Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I wonder how the mechanic could tell that the valve is stuck open? I understand that the command to close the IPR makes no difference, but that could mean that a large leak exists at the HPOP. There is no feedback as to the actual position.

Well anyway, removing the IPR and bench testing it can answer that question. Keep us informed.
he said it was reading 100% or something i guess and he said if he had the truck in his shop that would be the first thing he would check. he said this to my dad "tomorrow when you get it running it will run like piss" so judging by that sentence hes pretty sure were on the right track and that it will run tomorrow after that ipr is changed out. he was an older guy like 70s but he knew his stuff i heard him over speaker one day and he gets what hes saying so im confident that him saying ipr will get it. which makes sense to me. will keep updated and will post what ever happens tomorrow.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,113 Posts
Again - the IPR % duty cycle value is ONLY a commanded value from the PCM. It has nothing to do with what position the valve is actually in. There is no position monitor on the valve, and therefore there is no feedback as to the valve's actual position.

The maximum duty cycle value ONLY means that the desired pressure in the high pressure oil system is not being reached and the PCM keeps telling the IPR valve to close more-and-more (until the command is at its maximum). This situation can happen due to many failures ..... a failed HPOP is one of them.

Typically, a failed-open IPR valve will still allow SOME pressure to be developed. If your ICP readings are accurate, you say the there is NO PRESSURE being developed. That is what I find the most interesting.

Not arguing, we are just trying to educate you ...

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Strato_54,

You're in for a lot of money wasting if you are trying to diagnose this at the surface and not following the diagnostics/advice from the two gentlemen helping you out.

It definitely sounds like you have a few issues possibly going on and your truck will not run if you don't rule out EVERYTHING starting from the basics as detailed in the advice given.

ASSUMING certain parameters/components are functioning because "they should be fine" is not the way you're going to get your truck running.

You may get lucky and parts change until it runs but this engine will empty your pockets and patience faster than you think.

·
5,113 Posts
he said it was reading 100% or something i guess and he said if he had the truck in his shop that would be the first thing he would check. he said this to my dad "tomorrow when you get it running it will run like piss" so judging by that sentence hes pretty sure were on the right track and that it will run tomorrow after that ipr is changed out. he was an older guy like 70s but he knew his stuff i heard him over speaker one day and he gets what hes saying so im confident that him saying ipr will get it. which makes sense to me. will keep updated and will post what ever happens tomorrow.
@Strato_54 -
Status update? Did the IPR completely solve things?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
@Strato_54 -
Status update? Did the IPR completely solve things?
ipr was clean and the brand new one did not change anything but did throw a code now. its a p2283 i think or something like that but it is saying something aloing the lines of ipr too high. there is still no smoke and no smell of a strong diesel odor form the exhaust. it is creating vacuum from the intake and push out exhaust air so i would assume there would be a smell of some sort. none the less what that tells me is theres no fuel. so now either the ipr is not working, a harness wire is pinched or the HPOP is bad. i really have a hard time believe this motor is bad. bottom end at least. as for it not running im guessing no fuel. we replaced the top fuel filter but not the one at the pump which we have but were too lazy to do so maybe that could be it. i have no idea but hey it came with the top filter in the box so might as well see. and as for throwing money at it thats all we can do. yes we have some people that know some things about it and what not and i strongly appreciate all of the people who have responded to this forum in an attempt to help out but at the same time we get a lead to what we are super sure of that is causing this as this is our company truck and we need it. so for throwing money at it we just need it back. weve had 2 people say they dont want to do the work and 1 person that cant even quote on it for how much it will cost to do. but he might just end up taking it but as of now were still throwing what we got at it. tomorrow we might go up to the shop change that lower fuel filter maybe its dropping furl pressure. im a welder and this truck is in a welding shop with everything to work on it mechanically just not to diagnose it. so what ever info is given we have to make do with what we got as if it was some guy doing it in his home garage.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Strato_54,

You're in for a lot of money wasting if you are trying to diagnose this at the surface and not following the diagnostics/advice from the two gentlemen helping you out.

It definitely sounds like you have a few issues possibly going on and your truck will not run if you don't rule out EVERYTHING starting from the basics as detailed in the advice given.

ASSUMING certain parameters/components are functioning because "they should be fine" is not the way you're going to get your truck running.

You may get lucky and parts change until it runs but this engine will empty your pockets and patience faster than you think.
i do strongly appreciate the advice given to me but at the same time i cant scan anything other then codes. im a welder not a mechanic. we took on this job hoping it would be as simple as it shouldve been. we studded the truck and replaced the head gasket and did the heads ourselves since were capable of doing that no problem. but as for the no start we cant scan anything or force an injector to pulse and what not. so best i guess i can do is take what we have on this forum and then if we try it and it doesnt work just jump to the next thing. the truck is at our shop a little ways away so standing there twiddling our thumbs waiting for an answer isnt to handy for us its just ok we think its this and the symptoms point to this i guess its that. its been almost a month and a half since it blew and went to our shop so the patience fire is dwindling but we are determined to not accept defeat. now that i see it we really wouldnt have gotten this far even with out the help of everyone who replied.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
sorry for the late reply got annoyed with the truck and needed a break from it for a bit. did nothing to it today but will maybe try tomorrow depending on what info is given. quick summery:

Creating vacuum: Yes
Pushing exhaust: Yes
Smell of diesel or smoke: No
IPR status: throws p2283? code on scanner SCT X3 3015
Brand new ford IPR: Yes
New icp: Yes
New temp sensor: Yes
Builds base oil: Yes
Wants to fire on ether: Yes (never been ethered and i know its bad but might as well try)
keeps running after ether: No
Stand pipes: Both replaced
All injectors buzzing: Yes (was tested by the older guy one by one)
Glow plugs: Good
Compresion: dont know if leaks have no kit access
Fresh batteries: 1 week old now 850CCA 1040CA ish

i just realized i havnt done an icp pressure test with the new ipr so tomorrow i will try and test it by doing that ipr jump truck. So to comfirm, jump the yellow and red strip pcm wire to ground to open and turn key on to close?

·
5,113 Posts
i do strongly appreciate the advice given to me but at the same time i cant scan anything other then codes. im a welder not a mechanic. we took on this job hoping it would be as simple as it shouldve been. we studded the truck and replaced the head gasket and did the heads ourselves since were capable of doing that no problem. but as for the no start we cant scan anything or force an injector to pulse and what not. so best i guess i can do is take what we have on this forum and then if we try it and it doesnt work just jump to the next thing. the truck is at our shop a little ways away so standing there twiddling our thumbs waiting for an answer isnt to handy for us its just ok we think its this and the symptoms point to this i guess its that. its been almost a month and a half since it blew and went to our shop so the patience fire is dwindling but we are determined to not accept defeat. now that i see it we really wouldnt have gotten this far even with out the help of everyone who replied.
The best thing for you to do then is to just get your trusted mechanic on it.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Strato_54,

By this point you could have had a bluetooth adapter for your phone and have downloaded torque pro or some other minimal cost program and had almost EVERY diagnostic value needed to help you or to use as a guide to give feedback to these guys helping you.......give or take some majors like EGT, Fuel, HPOP.

Instead you pretty much are looking for someone to magically diagnose your truck over the internet with MINIMAL effort on your part.....not going to work like that.

As suggested by Mark (bismic), you're better off throwing your money at a mechanic and letting him figure it out for you.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Forscan is the goto tool, but this has already been suggested -- the adapter can be either Bluetooth or wifi, if you use a laptop -- The PC version of Forscan is free and is on par with the expensive software in functionality -- knowing what the PCM is using for parameters is key to diagnosing these engines

You say this is a welding shop, but I bet you don't guess on the type of metal or the filler rod and wire type to use in a weld -- some do I suppose "got any more of those 6011, trying to burn thru this rust ?"

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
and one used 500 buck 06 HPOP later she runs. turns out it over pressurized and blew up the fittings somewhere. installed new one runs like new. has boost leak forgot to tighten hose clamps and exhaust manifold pipes going to turbo other then that no issues runs great drive like a charm

61 - 71 of 71 Posts