Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides the device sold by dieselsite.com, are there any other ways to find boost leaks?

Other than leaks around the boots, what are the other most common areas of boost leaks?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
usually its always in the boots. Possibly where the compressor side of the turbo butts into the IC tube, but not likely. You can make a boost leake detector similar to the dieselsite one with parts from home depot. As far as I know adding air to the system is the only way to find leaks

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Powerbreak while somebody is spraying soapy water on the boots. If there is a leak, there will be bubbles. Soapy water works real good for finding refrigeration leaks.

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Powerbreak while somebody is spraying soapy water on the boots. If there is a leak, there will be bubbles. Soapy water works real good for finding refrigeration leaks.

Please don't try this at home. Leave it for the proffessionals who are to cheap to buy a tool! lol!!!!
There are posts on making them with plumbing supplies. I agree that majority of the time ot is the boots that leak.

NCH

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I did a little research and found that the waste gate rod has come off the post! I can only assume if this happens, all my boost gets dumped - right? :dunno:

Furthermore, is it possible to re-attach that thing without removing the turbo? I would have tried but the mosquitos were about to carry me off.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
yea, id say you hit the nail on the head on that one. you can connect it with the turbo on. i cant remember the NAPA part number but go in there and look for CIRCULAR LINKAGE CLIPS. I think you need the 1/4" one. They come in a pack of 4. 2-1/8", 2-1/4" They are much easier to put on.:thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts