Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright gentlemen (and ladies) I think I have found my next vehicle, I have been searching for a 05-07 CCLB 350 or 450 preferably manual with less then 150k on the odo. I found an 04 today that fits all my criteria besides the year. Take a look and tell me what y'all think, what should I look out for and how does the price sound?

2004 Ford F450 Crew Cab Lariat White Manual 6 speed

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was also going to see if one of our fine techs on here would mind running an oasis on it for me, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm not afraid of the 6.0 but I want to know if its a problem plagued truck already...I've had some bad luck with vehicles in the past and I really like this one so I want to make sure everything is good to go with it.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
It's a real clean truck for 144,000 on it and looks like it has 6 almost new tires.
Didn't see a picture of what the inside of the bed looks like, but the rest
of the truck looks good.
I don't think the price is to bad, didn't take the time to check it out.
Run a Oasis Report on it, and go from there. Good luck.
Doug

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
What gears, 4.88 or 4.30?
Doug

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What gears, 4.88 or 4.30?
Doug
The ad doesn't say...I'm hoping for 4.30s...4.88s would need a gear vendors or a regear, I like being able to drive over 65 too much :hehe:

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bumping this up for the 6.0 guys. I am going to look at it in the morning so any more info would be great...if anyone can do an oasis, I will owe you a few cold ones too :thumb:

·
Registered
933 Posts
The ad doesn't say...I'm hoping for 4.30s...4.88s would need a gear vendors or a regear, I like being able to drive over 65 too much :hehe:
what are you towing with it? Id be willing to bet that it was a spec'd truck, ive never seen a pre 08 F450 PICKUP (bed) lariat with a 6 speed, price doest seem bad tho

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what are you towing with it? Id be willing to bet that it was a spec'd truck, ive never seen a pre 08 F450 PICKUP (bed) lariat with a 6 speed, price doest seem bad tho
It is almost perfect, the only thing I would change would be a year or two newer for the front suspension and tighter turning...but that can be taken care of later.

As far as towing goes:

Custom 38' Exiss Cargo
It weighs in at 16k or so depending on the load inside and if the water tanks are full or dry.

I tow that every week or two anywhere from 50 to 500 miles. My 250 with mods listed pulls it just fine but it lacks the braking of a 350 or 450 and it definitely lacks the stability that you get with duals.

Other then that, I will be towing this set up more and more next year to races and diesel events across the midwest. Truck plus trailer, tools, generator, compressor, parts and luggage comes in around 26k combined with the 350.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I didn't think they made lariat w/ 6 speeds. Its a very nice looking rig. As stated before, run an oasis and go from there.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't think they made lariat w/ 6 speeds. Its a very nice looking rig. As stated before, run an oasis and go from there.
Well send a tech or someone with access my way and I will :hehe:

I have only seen one other lariat 6 speed and I fell in love...this is the only one I have seen in a year or so...I can't wait to go look at it.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really like the wheels, they look like 19.5"
Yup...they are cause it's a 450. I like em too...I really like that I won't be replacing tires every year like I am currently doing :woot:

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Yes, but when you do $$$$$$$$$$

My dad put 2 tires on the front of his 550 after 120k for $600 for the 2! The tread didn't wear out, their was a bad vibration in the front end all of the sudden, and when we finally got back to the shop their was a massive bulge in the side of the tire. We didn't even trust it to drive to the tire shop.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, but when you do $$$$$$$$$$

My dad put 2 tires on the front of his 550 after 120k for $600 for the 2! The tread didn't wear out, their was a bad vibration in the front end all of the sudden, and when we finally got back to the shop their was a massive bulge in the side of the tire. We didn't even trust it to drive to the tire shop.
Yeah I didn't say I would be looking forward to the bill lol...1500 a year right now is bad enough...but for the price difference the extended wear would pay for itself quickly. I already have my next set of tires for it picked out...goodyear has some logging/industrial g rated 19.5s that look sweet...there's an old farmer out here who swears by them.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I'm about 98% sure dad has good years on his 550. Great traction (especially compared to the straight treads that were on it from factory), handle loads great, and seem to be wearing fine :thumb:

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm about 98% sure dad has good years on his 550. Great traction (especially compared to the straight treads that were on it from factory), handle loads great, and seem to be wearing fine :thumb:
Good to hear! The tires that are on it now look fairly aggressive for 19.5s...I just need a fairly well mannered mud tire because my rigs see plenty of highway but also lots of mud, muck, snow, ice, etc...I'm hoping this 450 will fit my needs for everything I am looking for in a tow rig/workhorse

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the 450 got sold...they were putting the tag on it as I drove up...I cried when I saw it...

But I found an 06 350 at a dealer here that has 128k with a hauler bed on it...interior is a little rough but not bad...I saw it before they detailed it so it should look better when I see it tomorrow. I got them talked down to 14k for it...this sound reasonable? I'm not worried about the interior, I can get new leather seat covers easily around here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts