Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the EGR system cleaned out at the dealer yesterday. They use MOC's equipment (as opposed to BG's or others). My truck is a 2005 with 100,000 miles. The performance improvements were immediate and striking. Low end power and responsiveness are amazing. I didn't expect such a noticable improvement in performance. I had the service done because I thought it might reduce the chances of EGR failure down the road not because I necessarily expected improved performance.

Is improved responsiveness typical from EGR cleaning service or should I attribute this to the fact that they also washed my truck (it always seems to run faster when its shiny):wink[3]:

(new fuel filters were part of the service. I did the oil change as soon as I got home - 2 miles away)

FWIW - my truck has a spotless OASIS. At 100K it has had brakes and I replaced the alternator (D & G alternator out of TN). Original injectors, head gasket, EGR, etc. I installed a coolant filter at 96K.

·
Registered
786 Posts
My question to you is: How exactly did they "clean" it? Sometimes changes can be imagined more so than real because the customer is expecting it to be so. This may or may not be the case for you. If the EGR system is full of soot and gunk, it will not be working effectively and engine performance will suffer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I understand the process - the EGR valve is removed and the MOC EGR adapter is attached. Through this adapter a cleaning solution is injected which removes the carbon deposits and soot. While the valve is out, it is also cleaned with a toothbrush.

As I said, maybe I can attribute the improved performance to the fact that they also washed my truck and it is shiney.

I have been riding my motorcycle the last couple of days but I will be driving the truck this weekend and next week - we'll see if my initial perception holds true.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
I didn't expect such a noticable improvement in performance. I had the service done because I thought it might reduce the chances of EGR failure down the road not because I necessarily expected improved performance.
The EGR failure is not attributed to a dirty intake or EGR valve. It is because of the oil cooler clogging up with silicates and debris within the engine. Granted you have solved only part of the possible problem with a coolant filter, but if you are still running Ford Gold coolant there is still a chance of your oil cooler clogging with silicates.

I understand your truck has been running fine for 100k, but there is still that possibility. I just dont want you to think that a dealer maintenance EGR cleaning will keep this from happening.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
don't forget the MOC kit includes a fuel additive that will boost performance. that's more likely the source of the improvement

I've run the MOC egr service on customers vehicles before. I tend to be pretty skeptical of it

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input and perspective about the MOC EGR treatment I got. Good point about the MOC fuel additive. Sort of like when I got the cortisone shot in my elbow - it felt like a million bucks for about month then started aching again.

I have been running CAT ELC for about 10K miles. I flushed the system completely with distilled water and refilled with 50% CAT ELC / 50% distilled H20. Its funny because some guys here on the forum were about to do this in an afternoon - it took me about 4 days driving back and forth to work (drain & flush at work, drain & flush at home, etc).

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I would get rid of that EGR all together, nice choice on running the ELC. Buy an edge insight/Scan gauge or borrow from a buddy, and see what your delta is. If its within the 7-10 your good to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts