Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody have this system in their truck? how is it? is it worth the money? it's expensive for $499 plus a wire harness i think that's $199. I want a hands free system but don't want to spend that kind of money and i cant stand putting that bluetooth in my ear.

·
Registered
98 Posts
options for stereo

I wouldn't spend $699 on the add-on. You can spend $400 or less for a nice aftermarket stereo that includes bluetooth hands-free either built-in or through an optional adapter.

I just installed a JVC kameleon and it greatly improved the sound coming from the factory speakers. I also bought an adapter kit so that the factory steering wheel controls operate with the new head unit.

I wouldn't dump money into the stock setup...

·
Premium Member
2021 F-350 Lariat
468 Posts
There alot of aftermarket radios that have the bluetooth add on available where were u going to where it was going to cost you 500 or more to add on?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Bigdaddy, I believe those prices are MSRP off the Ford website.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ford SYNC

You may need to research this more than I have but Ford is suppose to put the Microsoft SYNC systems in the 2009 Super Duty line up. I'm holding out for this and assuming that it'll fit the 2008's (at least it makes economical sense to me). From my understanding, SYNC give you more options than the Mobile Ease to include voice control of your radio and direct plug in--charge--voice control of your MP3 along with all the bluetooth whiz bang stuff.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
The SYNC will not work in the '08 SD without completely replacing the entire wiring harness within the truck. Supposedly, it's connected to everything.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Someone just started an Alpine thread, looks nice, he has a few issues though. Whether thats the install or the way the unit works, don't know, I gathered he's looking into solving it though if he can.

I have the Avic-Z2 and absolutely love it, plenty of features, there's also the Z1 which is the first generation and the recently released Z3 which is the third generation. The head units are identical, just different software on the harddrive so you can either just upgrade the maps by inserting a DVD or you can upgrade a Z1 or Z2 software as well as maps to a Z3 by downloading the image off avic411.com and have the newest generation that way.

Others have used the Kenwood 6120, 7120 and now theres a 8120 coming out. From the various posts, they appear to like them as much as the Avic users like theirs. I don't know much more about them other then they all appear to have similar feature sets as Brand B and C. Satellite, ipod, bluetooth, etc.. as well as being harddrive based so you don't have to swap out the navigation DVD for a CD when you want to listen to music which is a big plus for a navigation unit.

Anyway, you should be able to get plenty of feed back regarding each of the different types of head units; Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, Eclipse, etc.. here's some links to each so you can start checking on features.

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.
Pioneer USA - Navigation
Kenwood - navigation
ECLIPSE Navigation System lineup | Fujitsu Ten

1 - 11 of 11 Posts