Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as many of you know I have been running a mix of ATF/diesel for fuel for about 10k miles now with a total of 210k on my truck. And regardless of what everyone says this has been an experiment for me and I will post my successes and failures.

That being said, a couple of weeks ago my truck started smoking like a mobile forest fire. :hehe: I thought I was having mixing issues with the oil and diesel because that's what it would do but come to find out after filling the tank with 100% diesel it smokes even worse. So I ran a contribution test and #5 failed and I can also feel a slight miss.

I am sure I have an injector issue but I plan to build a compression test hose and see what my compression is and hope that I didn't burn a hole through my piston while I was ignoring the smoking. If I pass the compression test then I'll be pulling injectors and replacing them. If I don't then I'll be tearing down the motor. I will also be doing some inspection of the combustion chamber to see if there are any detrimental effects of running waste oil as fuel.

If you have any suggestions and/or ideas of things to check/test please feel free to let me know and I will do my best to get it done.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Subscribed....

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Waiting on parts for homemade compression tester.......waiting sucks......it really really sucks.....:hehe:

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Be patient gwasshoppa

·
wants to go 2wd to 4wd
892 Posts
Looking for fun...

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got my parts in for the homemade compression tester. Going out of town this weekend so it'll have to wait till next weekend.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I need some input here fellas.... and lady :hehe:.

This was a rough weekend. I started out with two dislocated thumbs and my left hand all cut up before I even turned a wrench. So before I tore the truck down I did a cylinder contribution test and cylinder 5 was the only one out of range. But when I did the compression test I got 7 cylinders with 350-400 PSI and only number 8 was low and it was about 310. Ive seen pressure minimums listed from 300-360 PSI. I have a hard time believing that 360 is a minimum when my truck will start right up without me letting the glow plugs warm and most of my readings were 350 PSI. I also looked at the glow plugs and there was just a very small amount of carbon buildup on them. None looked out of the ordinary for an engine with 200k miles to me.

At this point I'm thinking it just needs injectors. Any ideas or input?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
At this point I'm thinking it just needs injectors. Any ideas or input?
Do you have the ability to pull the injectors and send them off to (insert your favorite injector builder here) and have them checked out?

I read long ago about a guy that had an injector that broke the tip off and rather then spraying a nice fine fuel shot it dripped fuel and burned up is piston. I dont think its that bad yet in yours. We do know that you have way too much fuel (smoke). maybe its not enough air? like a boost leak or a turbo that is not putting out enough air? how are your boost numbers and EGTs?

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, pulling the injectors out and having them rebuilt and/or new ones was the next step unless anyone has a better idea. I've used beans in the past and liked them so I'm sure I'll be sending them their way.

Not having any boost issues, filter is good, EGT's normal, and it smokes like crazy just sitting at idle so I'm sure its either compression related or injector related.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:bump::bump:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Yea, pulling the injectors out and having them rebuilt and/or new ones was the next step unless anyone has a better idea. I've used beans in the past and liked them so I'm sure I'll be sending them their way.

Not having any boost issues, filter is good, EGT's normal, and it smokes like crazy just sitting at idle so I'm sure its either compression related or injector related.
Does it smoke just as much under boost?

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well it is white smoke at idle and black under boost. seems like same amount as always

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pulling injectors. so far everything looks good. will post pics tonight when I get to computer

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok here is the only pic I took. They all looked exactly the same. All I did was lightly wipe the oil off and took the pic.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just talked to Matt at Beans. They tested my injectors before rebuilding them and said they were pretty bad even for having 200k miles on them. Anyhow they are shipping them today and so hopefully I'll have them before the weekend.

I told him about my setup and what I run and he said it's possible that running the WMO sped up the process but who really knows. Now that I have a clean slate and a starting point I think the real experiment will begin. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
What injectors did you go with?

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What injectors did you go with?
just stock rebuilds. I have PM rods and im on my third trans in 2 years so I figure I probably shouldn't push to much lol

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didn't even think about it until a fellow member mentioned it but I'm going to go ahead and replace injector cups while I'm in there. I'm sure once I get it all back together and running my head gaskets will give out :hehe:

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well in typical fashion the brand new $250 injector cup tool I bought broke. It was really as minor issue but I had a hard time finding a new set screw to replace the broken one so that took me a couple of hours to fix and then it looks like one of the injector cups was damaged during manufacturing so I have to wait on another one of those :doh: At this pace it may be running by next year :hehe:

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
dang, your luck sounds like mine! 3 transmissions in 2 years! also sounds like my luck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts