Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so I just got my dpf delete pipe (thanks Supercharged) and the SCT (Thanks Bill).

I also have a S&B intake, everything else is stock.

Before the delete I was getting 9.5 mpg, with a best of 10.8. I just installed the dpf delete stuff2 weeks ago and the next day left for a 3800 mile trip. I must say that buying the SCT and pipe was the best money I have spent on the truck thus far. On the extreme settings I averaged 16.7 total. I avg 75-85 mph. That includes going through some mountains also. Trip was from Houston to Carlsbad, NM to the Grand Canyon to Page, AZ. I don't think I want to drive that route again. There is a whole lotta nothin in west TX for those of you that don't know. :rofl:

Just shootin straight, I have nothing to gain, just thought I would share my experience.

Don

ps: Hand calculated

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Ok, so I just got my dpf delete pipe (thanks Supercharged) and the SCT (Thanks Bill).

I also have a S&B intake, everything else is stock.

Before the delete I was getting 9.5 mpg, with a best of 10.8. I just installed the dpf delete stuff2 weeks ago and the next day left for a 3800 mile trip. I must say that buying the SCT and pipe was the best money I have spent on the truck thus far. On the extreme settings I averaged 16.7 total. I avg 75-85 mph. That includes going through some mountains also. Trip was from Houston to Carlsbad, NM to the Grand Canyon to Page, AZ. I don't think I want to drive that route again. There is a whole lotta nothin in west TX for those of you that don't know. :rofl:

Just shootin straight, I have nothing to gain, just thought I would share my experience.

Don

ps: Hand calculated
Well we do have a lot of State Troopers in west Texas, :hehe:

·
Registered
44 Posts
damn 6 mpg gain, i only got about 2 mpg gain. what tune were you using?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bigtruck I am with you...I am only seeing about 2mpg increase. If I drive like a grandma keeping her between 55 and 60mph I am seeing a little more, but 6mpg is a little far-fetched if you ask me!!!!:dunno:

BTW I am running the extreme tune 100% of the time and hand calculated as well.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I'm averaging 18 MPH. There doesn't seem to be as much gain "in town" as there is on the highway. I'm showing well over 20 highway. I got to think that the custom tune software will allow us to straighten that out.
SCT is telling me at least two months. I would bet that they have learned some lessons at someone elses expense.
I would be that we'll see it much sooner than that. I do know that Innovative was working with SCT to develop a custom tune.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am surprised as well. But you maybe right "far fetched to YOU".
I do not lie!! You can take it however you want to spin it. Those are MY numbers, sorry if you are not seeing the same.:dunno:

Bigtruck I am with you...I am only seeing about 2mpg increase. If I drive like a grandma keeping her between 55 and 60mph I am seeing a little more, but 6mpg is a little far-fetched if you ask me!!!!:dunno:

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
damn 6 mpg gain, i only got about 2 mpg gain. what tune were you using?

i dont see the dpf delete in your sig?

·
Registered
44 Posts
dont have a sig thats why

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts

Its all in how you drive it.....loading the tune on the truck is one thing, but knowing where to keep the turbos and get up to speed is another thing

·
Registered
37 Posts
I do not lie!! You can take it however you want to spin it. Those are MY numbers, sorry if you are not seeing the same.:dunno:

By no means am I calling you a liar...if I did all my driving around 55-60 mph I would also see 20mpg, but the fact that I am on the highway everyday running 80mph, the best I am seeing is between 15-16mpg. Pre delete pipe I was averaging 13mpg.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Naturally everyone experiences a wide variety of mpg.

For instance, I can drive 65 or so and get around 20 mpg. I have also towed my camper and seen well over 11 mpg.

Today, however, I was pushing one crazy head wind all day down US 283 across Kansas, Oklahoma, and part of Texas and averaged 7.2 mpg running 70 mph.

·
Registered
208 Posts
By no means am I calling you a liar...if I did all my driving around 55-60 mph I would also see 20mpg, but the fact that I am on the highway everyday running 80mph, the best I am seeing is between 15-16mpg. Pre delete pipe I was averaging 13mpg.
Grizzly, I think that's why you're not seeing a bigger mileage gain.... Running at 80 in these trucks kills the mileage :(. I know in my truck if I run at 80mph on the hwy I get 10.5-11 mpg but when I keep it at 70 I'll get 13.5-14. I have no idea what truck you have but mine's list in my sig so you can see what I'm working with.

If you have the time and patients :) do a simple test for one or two tanks and see how you make out..... Slow down and run 70 mph and see what you get. The time and money you waste stopping and filling up more often will more then make up for the delay in getting to your destination a fe minutes later.

Gerry

·
Registered
800 Posts
Grizzly, I think that's why you're not seeing a bigger mileage gain.... Running at 80 in these trucks kills the mileage :(. I know in my truck if I run at 80mph on the hwy I get 10.5-11 mpg but when I keep it at 70 I'll get 13.5-14. I have no idea what truck you have but mine's list in my sig so you can see what I'm working with.

If you have the time and patients :) do a simple test for one or two tanks and see how you make out..... Slow down and run 70 mph and see what you get. The time and money you waste stopping and filling up more often will more then make up for the delay in getting to your destination a fe minutes later.

Gerry

Right on Gerry.
I'm not sure how anybody can run 80 mph and expect mileage gains..

If I run the cruise at 65-68 mph, I'm getting the higher side of 21 mpg.
I can run that alllll day long..
Start inching up on speed, the MPG inches down.
If I start battling the wind at 80mph plus, it drops down significantly.
At $5.05 a gallon here, that's a good reason to run the speed limit. Besides, 65 keeps you out of trouble with the law.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Right on Gerry.
I'm not sure how anybody can run 80 mph and expect mileage gains..

If I run the cruise at 65-68 mph, I'm getting the higher side of 21 mpg.
I can run that alllll day long..
Start inching up on speed, the MPG inches down.
If I start battling the wind at 80mph plus, it drops down significantly.
At $5.05 a gallon here, that's a good reason to run the speed limit. Besides, 65 keeps you out of trouble with the law.
I've got a TERRIBLY HEAVY lead foot but the cost of fuel has slowed me down A LOT! These 6000-8000lb "aerodynamically-challenged" vehicles loose mileage exponentially once you get up over 55-60mph. I'd have to agree that at 75-80mph if you can get 15-16 mpg, that's quite good. The Grizzly must have a big "pot o' honey" to feed his 6.4:thumb: Wish I could afford to still hammerdown all the time....:doh:

Stay Tuned
Amp

·
Registered
19 Posts
gear ratio and modifcations that affect that (larger tires?) will make a difference as well, with 3.73 gears and stock tires still i'm avg 18.3, well over 20 highway on my daily 40 mile commute. I know some guys with bigger trucks are not seeing nearly the improvement, but they are also lower geared. If you really want to get it as high as possible try to keep your boost below 10 while cruising and below 20 while accel, keep rpms below 2000 and let the trans do the work.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
gear ratio and modifcations that affect that (larger tires?) will make a difference as well, with 3.73 gears and stock tires still i'm avg 18.3, well over 20 highway on my daily 40 mile commute. I know some guys with bigger trucks are not seeing nearly the improvement, but they are also lower geared. If you really want to get it as high as possible try to keep your boost below 10 while cruising and below 20 while accel, keep rpms below 2000 and let the trans do the work.
That would be the ticket:thumb: I see 16-17 city and 20-21 highway. 3:73 6 speed manual.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Something else to think about is, how many miles do you have on your trucks? I have around 34,000 on mine. I only have the KEM (70hp) with delete pipe and can average 18 on the highway (65 to 70 mph).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts