Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to get a tuner and i'm trying my best to narrow down my options. The only problem is that there are way to many to pick from. My preferences are #1 fuel mileage, #2 hp/tq gain (for towing about 4 ton trailer), and #3 something reputable. Additionally i'd really like to keep the price lower than $600. No other mods at this time, although I plan on having a less restrictive exhaust within the next few months. Let 'er rip!!
:icon_ford:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My bad.....its a 6.0l

·
Registered
2000 F350 Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4wd
1,425 Posts
I'm kinda in the same boat. I have a '03 6.0 - I want a tuner/chip - but cant seem to make up my mind on which ones. I agree - criteria is #1 mileage, #2 towing then #3 playfullness just a little. No other mods.

I've considered the Hyperpac Max Energy - thought that is what I was going to go with, then my mind caught sight of the Quadzilla 65hp module - pure and simple. Before all this was the Bully Dog and before that was Banks. I dont want to have to keep downloading stuff to change a tune - so a switch or just one good program is all I want -
What are the suggestions - oh and yea - well under $600 - preferably under $400.

(Sorry if I hijacked the thread - but got the same questions)

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
SCT is the only tuner for the 6.0. best one around.

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Ya he's right. 99% of the 6.0l tuners we sell are Innovative Diesel custom tuner Sct Xcal3's. Hope I can help.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
But does it meet the criteria completly? (SCT)

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Mileage being highest concern, followed by great towing performance (with low EGT's - should be a given but need to state anyhow) followed by we all know a little fun.

What about cost? Ease of use? What about the stuff that we dont need that we would be paying for if any? How would it totaly compare to a straight and simple chip like Quadzilla 65 claiming an increase of 2-5mpg?

·
Registered
578 Posts
SCT is the way to go for sure. I gained about 3 mpg when I installed mine (if you drive sensibly). A good custom tow tune is great, if you are only towing four tons you will very rarely see EGT's over 1200 with a nice tow tune.

On the fun side, words can't explain how much fun it is, it will make it a different truck, like a hot rod.

You can get a SCT X3 for around $400 with custom tunes, you should get gauges as well. EGT, Boost, and Trans Temp, this will cost you around another $300.

Go to DJ's or Innovative Diesel for your parts, buy from them and they hook you up with the custom tunes for free, you can't go wrong with either one. I got my SCT and ISSpro gauges about 4 months ago from DJ's and it was a little over $700 all in, well worth the money.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well fellas, I broke down and picked up one. I bought the Edge Cortex from my local truck shop and installed it last night. With the main consideration being increase in HP with safety in mind, I went with it. So far, my MPG is about 2 higher, but I've tried out the peppiness also. Today i'm going to drive like a granny on the highway and see if I can consistently break 20 mpg's (my goal). If I don't like the chip, I can take it back free of charge. Oh, and I spent $500 by the way. So....with that being said bring on the opinions, and don't hold back!!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Waste of $$$

SCT is the way

·
Registered
267 Posts
I bought the Edge Cortex from my local truck shop and installed it last night. With the main consideration being increase in HP with safety in mind, I went with it. So far, my MPG is about 2 higher, but I've tried out the peppiness also.
If you just "installed it last night" then you really have no idea how it's affected your mpg. Give it a month (or two) and let us know how it's doing.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I mainly got the cortex due to the fact that I can bring it back and get my money back if i'm not satisfied. I finally found an SCT dealer which i'm going to talk to today. The price difference is only about $30, so i'm just looking at the fuel economy/hp difference. Any suggestions on which SCT device to look into. Thanks in advance, once again fellas!!

:icon_ford:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
What is "Turbo Braking"? Is that like Engine Braking that I get with the TorqueShift?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well fellas, I broke down and picked up one. I bought the Edge Cortex from my local truck shop and installed it last night. With the main consideration being increase in HP with safety in mind, I went with it. So far, my MPG is about 2 higher, but I've tried out the peppiness also. Today i'm going to drive like a granny on the highway and see if I can consistently break 20 mpg's (my goal). If I don't like the chip, I can take it back free of charge. Oh, and I spent $500 by the way. So....with that being said bring on the opinions, and don't hold back!!
Edge + transmission = bad news

If you just "installed it last night" then you really have no idea how it's affected your mpg. Give it a month (or two) and let us know how it's doing.
Yeah, hardly a scientific comparison

What is "Turbo Braking"? Is that like Engine Braking that I get with the TorqueShift?
No idea...they might close the vanes so that it causes exhaust restriction, somewhat like a jake brake

edit: Apparently there is a valve immediately after the turbo that gets closed somewhat during engine warmup to create backpressure...the SCT allows the valve to be controlled manually, assisting in slowing the truck down like a jake brake

TheDieselStop.Com - www.thedieselstop.com

Although eric from innovative diesel describes something similar to what I was talking about

No, the braking won't hurt your turbo at all. It just moves the vanes, as if the truck were making boost. We actually were the first to build and run the braking programs. We have trucks pushing over 100k miles with no problems.

Cycling the turbo does help with keeping it from sticking. Although for those with a heavy foot, you shouldn't have an issue.

SCT turbo braking feature and turbo life - Diesel Forum - The Diesel Stop.com

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright fellas.....Today I returned the Superchips Cortex. My gain in horsepower was evident however I only gained about 1-2 mgp's max. Yesterday I talked with an SCT dealer who suggested a programmer with whatever 3 files I want for $380 (versus the $500 Superchips Cortex). I'm going to go with a fuel economy file, tow file, and balls to the wall file. Any other suggestions......tomorrow morning i'm picking it up. Thanks for all the advice thus far.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Alright fellas.....Today I returned the Superchips Cortex. My gain in horsepower was evident however I only gained about 1-2 mgp's max. Yesterday I talked with an SCT dealer who suggested a programmer with whatever 3 files I want for $380 (versus the $500 Superchips Cortex). I'm going to go with a fuel economy file, tow file, and balls to the wall file. Any other suggestions......tomorrow morning i'm picking it up. Thanks for all the advice thus far.
:rofl:mad: "only" picking up 1-2mpg in a 4 ton truck

That said, the SCT is the best solution out there, in my opinion

·
Registered
386 Posts
where can i get an sct (i live in manitoba)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts