Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I decided I am going to do the manly thing and change my oil this weekend.

Problem is, I've never done it, so me needs a little guidance. I search for a bit on this topic, but did find nuttin. I didn't look hard either.

So, first question, where do I drain it? Is it the nut on the bottom of the oil pan? Or what I think is the oil pan. Big and black thing on the bottom of the engine.

Second, where the hell is the oil filter? Is it the one next to the fuel filter? I changed my fuel filter a bit ago, so know where that's at.

I know this is stupid, but I need help.

BTW, I paid $22.24 for a Motorcraft oil filter. Is that good or bad?

Damn I sound like a noob now.

LMAO

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
So, I decided I am going to do the manly thing and change my oil this weekend.

Problem is, I've never done it, so me needs a little guidance. I search for a bit on this topic, but did find nuttin. I didn't look hard either.

So, first question, where do I drain it? Is it the nut on the bottom of the oil pan? Or what I think is the oil pan. Big and black thing on the bottom of the engine.

Second, where the hell is the oil filter? Is it the one next to the fuel filter? I changed my fuel filter a bit ago, so know where that's at.

I know this is stupid, but I need help.

BTW, I paid $22.24 for a Motorcraft oil filter. Is that good or bad?

Damn I sound like a noob now.

LMAO
The oil filter is the black cap next to the fuel filter. You can use the same socket to get it off as you did the fuel filter (36mm, I think). Loosen the filter cap and let the oil drain into the oil pan.

Then drain the pan with the nut at the bottom. It will hold about 17 quarts, so have a big enough drain pan.

What you paid for a motocraft filter is not too bad. I prefer the Wix filter personally. It is a little taller (more filter media and volume), and it comes with a new filter cap. It is also constructed a little better. And it runs about a buck or two more than a motocraft filter.

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts
Damn noobs!!! :D Well it's about time, Mark. I am much happier knowing that I changed my oil and that it was done correctly.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
is this your first oil change ever?

i would image its the same on the 6.0. simple, easy.

btw not sure on the part number for the 6.4 but walmart sells motorcraft filters for the 6.0 and 7.3 there. for the 6.0 part # FL2016 for $16.XX

·
Registered
371 Posts
Remembers, those there engines holds alot of that there oil so makes darns sure you usees a big enuff bucket or you wills have oil all over the drive ways. I usees a 5 gal pale, fits perfectly under that there power plant.

Why is I's talkins like this?

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The oil filter is the black cap next to the fuel filter. You can use the same socket to get it off as you did the fuel filter (36mm, I think). Loosen the filter cap and let the oil drain into the oil pan.

Then drain the pan with the nut at the bottom. It will hold about 17 quarts, so have a big enough drain pan.

What you paid for a motocraft filter is not too bad. I prefer the Wix filter personally. It is a little taller (more filter media and volume), and it comes with a new filter cap. It is also constructed a little better. And it runs about a buck or two more than a motocraft filter.
Thank you very much. That's about how I thought it was going to go, but I wanted to make sure.

Damn noobs!!! :D Well it's about time, Mark. I am much happier knowing that I changed my oil and that it was done correctly.
Seriously, those noobs are hell on the ORG. Posting stupid crap that's already discussed and stuff.

I will feel better doing myself, but the money savings is a big plus. That's what pushed me to do the fuel filters. I couldn't swallow a $186 for that.

is this your first oil change ever?

i would image its the same on the 6.0. simple, easy.

btw not sure on the part number for the 6.4 but walmart sells motorcraft filters for the 6.0 and 7.3 there. for the 6.0 part # FL2016 for $16.XX
First ever doing it myself. Jolene has had a few lube jobs before, but this time it's my turn do it. I don't like other people touching my woman anyway.

·
I wanna go fast!
632 Posts
The 6.0L oil filter is the same for the 6.4L

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
I wanna go fast!
632 Posts
Id be careful with those, ive got several friends who have painted their driveways and mine black bc the pan wouldnt vent fast enough and started flowing over!

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts
Mine has overflowed before, but not because of capacity. That's the same as the drain pan I have, but it drains from the truck faster than it can go in the little hole... :doh: Installing a fumoto valve allowed it to slow down the drain from the truck just enough to eliminate this problem. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Id be careful with those, ive got several friends who have painted their driveways and mine black bc the pan wouldnt vent fast enough and started flowing over!
I just read all the reviews on it. They don't speak too highly of this thing.

But will a 5 gallon bucket fit under the truck without jacking it up?

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOoks like I better put a slip n slide in the front yard while I'm at it. By the sounds of it I am going to have oil all over God and creation.

BTW, after I change the oil, I am gonna do the harpoon mod. How much beer should I have on standby for this event?

Should the neighborhood watch and fire department be notified?

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
I have an older truck and yes a 5 gallon bucket fits under mine.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have an older truck and yes a 5 gallon bucket fits under mine.
Hmmm... I likes da sound of that. Though my truck is stock height. Will have to find out later today.

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
yeah im sure it will if not. Flex your truck on one of ur front tires and it will fit under:thumb:

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
I can get a 5 gallon bucket under the pan, but once its full, its going to stay under the truck unless you dont' have running boards :dunno:

Mark, do yourself a favor and try and get a Fumoto valve before changing the oil. It will replace the drain plug, and let future oil changes use less rags, and keep the oil in the drain pan. I've sprayed me and my drive down with oil, and the diesel oil WILL stay on your hands for a while, unless you use some brake cleaner or something :nod:. I wear gloves now, I know :supergay: but the wife won't let me touch her with the black stuff in all the cracks in my hands :wink[3]:

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can get a 5 gallon bucket under the pan, but once its full, its going to stay under the truck unless you dont' have running boards :dunno:

Mark, do yourself a favor and try and get a Fumoto valve before changing the oil. It will replace the drain plug, and let future oil changes use less rags, and keep the oil in the drain pan. I've sprayed me and my drive down with oil, and the diesel oil WILL stay on your hands for a while, unless you use some brake cleaner or something :nod:. I wear gloves now, I know :supergay: but the wife won't let me touch her with the black stuff in all the cracks in my hands :wink[3]:
I've got me a set of chrome step bars, you know the ones from Ford.

I will think of something.

Meanwhile, if any of y'all have any creative ideas, please let me know. I plan on doing this tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
Just run one of ur front tires on a board or something and it will flex... it will fit then

·
Super Moderator
3,942 Posts
I just use a big green oil drain pan that I got from Walmart. That holds all of it. And I agree with the Fumoto valve. That makes life a lot easier!!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts