Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I gut the catalytic converter I have laying around can I sell the internals? Or is that pointless?

·
Registered
514 Posts
you can recycle it..... there worth some good money. sometimes you hear of people stealing the cats right off the trucks so they can recycle them.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How classy
look at this guy. who is he to talk about 'classy'. lol If you were classy you wouldn't leave a post saying "how classy"...but you already knew that. lol Thanks stroker27, I'll look into recycling them.

·
I have excessive flatulance!!
1,273 Posts
Yea that cat core is worth a good bit of money no need to gut it though...

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea that cat core is worth a good bit of money no need to gut it though...
Hey thanks Nick. Where would I go about taking the cat to get it recycled? Would I take it to a place that bums take the aluminum cans to? Oh and thanks for helping marc out on saturday. I called him after I got out of the shower but he said you already were gonna help him out.

·
Registered
891 Posts
you can recycle it..... there worth some good money. sometimes you hear of people stealing the cats right off the trucks so they can recycle them.
My buddies garage got hit three times. They would come in in the middle of the night and cut them off with a sawsall. Funny thing is he was there waiting for them the third time. One got away but he held the other at gunpoint till the state cops showed up. I heard they were getting somewhere like $100 apiece for them at the scrap yard. I had thought about getting rid of mine but with all this emmission crap I may need it to put back on for an hour or so to get inspected some day and I heard they were big bucks to replace so there it sits in my barn. Hope none of you guys come steal it now.:hehe:

·
Registered
82 Posts
They have been hitting the long term parking lots at our airport.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
holy crap. Im getting rid of both of them tomorrow! lol

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
David , don't you swap your cat on and off for Cal emissions? I keep mine for when I go to smog, I bolt it back on.

·
I have excessive flatulance!!
1,273 Posts
Hey thanks Nick. Where would I go about taking the cat to get it recycled? Would I take it to a place that bums take the aluminum cans to? Oh and thanks for helping marc out on saturday. I called him after I got out of the shower but he said you already were gonna help him out.
Yea not a problem he's helped me out alot time to return the favor... And yea the scrap yard all cat cores go for about 100 dollars also bring any aluminum you have they go for a pretty penny too..

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
David , don't you swap your cat on and off for Cal emissions? I keep mine for when I go to smog, I bolt it back on.
no emissions testing out here that I know of.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Oh, ok,, I guess I just figured Cali, And emissions popped right in my head. lol. Vegas just started the smog BS on diesels like 3 yrs ago.

·
Registered
223 Posts
i heard about them going and torching them off at dealerships and here i was too lazy to even take mine from the exhaust shop oops!

·
Registered
203 Posts
look at this guy. who is he to talk about 'classy'. lol If you were classy you wouldn't leave a post saying "how classy"...but you already knew that. lol Thanks stroker27, I'll look into recycling them.
Right.

I could understand cutting off a DPF since it kills MPG (of course you'd have to reprogram the PCM to have it not inject fuel), but what do you really gain in removing the cat besides some small number (~5) of HP?

It's especially ironic when all the "patriots" and hunters/fisherman/people that like to camp outside cut off their emissions control equipment...

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right.

I could understand cutting off a DPF since it kills MPG (of course you'd have to reprogram the PCM to have it not inject fuel), but what do you really gain in removing the cat besides some small number (~5) of HP?

It's especially ironic when all the "patriots" and hunters/fisherman/people that like to camp outside cut off their emissions control equipment...
do you own a powerstroke? reason I ask is because most people that do know that removing the cat makes the truck sound bad a$$, especially the 2003 models. Could you explain why you compare "patriots" to law abiding citizens? thanks.

·
Registered
203 Posts
do you own a powerstroke? reason I ask is because most people that do know that removing the cat makes the truck sound bad a$$, especially the 2003 models. Could you explain why you compare "patriots" to law abiding citizens? thanks.
Yes, an 06 F-250 with a 6.0. The "patriot" reference has to do with polluting the country and the people with it...so that their truck sounds cooler. You have to see the irony there.

Note: you are not necessarily one of these people. That said, I still think it is heinous

·
Rebel
657 Posts
Yes, an 06 F-250 with a 6.0. The "patriot" reference has to do with polluting the country and the people with it...so that their truck sounds cooler. You have to see the irony there.

Note: you are not necessarily one of these people. That said, I still think it is heinous
Thats why everyone has there own opinion. And i think yours is heinous.. But to each his own. every car /truck i own is loud and does not have any emission stuff on it. But then again i am a drag racer and love it that way.:thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts