Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using the Mishimoto oil cooler? The one I saw was universal, but I can't imagine someone has not tried it since it is about 1/5 the price of the BPD. Did a search but did not see anything like this...

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Does not look big enough. As the guy holds it in the video, looks about a quarter to a third the size of the BPD cooler and this is the biggest of the two:

https://www.mishimoto.com/universal-25-row-dual-pass-oil-cooler.html

Also says its good for Power Steering and transmission fluid, but leaves out engine oil.

Tech specs do not give a BTU or similar cooling measurement. I don't know what the magic number is. Probably good to supplement, but not replace engine oil cooling. Another company makes one. Maryland Diesel I think, but that is also too small.

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
The magic number is a hair over 100,000BTU/hr.

Someone could do the heat transfer calculation for this cooler based on the physical specs Mishi provides online to see if it is in the ballpark. ...but I doubt that it is even remotely close - pun intended.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,652 Posts
The magic number is a hair over 100,000BTU/hr.

Someone could do the heat transfer calculation for this cooler based on the physical specs Mishi provides online to see if it is in the ballpark. ...but I doubt that it is even remotely close - pun intended.
@djmaguire - where did you get the 100,000 BTU/hr number? That is very interesting information!

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
@djmaguire - where did you get the 100,000 BTU/hr number? That is very interesting information!
It's the rated heat transfer of the BPD cooler - or the commercial predecessor to the BPD branded cooler, anyway.

I also hand calculated the parameter once using the 6.0 temps, volumes, and flow rates once and ended up with almost the exact same number. I did it two different ways. That suggested to me that BPD had gotten it right.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,652 Posts
What oil flow did you use? Racor rates their filter at around 20 gpm and Ford rates the LPOP at around 19 gpm.

Also, do you have an estimate on the coolant flow through the cooler? I know it can be calculated w/ the coolant temperatures (in and out) and the oil side heat transfer rate, but was curious about confirming it.

Appreciate the info!

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
I'll try and find my calcs.

At the time, I was planning to make a DIY air-to-oil cooler using E-series parts to give me the remote filter and then stick a heat exchanger inline. Not long after, BPD released their relocation and I ended up just doing that.

I'll see what I can find and just post it up here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts