Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some reassurance either way here. When i start up in the morning, i get a little white smoke and it seems as though the exhaust is loping....:dunno: if that makes sense. the motor sounds good at idle until you ease into the throttle in neutral. then it seems a little rough like the exhaust. I am new to the 6.0, five months now, and am a little baffeled at these motors. any suggestions would be great.

oh, the truck is an 03 6.0 F-350 cc dually, 4x4 with the 6 spd. 66000 miles, replacecd injectors and straight pipe.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah they did all eight, it was a local diesel mechanic, dierks diesel. they're brand new with a 12 month warranty.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Gonna have to do a cylinder contribution test and see which one is the offending injector and re-replace it.

I have a bit of a hollow sound on one cylinder, but there's no white smoke or oil dilution, so I'm ignoring it until I save up the scratch to do head studs, gaskets, EGR delete, etc. Power is still good, it's just a bit rough when it's on fast idle.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Why? Ive never replaced all 8 injectors, ever.
Because cablifter, we shut one down due to failure and a day later they started dropping like flies. three injectors in two, well really one day. now i dont know about you, but i hate to see my truck in the shop over and over and over. i just saved time and money instead of the teardown eight different times.

thanks for the input veedub. i'll have to check that out. I'm pullin it in tonight to start checkin codes, egr, oil minor stuff. so i'll keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
380 Posts
You might have a bigger problem that's killing injectors, especially since you lost several during a short period of time. Water in fuel, perhaps?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I understand that downtime sucks, but having the unreliability of owning a 6l would be a surefire indication that not everyone has the diagnostic capabilities of fixing these trucks properly. Were they aftermarket injectors? Ive been stung a few times because of them..

·
Registered
79 Posts
What did the old injectors look like? If there is rust or contamination between the black and white o-ring then i would look at the fuel source.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the old injectors looked ok. from what i saw of them. there was no rust or corrosion. two of them were electrical failures and the other was a mechanical failure. we went in and shut them down with the programer and two went down and the other was stuck. the fuel issue, i have stopped using a local staion since that was my first thought, and have since started using fuel treatment in every tank. They were a ford oem replacement injector that was installed, i didn't want to upgrade right then since i didn't have the money to upgrade corresponding parts, head studs, egr delete that i've heard are mandatory when upsizing injectors or beefing the motor up at all. I've heard these motors can be great motors with a few things removed and replaced and i have been happy with the performance so far. I just got a little gunshy with the injectors right off the bat and this new issue might be nothing, but i want to pursue it to make sure it doesn't catch me with my pants down again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
update

ok, so i have figured out that the truck is only acting like this when its temp is low. once it warms up it seems to run good. when its cold still it hesitates and has a little jerking when accelerating and like i said the turbo seems rough through the exhast. any more ideas??:tard:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts