Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an 01 Super Duty and I'm looking to give it some more hp without going to overboard. During the fall I will be pulling grain wagons with it so it will need a little something to get 500-600 bushel of grain moving out of the field, but it still needs to be fun to drive the rest of the year and smoke a little bit of course. It has a K&N cold air intake and that is it for now. I was looking at getting a set of swamp's 250/100 injectors with one of their custom tuned chips. Will I need any other upgrades with this combination or is there a better combination for what I am looking for.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
If you are going that big of injectors you are going to need a fair amount of supporting mods. those injectors will kill a lot of stuff on a stock truck. You should get a custom tuned chip and then go from there. And if you aren't wanting to go to big on HP it seems like that's a lot of wasted injector.

Edit: and if you are wanting to smoke go get a dodge. If you are wanting more power a clean burn produces more power than a smokey pig. People that smoke all the time are the idiots ruining the sport.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My idea of not to much power is around 450-500hp. It isn't going to be one of those overnight projects for me. I'm going to try and do it right so getting some supporting mods isn't that big of a deal for me. What all would I need to upgrade to be able to run those injectors semi safely. I'll almost never have the tuner turned all the way up.

·
Registered
723 Posts
You will need a intake not a k&n those suck and will kill ur turbo. So a 6637 intake
4 in exhaust
Gauges
Custom tunes.
That will get u to about 325

If u are going to tow I wouldn't go over 400hp because egts will go way to high

I would get stage 1 injectors a terminator hpop and a bigger turbo to keep the egts down and that will give u around close to 400hp with the mods I listed before.

If I where going to make a towing truck I would do exhaust, intake, gauges, custom tuner, and a turbo to cool down egts.

You will be surprised how much more power these trucks have with a chip and the other mods.

So that's what I would do. Try that out and if I want more power put stage 1 stuck and a hpop

Then we can get into transmission stuff but that's a different day.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
My idea of not to much power is around 450-500hp. It isn't going to be one of those overnight projects for me. I'm going to try and do it right so getting some supporting mods isn't that big of a deal for me. What all would I need to upgrade to be able to run those injectors semi safely. I'll almost never have the tuner turned all the way up.
500Hp is a nice goal, I would like to get there myself one day! But I dont have the 10grand to get there...:doh:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a little more about the truck... It is jet black in color. It's got a six inch lift and is sittin on 35x12.5 r18 toyo mt's on machined XD rims with an 06 front grille and headlights. It has 4in turbo back exhaust with a six inch tip, K&N, and a 3 gauge pillar. It is only a back-up truck for pullin grain wagons and more of a show truck than a work truck, so it won't get used for it all that much. Future plans are to get the tranny built before I do any kind of major work to the motor. Just a little FYI.

O one more thing. When I said I want a little smoke I meant when I really get on it. Cummins is great for smokin, but I want better than my buddy's 13-14mpg in his 450rwhp cummins.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I thought u said it was a 2003 not 2001. Do that means u could have forged rods. Ur truck might be a 2001 but it could of been made in 2000 and the engine could of been made earlier. The only way to tell if u have forged or pmrs is to pull the block plug behind the oil filter housing, above the oil pan. Pull that plug and look at the rod if there is a bolt U have pmrs. If there is a nut u have forged rods.

There is also engine build dates that will tell u. I don't know then I have a e99 so u have to look those up

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
935 Posts
I think you have a pretty good plan going. Stage 1's will not get you where you want to be. Stage 2's are a waste I hear. Stage 3 250/100 are great for towing and can be detuned for now and retuned when your ready through your chip. Plus the cost difference is minimal.

Thats exactly what i am doing but with Full Force injectors. I have PMR's so I will go to the safe limit 400 or so. Then I will build a block with forged rods (most likely stock forged will be enough for me) or I will look for a stock forged block. I do not want to put 10K into building a motor, will find a cheaper route.

if your only looking for 450-500 the stock HPOP will be fine for now. I am not sure abut fuel system though.

I plan to upgrade fuel system and HPOP just to be safe, but that will be a little down the rd.

You will definitely want to find out if you have PMR's or not though otherwise you may be spending more than you hoped.

Good luck with the build

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm taking it to a local shop here soon that builds powerstroke pulling trucks to have them check and see if I have pos pmrs or forged. I'm hoping for forged so I don't have to stop at 400hp. Does anybody have suggestions for good tunes to put on a dp tuner. I was gonna go ts but they are well on their way to being completely smokeless.

·
Banned
1,919 Posts
Everyone wants to smoke these days. If you want smoke then go with jody, i wouldn't want my tuner associated with that ignorant sh1t. Be sure you get the "rod chucker" tune.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm new to the whole powerstroke thing. It's always been cummins for me. What tuner is Jody associated with and how would I get ahold of Jody to do it. I've been reading about dp tuners and they seem to be a good fit, but I'm open to others. As I said I'm new to strokers and don't know a whole lot about performance upgrades for them.

·
Banned
1,919 Posts
1. Jody is dp tuner
2. I can tell you're a cummins guy
3. You can't tow at 400-500 horse
4. To make 500 get some 250/100, srp1.1, s467 on irates mount, studs, valve springs, push rods, regulated return with full fuel system, bts. Plus all the rinky dinky mods
5. If you want to tow 30k (500 bushels) then you need some 160's, sd66, srp1.1 which is about 400 horse but a 325 horse tow tune is more than enough. If you want to smoke go with jody, if you want quality tunes pm me and ill get you in touch with some

·
Registered
186 Posts
1. Jody is dp tuner
2. I can tell you're a cummins guy
3. You can't tow at 400-500 horse
4. To make 500 get some 250/100, srp1.1, s467 on irates mount, studs, valve springs, push rods, regulated return with full fuel system, bts. Plus all the rinky dinky mods
5. If you want to tow 30k (500 bushels) then you need some 160's, sd66, srp1.1 which is about 400 horse but a 325 horse tow tune is more than enough. If you want to smoke go with jody, if you want quality tunes pm me and ill get you in touch with some
To the OP... Do option 5 in this case.

All tow tunes will make the roughly the same power... regardless if you have 160's or 400/400's.

If you want a truck that can tow and still make close to 500 rwhp (when you are not towing) I would swap in some 200/100's hybrids and either run a 38r or SD66 turbo.

The 200/100's are imo a great number for injectors... no need for head studs/pushrods/valve springs/twin fuel pumps.... like what is needed for 238/100 or larger... savings of roughly $1,700 for parts alone.

If you want to run stage 1's just be aware that they will only net you like 375 rwhp in your hottest tune.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm taking it to a local shop here soon that builds powerstroke pulling trucks to have them check and see if I have pos pmrs or forged. I'm hoping for forged so I don't have to stop at 400hp. Does anybody have suggestions for good tunes to put on a dp tuner. I was gonna go ts but they are well on their way to being completely smokeless.
In a perfect world without turbo lag a diesel would be tuned perfect and you wouldn't have smoke. All smoke is, is wasted unburn't power loss fuel. I personally like having a truck that doesn't smoke and will still pull anything I hook it to. If you want smoke go get yourself a cummins. Your the typical farm kid that just wants the smoke. Now if you want clean 500 hp will egt's in check read this

How to make 400 - 500 RWHP 7.3L - PowerStrokeArmy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts