Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
With talk of filtering and micron ratings i thought this would be a good post.

Micron Size Comparison Chart

Particle Size
(Microns)

25,400 beach sand
100-2000 eye of a needle
1230 pollens
10-1000 saw dust
30-600 coffee
4-400 dust mites
100-300 table salt
120 human hair
70 lower limit of visibility (naked eye)
40 household dust
40 mold spores
25 white blood cells
10 talcum powder
8 red blood cells
3 bacteria
2-3 spider web
2 lead dust
0.1-0.8 corn starch
0.5 tobacco smoke
0.5-2 90% of all oil contaminants
1 0.001 millimeter

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Very interesting, and helpful. Thanks.
Dave

·
Registered
83 Posts
I will settle on finding a 25 micron filter, anyone have suggestions?

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the filters I buy come in 1, 5 10, etc...I use 5 micron.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Link not working,...I can't see the product..

BTW- Don't you have to own a business to buy from grainger,...I didn't think they sold to regular customers.
As long as you know someone that has a business account there, you will be able to buy from them. If you know either the name or phone number of the business on the account, you will be good. I've purchased from there many times before and have always used the name of a friend's business and have paid either cash or CC every time... :thumb:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Link not working,...I can't see the product..

BTW- Don't you have to own a business to buy from grainger,...I didn't think they sold to regular customers.

1) Click on link.
2) Search for desired product
3) Purchase if you want to

Thanks for looking :wink[3]:

·
Registered
956 Posts
I had ordered a few filters from Norther Tool but I can find where it says what micro rating their filters are now.

·
Registered
202 Posts
A half decent list of fuel filters available anywhere via Fleetfilter or Napa is enclosed for your use, hope it helps.

Grainger will sell to anyone now. If you work for a big industrial concern (like Boring) then you might get 10-20% like I do.

Also try McMaster.com and JMESales.com for 1-2 micron filters, although I don't think JME will have any that low.

Good luck.

Al

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
try mcmaster-carr.com they have just about everything grainger has. i've been pricing out a filtration system using there online catalog

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
ive been gettingmine from golden fuel systems. some of the places i have looked want and a ridiculous amount of money for these things.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
i was going to buy another bag as mine has about had it, but went and purchased a filter mount, filters, and drum strainer this morning. total about $60 (a good deal in shipping). all i will ever have to re-purchase are spin-on filters. i may expand the system in the future for greater flow. all i need now is npt to hose barb fittings for the hose. i hope it works well. im tired of bag filtering...

·
Registered
956 Posts
i was going to buy another bag as mine has about had it, but went and purchased a filter mount, filters, and drum strainer this morning. total about $60 (a good deal in shipping). all i will ever have to re-purchase are spin-on filters. i may expand the system in the future for greater flow. all i need now is npt to hose barb fittings for the hose. i hope it works well. im tired of bag filtering...
Good for you, way worth it. Worst case scenario you can get a filter at NAPA. They wont filter as small microns but still work to clean up the oil.

Home Depo has those fittings, I found them in plastic for around $1 each. I needed 4 for the 2 filters I plumbed together.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts