Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Questions for all:

First, what type of mileage are people getting with their stock 6.4L? I have a stock 6.4 except for a bully dog that is plugged in. The only reason I got the bully dog was because I was told it would help with my mileage, I am getting mid 13's. Does that sound right...? better, worse. Any suggestions on how to get better mileage and still pass emissions.

Second, the bully dog has a pyrometer that reads the exaust temperature, and periodically in normal driving conditions the pyrometer will read 1260 degrees and then defuel the truck to try to bring that temperature down. I notice great mileage loss during these times. Any thoughts on why the trucks exaust is getting so hot, or could it be a faulty sensor?

Thanks for reading, any input would be appreaciated.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Everything you are describing is perfectly normal. With a stock truck you have what is called a DPF in the exhaust system. The DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) collects soot from the exhaust. When the DPF gets to a point where flow is restricted the truck goes into what is called regen. During regen on the exhaust stroke the truck injects fuel into the two back cylinders in the engine. This superheats the exhaust and burns the particulate out of the DPF as ash.

That is why you see the reduced milage and very high exhaust temps. I would raise the defule settings on the bullydog to about 1350-1400 on a stock truck.

Aside from removing the DPF there is not much you can do for your mileage. If you are worried about passing emissions, then obviously you can't remove the DPF.

As for your mileage. It sounds about right. I get 12-13 in the city and 15-16 on the highway.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Remove the dpf get a different tuner that supports it and put it back on for testing

·
Registered
994 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^DITTO!

·
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere
1,898 Posts
TJ is right on. If you can't change emissions you are kinda stuck where you are at.

If you can there are a TON of threads on DPF/DoC/EGR deletes. I would suggest an intake (AFE or S&B), exhaust, and tuner (H&S or Spartan).

Tune that beast and never look back.

Sent from a phone smarter than me.

·
Registered
695 Posts
If you are able, ditch the emmisions as fast as you can. I know it seems scary doing it, but these motors are for the most part problem free if you delete and do GOOD consistant maintenance. These 6.4's will run a long time when the are not a clogged up with the emmisions crap. I think it is safe to say:

If you delete and do maintenance, you will see better fuel economy (Varies from truck to truck and day to day), and you can double the life on the motor.

Delete = Happy truck and happy owner.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ive got H&S , with S&B deleted with the small factory muffler towards the rear. The truck is 2wd with 373's when not towing I drive it around 70 to 75 maybe getting on it once or twice per tank and I always get 17.8 Running the hot tune...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts