Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just wanted to share this with anyone who might want to know. Lately I've been having large deltas in EOT and ECT, as well as a hard start when hot. Recently d it an oil change and switched to mobil 1 5w40 delvac and I'm quite surprised. Oil temps dropped significantly from almost 240 Om highway to around 212. The hard start when hot has also completely gone away. Unfortunately my delta is still bad it about 20 degrees (a lot better than the 40 I was getting tho) so I'm doing a full system flush then an oil cooler back flush today. Just thought i would share in case anyone else was having similar problems.

· Administrator
35,266 Posts
the hard start I can see
but can you explain your theory on how the oil temps dropped so drastically ?
since the high temps were not from friction ( or ?) then it seems like you are stating this oil has a method to reject heat and self cool ?

a plugged oil cooler is a coolant side issue so ?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the hard start I can see
but can you explain your theory on how the oil temps dropped so drastically ?
since the high temps were not from friction ( or ?) then it seems like you are stating this oil has a method to reject heat and self cool ?

a plugged oil cooler is a coolant side issue so ?
I am unsure exactly but what I do know is the oil takes longer to heat up than the previous oil in had and it stays cooler under the same conditions. My theory is the old oil couldn't handle heat as well and thus retained more heat while running

· Compression Ignition Addict
12,045 Posts
A long time ago I watched a Ford training video on oil coolers. In it they state that it is possible for them to plug on the oil side also - but it requires some pretty poor maintenance practices, or an oil filter that bypasses all the time (maybe due to aftermarket parts)..

· Compression Ignition Addict
12,045 Posts
sure if you let sludge happen the oil cooler will clog

I guess without knowing the state and type of the original oil then fresh oil could impact temps
Yeah, they showed a picture of the sludge in the engine. It was hard to believe that any engine could have been let go like that. I believe that it was cheezit over on FTE that said he saw one sludged up that bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.