Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am currently in a battle with my local dealership over some of my recent service bills. I am not trying to be greedy and not looking to get every penny back from them. However, after reading what they did/didn't diagnose correctly as the problem seems to have snowballed into a larger problem costing thousands of dollars in what I deem as "extra repairs" caused by the dealership's mechanics not pinpointing the problem earlier/correcting the problem initially. Their initial misdiagnoses or lack of a diagnoses makes me feel like I shouldn't have to pay for anything but that doesn't sit right with me. Just wondering what you all think. Here's a copy of all my service records and I'll give a brief explanation of each one.

Brought my truck in at 52,293km or 32,493 miles for some warranty work and I had just experienced my first case of death wobble. It was "severe" enough that I brought it to the attention of the service writer and since my truck was going to be at the dealership anyways, why not get someone to look at the front end? Please see the highlighted job number for the specifics. The bill for this diagnosis below, $145.95. Guess it doesn't help their case that the factory trained technician said I have a lift. Has he never seen/worked on an FX4 model? My truck is at stock height. I only have the FX4 package. No lift or leveling kit.

Fast forward 3915km or 2432 miles and my regular service/maintenance interval. I bring my truck in and during their multi-point inspection, am told that I need brake pads all around and the rotors turned/mchined. As well, am advised I have a blown/cracked DPF. The dealership didn't have a DPF so they had to order one in from a different city. It would be the the next day but it still resulted in a second trip to the dealership for a part that they said was in stock in their dealership but no one was able to locate it. I once again bring up my ongoing issue with death wobble on my truck even though it hadn't got any worse since the initial death wobble concern I had mentioned before. Only now, am I told that I have major front end issues with my truck. Please see job 1 listed in the photo below. I get a bill at the end for the regular maintenance service, brake pads, rotors turned, and labor for $872.64.

As a result of the above, I spend ~$1200 on purchasing an aftermarket OEM direct replacement HD trackbar and draglink from Trevor at Precision Metal Fab. I get the dealership to install these items. Well, there's my first problem. I got a dealership that is familiar with OEM parts to install aftermarket parts on my truck. However, they do guarantee their labor for 1 year or 20,000km so I figured, what do I have to lose? If they can't do it right the first time, I'll just bring it back until it's don correctly. I was assured by the service writer when I brought my truck in that they were 100% capable and confident that they could install the aftermarket parts without a problem. They installed them alright. However, there was a massive amount of play in the steering wheel. I could move the steering wheel about 3 inches in either direction before the wheels would actually turn. I immediately flip a sh*t hook as I'm barely out of the dealership's paring lot and go and raise some he!l. Talk to the shop foreman and he thinks I'm bullsh*tting him. So, I throw him my keys and tell him to take it for a rip. The shop foreman says that the tech probably didn't align the vehicle as the steering wheel was ****eyed to drive in a straight line but he thought it was odd that my truck would be off the alignment rack if it still needed to be a aligned. I had just returned my loaner car and asked the shop foreman if he wanted me to take the loaner vehicle back so hey could keep my truck another day and get everything tightened up and figured out. He said no, that wasn't necessary and that my truck was fine to drive. Against my better judgement, I take my truck and drive it with poor alignment. I get the dealership's front-end mechanic to get in touch with Trevor at PMF to figure out what was going on. Again, no resolution. Was told by the mechanic that there was nothing he could do. He blamed the aftermarket trackbar as the problem. I am not happy with that diagnoses so I go and get a second opinion. This second opinion tells me that the lower trackbar/panhard bar heim joint is loose and has play in it. I go back to the dealership and tell them about my new-found information. The shop foreman that I had been dealing with calls the old front-end guy who had been on sick leave to come and take a look at my setup as he verified that the second opinion's claim was valid. The old front end guy starts to tell me that the heim joint is worn out. I called him out on that saying that the trackbar was installed 3 weeks ago and that I had this issue since the start, from right after they installed it. Once again, another phone call is made to Trevor at PMF for more technical assistance. After the shop foreman talked to Trevor he found out that there were two types of races and believes that the one I have, when swapped out with a poly one will be the answer to my problem. However, he still blames the aftermarket parts as the cause of my issue. I once again called him out as I said that the clicking from what I presume is from the pitman arm and trackbar is still present and that was there prior to the aftermarket parts. I am currently waiting for those poly races to show up. They should be here sometime this week and my truck will promptly go in when they show up. Hopefully, the dealership can figure everything out and I can have a truck that drives like it did when new.

And finally, the bill. $2425.31. Don't have an itemized bill as the dealership still has this repair order open because they haven't completed the work to my satisfaction. Upon further inspection, when they were installing the trackbar, draglink, and castor adjusters, I find out that my steering gear was damaged. Most likely, as a result of the death wobble.

Now, my question. How much of these repairs am I actually responsible for? Had the trackbar bushing issue found in the very first inspection been diagnosed correctly and the problem, had it been replaced, would I have needed a draglink and new steering gear? There was so much play in the stock trackbar bushing that the old front end mechanic that was on sick leave had never seen a trackbar bushing pounded that far out in 30 years. In 4000km, how does sh*t hit the fan to the tune of $4000+ in front end work being needed? After all, my truck is a 2009 with 61,000km or 37,900 miles on it. Not like it's been abused or has significant time on it. To make matters more complicated, when I brought my truck in the first time for my death wobble issues, I was still covered by Ford's bumper to bumper warranty. However, since everything was determined to be within Ford's spec, there was no warranty claim or anything the dealership would do. I recently found out that I was on the upper limit of Ford's tolerances but still fell within their tolerances so there was nothing the dealership could do.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Sorry to hear about all your sh###y luck. This seems to be fairly common nowadays. It really makes a person think when these dealerships advertise that they have professionally trained machanics working on our vehicles.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Its a mess, I can be of no help other than wish you good luck man.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
hate to direct you to another site but try thedieselstop.com. theres an active ford service guy on there.

this a huge reason id rather do the work myself and or an aftermarket shop. some dealerships are absolutely incompentent. good luck. so glad i didnt trade for a 6.7. they have their share of problems and techs know even less about them.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Very ****ty situation, very glad I read this too as I won't be bringing my truck to them now. The one service guy I spoke with seemed to know the 6.4 but the issues you brought up far outweigh that. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
damn dude that sucks. what i would do is go to another ford dealer and see what they think the other ford dealer should be responsible for lol

·
Administrator
30,455 Posts
I have followed your threads with disgust for this dealer
however I thought you had an easier path of recourse in Canada
through your legal system ? or am I just misinformed ?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hate to direct you to another site but try thedieselstop.com. theres an active ford service guy on there.
I'll probably go over there and make a post. Thanks for the heads up.

damn dude that sucks. what i would do is go to another ford dealer and see what they think the other ford dealer should be responsible for lol
I'll make sure not to go to a dealership that's affiliated with the dealership I go to. Might just get a second opinion from a local 4x4 shop that I've used in the past to install some aftermarket accessories on my truck and see what they have to say.

I have followed your threads with disgust for this dealer
however I thought you had an easier path of recourse in Canada
through your legal system ? or am I just misinformed ?
Our legal system is a joke here. It's so backed up that they give criminals a 2 for 1 time served credit. Even small claims court would take a lot of time and money. I'd probably have better luck with calling Visa and telling them that I'm not satisfied with the services I was provided and with the credit card I have, there's consumer purchase protection so I could file a claim through them and maybe get some money back. Not 100% sure how that works but I'm willing to find out if it's a course of action. The dealership/service manager is willing to work with me as he said he'd review my last few bills for the front end work and adjust the price accordingly after I showed him the bills I posted above saying it's your dealership's/mechanic's fault that I'm in this mess and was told I could continue driving my truck even with death wobble present. I just don't know how much to ask for back. The more I think about it, the more I think I'm entitled to. Doubt that will go over well with the dealership so I thought I'd ask org members to chime in. I bought all the aftermarket parts myself so I think I should be just on the hook for the labor needed to install the trackbar. Then again, the first bill says that there's play in the trackbar bushing but it isn't the cause of the death wobble. Therefore, why should I even pay for that?

·
Registered
152 Posts
WOW. Unbelievable. I think that if you keep at them you will get your issues resolved. I would suggest legal action, but based on your post above... Never mind.

I think you would be responsible for noting except for installation of the aftermarket part (labor). Due to the fact that you complained and brought the truck in prior to your warranty expiring. Obviously you cant expect ford to cover installation of an after market part under warranty. AND THAT IS IT!

I had a similar problem, but with a butterfly valve in my AC system. It was stuck open/closed (I don't know which) and was causing hot air to constantly be blown through the passenger vents. I had two service advisors and one tech tell me it was "normal" because I was using the dual climate control feature. They said and I quote "The system only blows cold air on the driver side, the passenger side blows ambient air". Basically they were saying that the passenger side only circulated air in the cabin. Like I said though it was blowing HOT! People could not sit on the passenger side....

So (same dealer) I found out a friend of mine transferred there as a service advisor. I told him about the problem and it was fixed right away! I like you the first time was close to the 36k mile mark. I ended up having the problem fixed after 36k miles and no charge.

The service advisors have quite a bit of power. I see this now with my buddy working there. Keep at them, I think they will fold. You seem to have done a very good job at keeping your records straight.

Kyle

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW. Unbelievable. I think that if you keep at them you will get your issues resolved. I would suggest legal action, but based on your post above... Never mind.

I think you would be responsible for noting except for installation of the aftermarket part (labor). Due to the fact that you complained and brought the truck in prior to your warranty expiring. Obviously you cant expect ford to cover installation of an after market part under warranty. AND THAT IS IT!
I'm sure this will get resolved one way or another. Whether or not I'm satisfied with the end result is a completely different issue. Not sure how easily or quickly a dealership wants to refund a customer's money. They already have my money so they're in no hurry to give it back. The shop foreman and service manager both said they'd get to the bottom of the bills once my trackbar issue is fixed. What's wrong with multi-tasking and dealing with two issues at once or at least trying to figure out why mechanic #1 said one thing and mechanic #2 says another thing, ultimately costing $4000 worth of repairs? I keep running around in circles and the shop foreman is annoyed with me? I just want answers and not lame excuses. I do preventative maintenance on my vehicles so I don't end up with excessive bills. Why wasn't this caught earlier? I'll take pictures of my OEM trackbar bushing that is way out. Honestly, how far could it have possibly moved in 4000km and if it wasn't the cause of my death wobble as described by mechanic #1, what was?

If Ford had to replace the trackbar under warranty, what's the difference in labor between an OEM unit and an aftermarket trackbar? The labor would still more or less be the same regardless of whether it was Ford spec or an aftermarket trackbar. The dealership would also get to keep that warranty replacement trackbar as it is no use to me since I bought an aftermarket part. Seems like the dealership would come out ahead in this case as they'd be up a ~$500 OEM trackbar that they could see to another customer that's out of warranty.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If Ford had to replace the trackbar under warranty, what's the difference in labor between an OEM unit and an aftermarket trackbar? The labor would still more or less be the same regardless of whether it was Ford spec or an aftermarket trackbar. The dealership would also get to keep that warranty replacement trackbar as it is no use to me since I bought an aftermarket part. Seems like the dealership would come out ahead in this case as they'd be up a ~$500 OEM trackbar that they could see to another customer that's out of warranty.
Hmmm.... I do see your point. You're right, you probably should not have to pay for that either. You bought the part on your own dime. Just wanted install.

Keep working them over. I think at that point they would probably work with you just to get you to quit bugging them. Know what I mean? :taze:

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Good luck alberta advantage. Dealing with death wobble is a PITA to begin with and then having a dealer like that is even worse. I had a dodge that had death wobble so bad i finally got rid of it and thats how i ended up with my ford. Good luck bro and sorry for your troubles. Hopefully you get it taken care of.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
this is why I buy my trucks out of warranty... they're not worth the paper they're printed on
I've had relatively good luck with getting things through warranty in the past under the bumper to bumper warranty. My Oasis report is currently 3 pages long. Everything from the infamous washer nozzles breaking and rad hoses leaking to getting the inside of my door repainted as the paint was chipping and flaking. Also managed to get an entire new interior because my leather was fading. Still waiting for a few more seat bottoms and backs to show up at the dealership as they're a "no stock USA item."

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Talked to the service manager today. We're working backwards to find a solution. After he talked to the shop foreman, they've come to the conclusion that they'll for sure reimburse me the cost of the steering gear and the labor to install that. The service manager is going to talk with the original tech who said that there was play in the trackbar but that wasn't the cause of the death wobble to see why he said that and why nothing was investigated further. He's been on sick leave and is back later this week. I'm also going after them for the cost of the aftermarket draglink and trackbar I bought since I was told I was out of warranty when in fact, the first service record of my death wobble issues was within the bumper to bumper warranty period and I definitely would have gone with OEM parts had they been covered by Ford. Seems like things are falling into place. Just takes a lot of time and effort but the end result should be worth it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Wow, well at least progress is being made.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'd be interested too, wonder if my comment when I called in how they can only give me answers but will never see my truck due to their service had something to do with it ;)

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
very good news. what changed their minds and offered to make good on their service/warranty?
I have absolutely no idea what changed. In all honesty, the dealership isn't a bad dealership. When they do make a mistake they work with you to make it right. Sure, it's annoying to have to chase them around and bring your vehicle in multiple times for the same thing but they do try and make it right. I don't know if the dealership is trying to put this through as warranty work or not for the steering gear and labor. Either way, the aftermarket parts I bought won't be covered by Ford so the dealership will have to eat the $1200 cost of the trackbar and draglink if they agree to pay. From talking to the service manager about that, he said it may be a possibility. He didn't outright say no or deny that this was the problem. He said he'd have to talk to the tech that originally diagnosed/misdiagnosed the issue as to why he didn't think it was the trackbar. All I know is that I have $3717.98 into the front end of my truck. Draglink, trackbar, steering gear, castor adjusters, and labor. I'm not including the Bilstein dual steering stabilizer in that amount as that's kind of an extra I put on my truck. All I know is that after I put the new trackbar, draglink, and steering gear in, the death wobble has stopped. Seems like the trackbar was the original issue which caused a calamity of other parts to go as a result of not fixing the trackbar when the bushing was loose.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts