increase throughout the entire rpm band. Jet engine sound at idle with some rumble Occasionally mid range you'll get "hackle" if you have a traditional exit tailpipe. Depending on the tune your using. I have tons of tunes that sound much different. Some of them sound horrible and produce drone some sound amazing. My truck is straight piped and single stacked and sounds better than it did with a tailpipe. Call me crazy but from personal exp (I'm on my fourth super duty) I think the length of your truck when using a tailpipe exit is a big factor. Reg cab will sound better than 4door longbed. Do you have neighbors? lol.

Keep up with who's 6.4? Yours? :wink[3]:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A very noticable sound increase throughout the entire rpm band. Jet engine sound at idle with some rumble Occasionally mid range you'll get "hackle" if you have a traditional exit tailpipe. Depending on the tune your using. I have tons of tunes that sound much different. Some of them sound horrible and produce drone some sound amazing. My truck is straight piped and single stacked and sounds better than it did with a tailpipe. Call me crazy but from personal exp (I'm on my fourth super duty) I think the length of your truck when using a tailpipe exit is a big factor. Reg cab will sound better than 4door longbed. Do you have neighbors? lol
Haha yes I have neighbours. But to be honest, they suck. And I don't like any of them at all. The one across the street reported our property for an unmowed front lawn when I was away for 3 straight weeks for work, and my gf was working in the arctic. So he can pretty much go shove it lol.

I'd love to make the whistle louder. Maybe I'll get the shop that installed it to take the muffler out lol. It's a crew cab short box, by the way.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
A very noticable sound increase throughout the entire rpm band. Jet engine sound at idle with some rumble Occasionally mid range you'll get "hackle" if you have a traditional exit tailpipe. Depending on the tune your using. I have tons of tunes that sound much different. Some of them sound horrible and produce drone some sound amazing. My truck is straight piped and single stacked and sounds better than it did with a tailpipe. Call me crazy but from personal exp (I'm on my fourth super duty) I think the length of your truck when using a tailpipe exit is a big factor. Reg cab will sound better than 4door longbed. Do you have neighbors? lol.

Keep up with who's 6.4? Yours? :wink[3]:
unless you have a lot done to your 6.0, which you def could by looking at your sig. then your not going to keep up with a tuned 6.4. and with just a few mods i could be well over the 600hp mark.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
:doh: Yeah I kind of ran into that one. We all know hands down the 6.4 is for performance. 7.3 for longevity, and 6.0 Is a cheap in the middle fix of the 2. I bought my 6.0 cheap. I'm not knocking the 6.4. Good luck with straight piping.

Either of the 3 trucks are great work horses.:ford:
not knocking either 3 trucks, there all great i just like the power of the 6.4 but def miss the sound of a 6.0

1 - 16 of 16 Posts