Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide if these are going to be the right tires for me. I'm wanting 33x12.50R17s to put on my ext. cab f350.

I have a few questions for those who have them:

What's with the max load? it's listed as 2600lbs. Is my truck going to be too hard on these tires?

I do a lot of highway driving. what is the wear like on them?

Are they noisy? (say, compared to a BFG AT)

and how are they in mud :D ?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
don't you worry about that :D

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
im running them, these are my first set of mudders though, so dont have any comparisons. I have about 18k on mine and they are showing very little wear, should be able to get 40-50k out if them pretty easily im thinkin, i rotate them every 5k. On the highway there is a little howl but nothing bad, witht the radio on you cant even tell its there. Ive never been in the mud but in the deep snow and slush they are awesome, I never really even needed 4wd all winter, they seem to go through anything quite well that ive encountered. They look bad azz as well. mine are just 285/75/16s and they look tough. heres my truck with them

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
very cool. they're definitely good looking tires :thumb:

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
I used to have them and they started chunking out on me. I think it may have had something to do with me towing, but neither I nor the four tire techs, the two service managers, or the regional VP could figure it out. I loved those tires, but I couldn't justify replacing them every 20k miles. Here's a pic @ 8k...

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
yea that sucks. Mine are wearing awesome. Well for me they have been an awesome tire, and they really make the truck look mean

·
Registered
2000 F350 Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4wd
1,425 Posts
So would you say that they are not that well suited for towing? What would make a tire chunk like that?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I guess maybe too much weight, to much spinnin, bad batch of tires?? In his case im gonna go with too much weight or a bad set of tires, but i have no idea, not a tire guy

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
I guess maybe too much weight, to much spinnin, bad batch of tires?? In his case im gonna go with too much weight or a bad set of tires, but i have no idea, not a tire guy
That's what is crazy is that those all were suggested as probable causes and the only thing we could come up with was a bad batch of tires. FWIW, I had never spun the tires and my pin weight on my 5er was 1800 lbs for a GVWR on the truck at a little under 10k. They warranteed the back two tires (which were the worst of the four) and put them on the front (standard practice). After the front tires started chunking again (different batch), I bought a set of ProComp Xtreme AT's. No problems with those.

Again, I loved those tires and still love the aggressive look of them. You'll notice I don't have any pics of the new tires... :hehe:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
how do you like those pro comps? they have some nice looking tires for good prices. I would like to get a set of toyo mt's but cant justify the money for them. I can get these mickeys for 150 each out the door from a guy I know up here so for that price assuming they dont fall apart like yours I will probably keep running these.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
how do you like those pro comps? they have some nice looking tires for good prices. I would like to get a set of toyo mt's but cant justify the money for them. I can get these mickeys for 150 each out the door from a guy I know up here so for that price assuming they dont fall apart like yours I will probably keep running these.
They are great and holding up well-no chunking at all in 10k miles, although not nearly as aggressive looking! Only problem is they are directional and as expensive as the MTZ's. After my third set of tires in about 8 months, the wife said I had to get something with a warranty! :doh: You are getting those tires for a great price! When it's time for some new ones, I'm going to check out Scott @ AYP tires and see what kind of deal he can make me. :nod:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's really weird, it must have just been a bad batch of tires.

i had the XAT's on my last truck and I really wasn't impressed by the way they were wearing for a tire that supposedly is good for 40000 miles. I don't drive my vehicles hard at all, but after only 6 months and about 5000 miles they were already down to 75% tread.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked the tires, but for that price, if I'm buying a tire that sounds like a mud-terrain and wears like a mud-terrain, I want it to actually be a mud-terrain.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you don't want to get the toyo's which is the best m/t I've ever had(not considering price):tard:. Then go with Micky Thompson Radial Claw. I've had alot of m/t's and there the only ones I've bought 3 sets of. Best all-around tire for the money. IMO :thumb:

·
Registered
776 Posts
My MT tires are good for over 3000Lbs, Make sure they are good for 70Lbs air pressure.

·
Now I'm Strokin6.4Liters
2,447 Posts
I had the exact tires that you want to get on my 2005 F250 and they are a great tire. They wear great and work awesome in the mud. Just be sure and keep them balanced or they will give you a rough ride

·
Registered
1,392 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well I still don't have the mtz's yet. I was supposed to have my Xtreme ATs and Classic II's from my gmc sold, but the buyer backed out so I have to wait a little longer until they do. :doh:

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I want to get the mtz's for a summer tire with new rims that I plan on getting ...

I wanna keep my bfg at's on stock wheels for winter but I dont want them to chunk like the ones on the previous page.. I tow alot in the summer..

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
had em on my last rig and towed a 26' toy hauler @10k lbs loaded. no problems at all and the noise wasnt that bad. about the same as bfg a/t

1 - 20 of 24 Posts