Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

More dpf/cat delete questions

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  08stroker250 
#1 ·
Ok probably answered before but here it goes.
1 what is the easiest way to remove factory "crap", by yourself and install a flo pro dpf/cat delete
2 when taking to the dealer do I have to put crap back in or can I leave it off and just take the tuner program out
3 by taking program out with dpf/cat out will I throw a sh*t load of codes.
4 just thinking that what if I brake down or too far away or too lazy and cant reinstall the "crap" but can take out the tune what will happen?
I honestly cant see myself hauling the "crap" around in the back of my truck all the time, with the necessary tools. My dealer understands what im doing and said make sure the stock tune is back in anytime you bring it back as not to wreck the tuner if they do a flash update.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks Dave

#2 ·
1. Get the tools you need together and ready for the removal/install and have a friend handy because that SOB is heavy.

2. When taking to the dealer, you have to put everything back on the truck and make it how it was before you put the Spartan tuner and DPF/DOC delete on. If you just take the tuner off, it will put the truck in limp mode and you wont be able to drive it. Plus if you have the DPF/DOC off and try to take it to the dealer, they will probably laugh at you and say bye bye warranty, unless they are cool with it like you said....but you cant drive it without being tuned. You could always put it back to stock in the dealer parking lot, let them drive it in a couple of feet, and then tune it back when they are done. I asked Nutty about this one time, and he said it should be fine.

3. Yes, and the truck will go into limp mode.

4. Doing all of this is risky. Modifying any vehicle is risky. That is about all I can say to that. You just got to be smart and as careful as possible. Hope this helps you out some :thumb:

#3 ·
So you carry all that crap with you just incase or do you just pray alot that nothing happens? I know there is risk involved just curious as to what others are doing. Example you're going on a 2 week vacation pulling your toy hauler and your 900 miles away from your mod friendly dealer, what do you do if you brake down???:dunno:

#5 ·
No, I do not carry anything around with me. I have not had to go to the dealer since the beginning of January. But my dealer also is ok with my truck how I have it, and knows NOT to flash the truck if I bring it in for a check-up. Not real sure how to help you with the 900 mile away deal. If your going on a 900 mile trip, I dont see why you wouldn't want to just throw the stock exhaust in the bed of your truck or your toy hauler for that one occasion..

""powerstroke43

anyone have a plugged dpf they want to sell.
Hello. I am looking for a plugged dpf that I can use for a delete pipe. Does anyone have one they want to sell? thanks.

nitropony443

Go to a junck yard or find one of those totaled trucks on ebay and contact the seller and see if htey will sell you one . they get about three trucks a week so i am sure hes got a couple.""

Stole this from another post. what happens in this guys case if he has to go in for work and removes the tuning program same thing as doing flo pro pipe? If so what is the advantage other than looks.
He most likely wants to gut a DPF/DOC pipe for visual inspections, that is why he is looking for an extra. Which is not a bad idea, and something I see people doing in the future when emissions laws really tighten up. In his case, he would have to put his non-gutted DPF/DOC back on the truck and tune the truck back to stock before a dealer visit.

#4 ·
""powerstroke43

anyone have a plugged dpf they want to sell.
Hello. I am looking for a plugged dpf that I can use for a delete pipe. Does anyone have one they want to sell? thanks.

nitropony443

Go to a junck yard or find one of those totaled trucks on ebay and contact the seller and see if htey will sell you one . they get about three trucks a week so i am sure hes got a couple.""

Stole this from another post. what happens in this guys case if he has to go in for work and removes the tuning program same thing as doing flo pro pipe? If so what is the advantage other than looks.

#6 ·
So.. They can tell if it has been gutted?.. What tools would you need to reinstall dpf?.. Wrench.. Wd-40..gloves.. I was thinking something to lay on.. And something to lay on top of you to protect you from the heat when you have to bench press thAt thing pita there and in case you drop it on yourself.. Some kinda bucket,block, or jack stand to support it... I've been thinking about what I could put on the truck along with the dpf just in case..

#8 ·
It is a risk you take, just like its a risk you take to drive on the road without federally mandated emissions equipment on your vehicle....You guys gotta think about that. If your worried about it, carry the stuff with you or just dont do it. If your not worried about it, then do like most people do and drive around without the stuff in the bed of your truck. Simple as that...:nod:

#10 ·
OH, I'm gonna do it. That is a no brainer, was just voicing a concern. Hell if I ever have a problem away from home I'll be in the 911 section from my blackberry trying to borrow a dpf from someone. Hey now theres an idea...lets start an emergency dpf support group for guys out of town who need to take there trucks in for service. Just a thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.