Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:tard: I am new to this forum and new to diesel engines. I bought a F250 6.0 new in April 04, 4-door, automatic. I haven't used it for the original purpose very much (hauling my tractor and equipment around), and I have only 48000 miles on it after 5 years. My problem comes from the fact that I failed to change the fuel filter until 45000 miles, due to ignorance of diesel maintenance and failure to read the manual. The engine developed a "miss" or hesitation when I accelerate above 50 or 60 miles an hour. I get puffs of black smoke from the tail pipe (not a steady stream as under extreme acceleration) under light or moderate acceleration. I have added TC3W oil from WalMart and it still does this. Do you think it is an injector fouling or could it be something else? Pardon me for my ignorance, but I was also going through PTSD therapy at the VA for the last 5 years and sometimes my mind was halfway around the world in the jungle again. If anyone has any information, or if you require any more information, please let me know. Thank you.

POW/MIA.......never forget; never again!

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts
Could be an injector fouling and/or an Injection Pressure Regulator (IPR) valve. You need to datalog the Injection Control Pressure (ICP) during the "miss" to determine if it is mechanical (High Pressure Oil Pump-related) or electronic (IPR valve or ICP sensor). Usually an experienced diesel mechanic has tools to perform those tests. Good luck. :thumb:

·
Registered
929 Posts
Same thing happen to my truck at like 15,000miles. Im willing to bet it is your EGR vavle.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I get this skip too. I also get loping idle. Both are intermittent. Sometimes its there and sometimes its not. Most of what I can find on this could be ICP related or could resort back to the FICM re-flash too. Some of the re-flashes were problematic and caused symptoms like this At least on the 03 on the 04 not 100%. I have a leaking ICP sensor right now I gather since I had the rear main replaced already and its still getting the oil at the bell housing. I am going to replace that first and see if that has anything to do with my issue and if its still there then it will be going to my mechanic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you for your replies

I want to thank you guys for the information you left on the website. I guess I will have to go to the mechanic for the solution. I can fix a lot of things, but as I said earlier, this is my first diesel. I don't want to wade in too far without knowing more than I do. Thanks again.

PS: I will leave a note here whenever the problem gets corrected.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts